Anyone been through the AOW process in MI?

As far as I know, it's still a "No go" on SBS, SBR, AOW, and suppressors. The exception being if it is a full Class III, then it is allowed to ALSO be an SBR, etc.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/12/michigan-petition-regarding-nf.html

AOW must also be built on a virgin receiver/trunnion, whereas an SBS/SBR can be a converted shotgun/rifle.

I did some research recently because I need a gun muffler in a bad way. I hope it helps, even if its not what you wanted to hear.

I'm pretty sure you CAN own AOWs in MI.

Link

It says you can own full autos, DDs and AOWs. SBSs and SBRs are ok too, but only if they're C&R eligible. At least that's how I read it.

Edited by Corbin

Just got off the phone with a local (MI) friend that's been waiting on ATF approval of a Saiga 12 AOW for quite some time now. I think it has more to do with Tom (from Cadiz) getting them ATF approved as AOWs than anything else. I DID see a Serbu at the Birch Run gfun show a while back though. The owner wasn't a dealer or anything, just a guy with a table selling holsters and laser sights. The Serbu was just a conversation piece, I guess.

Edited by Corbin
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news! (not great, but good)

Re: Michigan Attorney General Opinion Regarding MCL 750.224

TO: 1 recipient

Show Details

Message body

Dear Mr. H.:

Thank you for your e-mail urging my office to request an Attorney General's Opinion regarding Michigan law 750.224 as it relates to sound suppression devices and other National Firearms Act regulated items. Specifically, you are requesting a ruling as it pertains to an individual's right to manufacture a firearm or a suppression device under the National Firearms Act.

I certainly appreciate your interest in this issue. You will be pleased to learn that State Representative

Mark Meadows has already requested an Attorney General's Opinion on this exact issue. I have contacted Rep. Meadows' office to request a copy of the opinion when it is received in that office.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me on this issue. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents.

Sincerely,

Sean McCann

State Representative

60th District

• 2 weeks later...

No problem on AOW's in MI. You're better off contacting a manufacturer to buy one/register one for you as they can do this much more cheaply than you can with your "making tax."

Jake (FFL/SOT)

PM sent. Please please please tell me suppressors will be legal soon......

I'll be watching this thread closely. Never had much use for a PGO shotgun, unless barrel could be under 18", well under. I've even been checking around, Ithaca Stakeout, Mossy 590 (14"), the Kimel Kamper (basically a pre-chopped on both ends liquor store crackhead cannon or my favorite street term (actually a model name by a brand, 'Snake Charmer'), Serbu SS (don't care for the folding vfg to action bars setup, and probably just too short, and don't think their 20's come in Remington or Maverick, for a reachable safety), I think an Ithaca A&B might be my best option because I want something short and in 20 gauge. One for 3 AM door knocks, or in my lap driving thru bad area (and a .410 Judge does nothing for me), or other times you want to go real heavy, in real close quarters. I know some custom guys make Auto & Burglar style SxS pistols in 20, but no idea what they go for. Any link greatly appreciated, if anyone knows a smith who does these reasonable. Or even something exactly like the Wilson/SGT Concealment model, a 12.5" 870, but in 20 gauge. I feel it would perform just as well as 12, and add a great deal of control to a pistol grip sawed off. Is it still just a $5 tax? After i learn more in this thread, I'm sure I'll be starting the process for a Home D weapon that I'll be stuck with, not able to sell (quickly) when the going gets tough. Would really like a repro Ithaca A&B (perfect for what I have in mind, and if 2 shots are not enough a hicap pistol is inches away) 20 gauge, barrels in the 10-12" range. But I have no idea what they cost. The 590's, which I loved my trench gun 20" SP model, don't cost much at all. i am positive the ithaca Slamfire stakeout came in 20 but all I'm seeing online is 12 gauges, at various prices ranging into custom Saiga 12 simple conversion price range. But as a 80's kid, seeing Ricardo Tubbs blow the crooks of Miami out their shoes with one, it may have been my first favorite gun.

• 3 weeks later...

jmacken37-I received your E-mail concerning suppressors the other day (the one posted on MGO) I will be in touch with you in a few months when my trust is complete and I've ordered all the new "toys". Thanks again for the assistance through the process.

I was actually looking at a Serbu for a simple breacher. I'd like an AOWed S12 but at the price point........It ain't worth it

I will have to check out Cadiz. If they could do a S-20, might kill at least 2 birds with one stone for me. Nothing special. The first Saiga shotgun I saw a pic of was an S-20 C, plain muzzle, Bulgy triangle stock. That without the stock. Not an AKS-12U (or the AK-74 style S-12 by Tac 47 currently saving for) by any means but Russian looking, how I like 'em.

Not so crazy about the Ithaca anymore. I'd like one, but am putting the Tac-47 S-12 and a Mac 10/11 SMG(of any variety, hopefully at or below 3 grand but will go over for Powder Springs vs. SWD M-11/9 if it comes to a few hundered) at the top of the list. That should eat all disposable income for a while to come.

What cans are all you guys going to get now?