Pretty sure the opinion letter was a little more specific - IF the barrel length is under 16", the OAL is over 26", AND the weapon is not intended to be fired from the shoulder, it is a "firearm," not a rifle or handgun. Entertainingly, if the barrel is OVER 16" but the OAL is UNDER 26" in its ready state (not folded/collapsed etc.) it's an SBR...

Same reason a shorter than 18" barrel was declared okay on a shotgun with an OAL over 26", if it was sans buttstock.

One of the odder rulings is the Tippman beltfed .22s, now made by Lakeside Guns. They're under 26" OAL, under 16" bbl, and not intended to be held and fired by a single hand - but the ATF decided as long as the tripod is permanently attached, they are classified as a "firearm" rather than an AOW.

• 1 month later...

One of the odder rulings is the Tippman beltfed .22s, now made by Lakeside Guns. They're under 26" OAL, under 16" bbl, and not intended to be held and fired by a single hand - but the ATF decided as long as the tripod is permanently attached, they are classified as a "firearm" rather than an AOW.

That's because they don't meet the definition of a rifle either, they're not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

I'm really considering the 11.5" Spikes upper with the KAC URX II @ AIMSurplus for my first pistol build. It looks so damn good, and the rail has a built-in front sight that folds down and is flush with the rail. It's actually a steal. $719 for the complete upper (free shipping). Add in the fact that the rail alone sells for $300, you're getting a great deal.

large_XSTU5010M4S.jpg

large_XSTU5010M4S1.jpg

large_XKA205493c.jpg

large_xstu5010m4s2.jpg

It would make a nice pistol to hold me over until I SBR a lower and slap a stock on it:

ehkashorty.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up a magpul rear sight. Still looking at hanguards. Samson evolution is the simplist to install but I might go with a YHM carbine length rail. I have a rifle lenth YHM rail on one of my other rifles and I pleased with it. I'm not too worried about the rail getting too hot, I tend to wear gloves when I shoot.

Any rail other rail out there then the samson that uses the stock barrel nut?

Saving up my loose change right now to finish it up. Cost of living is really putting a crimple on my toy budget these days. Stupid $3.50+ a gallon gas!mad.gif

Edited by Rusty truck
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still scrapping money together. My jeep broke down and I broke a window in it, that set me way back. Fortunately I didn't have to pay out a dime for the $1400+ in damages to my wife's car getting hit a couple weeks ago.

I don't know about every one else but things are getting any better around here, seems like my budget gets a little tighter every money between fuel, price of food and cost of living going up.

Fuel is killing us too so I hear ya. If its not me and the wife both commuting, there is the much needed fuel for the lawn tractor, weed eaters and propane weed burner for five acres.

The only good thing about this time of year is 556 is almost non existant right now so I can't buy any to drive up to the hills and shoot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not finished......booo.gif I suppose I could shoot it without the hand guard but burnt fingers suck.

Any one have a suggestion for a cheap free float carbine length quad rail?

Are you dead-set on a quad rail? Or could you use a tube handguard, that you can attach rails to?

Because you can pick up a Troy Alpha 7.2" tube from Primary Arms (they have great pricing on Troy stuff. I picked up my 13" Troy from them for about $30 cheaper than anyone else) for $129.

STRX-AL1-72BT-01-2.jpg?1333119794

It uses the standard barrel nut, so that's a plus.

• 3 weeks later...