Lake City XM193....oh crap

IndyArms I would give you some ammo but I already gutted two thirds of my box.

The ammo has major variances. I have measured and weighed the primed brass, powder charge, bullet weight and it is VERY bad.

msgw357 I would not be to too surprised. The tolerances are well off and some well out of C.I.P. or SAAMI specs and way too dangerous.

I will be making a range visit this Saturday and I am willing to bet the accuracy tests will tell me the ammo is junk.

G O B a minimum charge should never go below 70% case capacity. If you go below a filler should be used to prevent the primer flame front from over shooting the powder charge and igniting the powder from both sides creating a catastrophic failure.

EXACTLY! A little bit too much powder and you get a lot too much BOOM!

I did measure the powder charge and they were the same though I don't have the charge written down in front of me at the moment but I will post it when I find where I wrote it. I have not checked to see what the specified charge should be though either so while I'm doubtful I had two rounds loaded hot in the same exact amount, given the degree of issues had with this ammo I also wouldn't be a bit surprised. I'd really like to get a hold of about 100 rounds from the fella and have the time toreview 50 of them and fire the remainder from the machine rest and see what happens.

Well old lot shot finally...craptastic accuracy.

I did some 5 shot groups and was pleasantly surprised 2.5 to 3in...OK time for some optics to see what this thing can really do as well as some more trigger time.

Back on track here got a second batch of XM193 different lot hope this one fairs better. This lot was recommended by a friend and so far just weighing the loaded cases I am beginning to see why. The cases on average are between .3-.8 grains difference.

Just to let you guys know it is not current production. It was some older stock he had and he didn't even give me the box for it. He did mention they are a little hotter than the standard XM193 as well. Sounds to me this can get interesting. He did say it is safe for a SAIGA since the way they are military grade.

I will let you guys know how that goes next range visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well shot some of the ammo I was given. The SAIGA averages 2"-3" at 50 yards with XM193 some of which is probably me and the other th SAIGAS dislike for the ammo. I'm sure it could be much better.

The guy next to me at the range had an Arsenal Inc. chambered in 5.45x39.5 and the best he could do even with quality optics was 6"-9" at 50 yards.

Well I've beaten this dead horse into the ground and then some.

Results XM193 is not MILSPEC.

A few reasons is the large muzzle flash that renders all night vision useless.

Chamber pressures are 55000PSI max which is SAMMI specs. for .223. The only thing MILSPEC. is the brass.

MILSPEC ammo should have a pressure near 60000PSI and the primers should have thicker cups.

Sorry no military grade ammo here. It's just loaded to 223 peak pressure.

Thanks for the info 7.62. Maybe the loud report is what always seems to draw the Range Masters attention. I don't think I'll buy any more of this ammo. Next visit to the range will be fun. I just ordered my conversion parts. SGM quad-rail, Hogue pistol grip, bullet ramp, FCG, retainer plate, trigger guard, Circle 10 mags, etc. I can't wait.

Stumbled on this thread researching .223 Saigas.

The XM193 was an experimental round Federal was testing for the DOD. It failed, thus they marketed it for civilian use. My cousin builds ARs as a hobby, and WILL NOT fire XM193 even if being eaten by rogue biker zombies. He's had XM193 blow up one of his builds, and thus no longer uses it. When he pulled the bullets from the remainder, no two shells had the same charge. Fluke? Maybe. Federal did replace the rifle, however.