Bulgarian (10) or (21) or Yugo AK Mags ??

I am a Newbi that just bought his first AK,, done a search but still not sure and need your help. Exactly what is the difference between a Bulgarian circle 10 and a circle 21 mag ? I see that most people like or at least talk about it more that the circle 10 is better and are more expensive. I want to pick up a few extra but want the most reliable trouble free possible. My dealer has Bulgarian, Yugo, US-Palm, Korean, ect., ect., ect.,,,, I am sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it in the search engine.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :beer:

The forum's search function doesn't bring up as much as you'd like, unfortunately. From my understanding, the different numbers inside the double circles (10, 21 and the more rare single circle 25) designate which factory in Bulgaria made that particular magazine. I've seen them smooth sided (5.45 mm) and "waffled" The waffled ones are imported to the U.S. by K-Var (I think exclusively).

ak74556magazine.jpg

Here are some smooth sided ones:

bulgy_blacks.jpg

All of them are good, in my opinion. They have the internal metal reinforcement where needed, but reduced weight elsewhere by use of polymers. I THINK that the smooth sided ones (I've heard them called "slab-sided") are designed after the Russian magazines, while the waffled ones are commercial variations. I can't guarantee that though, as I'm not an expert on this.

HERE is a link that might help explain things better than I could.

I hope this helped.

Edited by Corbin

I assume this is an AK47?

Regular chinese and eastern european metal mags are good to go. They will take a beating. Battle proven!

There are Bulgarian surplus mags and mags they make for export. Not sure if they make em differently, I've heard mixed reports, but I try to stick to surplus.

Edited by Arik

I assume this is an AK47?

Regular chinese and eastern european metal mags are good to go. They will take a beating. Battle proven!

There are Bulgarian surplus mags and mags they make for export. Not sure if they make em differently, I've heard mixed reports, but I try to stick to surplus.

+1 Stick with Mil Surp. and you will be fine. Take them apart clean them. I dont lube them (gathers dirt) put them together and good to go.

Most of mine are 21 and no problems. I wait to see like 4 mags (new) with the pouch then I get 8 at a time.

Yes it is for an AK-47,,

They only have the Circle 21 mags ,Yugo mags and European mags in stock now,, any prefererence between these 3 choices? The 21's are firebrick red and brown. Everyone at the shop says the Bulgarian 21's are their choice but I wanted to ask the professionals first. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Edited by Kyredneck

Fire brik red? Like bakelite? In 7.62? Don't think those are all that common. Mostly common on AK74s in 5.45 cal.

ANY European metal mag is fine. Yugos are clearly battle proven. Most are just as good as the next. They are built like tanks! But the (21) are fine too. Personally I prefer milsurp steel.

Fire brik red? Like bakelite? In 7.62? Don't think those are all that common. Mostly common on AK74s in 5.45 cal.

ANY European metal mag is fine. Yugos are clearly battle proven. Most are just as good as the next. They are built like tanks! But the (21) are fine too. Personally I prefer milsurp steel.

OOOPS,, Your right,, I called back over there and they were 5.45 sitting next too the 7.62's,, see I"m a Noob!! :unsure:

I think I'm going with the Yugo mags, kinda like the idea of the last round bolt hold open on them. $15 each.

Edited by Kyredneck