Took my newly converted Saiga-12 dove hunting

Well, I just recently got into the Saiga 12 world. Bought the basic sporting gun and immediately converted it to a proper AK gun. And just to prove that this new AK shotgun has a sporting application, I took it dove hunting. I had converted the 5-rd mag to only accept 2 rounds so that it would be legal (load 2 in mag, chamber one, then reload the mag for a total of 3 shots). So... after I had a morning's less- than -productive shooting with my O/U, I decided to bring out the converted Saiga-12 and some low-brass field loads to see if I could hit anything. I proceeded to blast away at any dove that came near (the little buggers were flying awfully high). Finally bagged one that was foolish enough to fly lower. Now I can say that I've successfully used my AK shotgun to hunt. Take that BATF.

• Like 5

Well, I just recently got into the Saiga 12 world. Bought the basic sporting gun and immediately converted it to a proper AK gun. And just to prove that this new AK shotgun has a sporting application, I took it dove hunting. I had converted the 5-rd mag to only accept 2 rounds so that it would be legal (load 2 in mag, chamber one, then reload the mag for a total of 3 shots). So... after I had a morning's less- than -productive shooting with my O/U, I decided to bring out the converted Saiga-12 and some low-brass field loads to see if I could hit anything. I proceeded to blast away at any dove that came near (the little buggers were flying awfully high). Finally bagged one that was foolish enough to fly lower. Now I can say that I've successfully used my AK shotgun to hunt. Take that BATF.

I took a few birds with mine this year as well. I love hunting with it.

You get some funny looks, but everyone wants to try it out. :super:

• Like 1

Ha ha awesome! I plan on doing that this year with quail and actually think it will be funny if a game officer questions me about upland-bird hunting with an AK....LOL

As for the shell capacity issue I think KS allows 5 rds but I am not sure. If not I plan on fabricating a piece of wood or plastic into sections to put in the mag first that will hopefully act as a BHO as well. This way there is no question as to whether or not I am following the rules.

Ha ha awesome! I plan on doing that this year with quail and actually think it will be funny if a game officer questions me about upland-bird hunting with an AK....LOL

As for the shell capacity issue I think KS allows 5 rds but I am not sure. If not I plan on fabricating a piece of wood or plastic into sections to put in the mag first that will hopefully act as a BHO as well. This way there is no question as to whether or not I am following the rules.

Kansas only allows 3 shells. I live there. Put a plug in one or make one with AGP mag and slide on buttplate.

KS Regulation

No persons shall take migratory game birds:

• With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
  • With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.

• Like 1

Kansas only allows 3 shells. I live there. Put a plug in one or make one with AGP mag and slide on buttplate.

KS Regulation

No persons shall take migratory game birds:

• With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
  • With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.

Then by the numbers we would really be walking the fine line with our Saiga's; if someone really wanted to be a dick there is no way of rendering our shotguns compliant with them being magazine-fed.

thats not what I'm reading.

If you bring only mags that hold 2 rounds you should be in the clear. Removal of the magazine should be the same as removal of the tube and therefor a partial dissasembly by their regulation.

Ya as long as they share they share the same sentiment the ATF does regarding the parts of a shotgun. As is much of what we handle my state's regs were obviously not written with a magazine-fed shotgun in mind therefore leaving a "grey" area.

thats not what I'm reading.

If you bring only mags that hold 2 rounds you should be in the clear. Removal of the magazine should be the same as removal of the tube and therefor a partial dissasembly by their regulation.

Ya as long as they share they share the same sentiment the ATF does regarding the parts of a shotgun. As is much of what we handle my state's regs were obviously not written with a magazine-fed shotgun in mind therefore leaving a "grey" area.

But if your AK shotgun's plugged magazine will only hold two (and one in the chamber), and you aren't found with a different higher capacity mag on your person, then I'm sure that any game warden will be willing to accept the fact that you're hunting with a legal shotgun. They aren't all dicks.

I made a simple plug device by cutting a cardboard box flap such that when folded, it would fit between the two "towers" on the Saiga's 4-rd mag's base plate. Then I used aluminum ducting tape to wrap around the two towers and the cardboard to make it rigid and sturdy. I then trimmed the plug length to where I could insert 2 rounds and still have enough "spring" left to insert on a closed bolt. This worked out to a cardboard plug length of 3 1/2".

Everyone in my hunting group thought it was funny to see an AK shotgun down a dove.

• Like 1

Nice! I went yesterday with my Saiga. My first time dove hunting. I took down three and recovered two doves. It is not easy without a choked tube but fun. 25 round for 3 birds. I used a mag limiter from Cobra and it worked like a charm. I will be ordering another this week!