Some Basic Questions of a Noob

Hello I just bought a used Saiga rifle in 7.62x39mm. After I got home with it I did a little research on what I had just bought (knew of the shotguns but didn't know that much about the rifles). To make a long story short my rifle has been modified by the previous owner. How do I know? Well when I bought it they gave me what looks like a generic AK mag. Now I'm just guessing but I think mine has been converted to accept standard AK mags. Anyway my questions are these: 1.)How do I know if my gun is 922r compliant? 2.)How can I tell if it's the gun or the mag that has been modified? Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated. Oh it does have a front rail on it if that helps with the whole 922r thing.

Detailed pics would greatly help in answering the 922 question. One way to know us if the parts say "MADE UN US" or has a name of an American company on the part.

They all accept standard AK mags, converted or not. The mag well is the same.

If you have a pistol grip then it was at least partially converted. If it just has a stock and looks like say an M14, mini14, a pump shotgun .... then it has not been converted

For a Saiga you need/can change

Hammer

Sear

Trigger

Piston

pistol grip

Stock

Handguard

Muzzle device

You can use any combination but if you keep or replace or add a foreign part you must replce a part somewhere else. If you run out of parts to replace but still short on the 922 US made parts you can replace the foreign mag with a US made mag (3 parts. Body, floor plate, follower) or 2/3 if that's enough.

Read over the 922 stuff on here. Lots of info and a bit confusing at first but its really simple and in a matter of months you'll be looking to do another. :)

Edited by Arik

Welcome to S12.com.

Pics?

922r number of US made parts vs foreign made, not more than 10 foreign made parts to meet 922r.

Rifle has 14 foreign parts.

Common parts used, 1 stock, 1 forearm, 3 FCG, 3 mags, 1 piston.

922r check list, http://jobson.us/922r/

Is it converted with a pistol grip and the FCG moved forward?

100_9709.jpg

Does it have a bullet guide installed? Tab installed in front of chamber, lifts bullet's tip into chamber.

100_9108.jpg

Okay I finally got some time to snap some pics with my webcam (my main camera in on the fritz). Also I will be fitting a Kreb's Custom SVD style buttstock when it comes in the mail. That will help with 922 compliance right? Also is it possible to hire a professional gunsmith to modify my rifle to accept normal AK mags (legally I mean), or would I have to do that myself? EDIT:I don't think it has a feed ramp but I rarely experience feed errors so I can't be sure.

post-36695-0-90111200-1317110048_thumb.jpg

post-36695-0-66071200-1317110059_thumb.jpg

post-36695-0-25505200-1317110065_thumb.jpg

post-36695-0-97198500-1317110074_thumb.jpg

post-36695-0-21332100-1317110082_thumb.jpg

post-36695-0-55391900-1317110087_thumb.jpg

Edited by AaronPerson

A "Packaging list" Thats what it says on the very top.

Then you have what was packaged and how long it can be without re packaging (3 years)

Bottom is prof marks of the person who packaged it and the date

Looks like some one started the conversion by changing the handguard. Yes there are smiths who can make your rifle 922 compliant. Physically your rifle can take regular AK mags. Legally is a different story. Cant tell if you have a bullet guide from the pics. Need better pics. What bullets are you using when you get feed errors?

Yes anything US made goes towards the 922. So if you put the Krebs stock on you have one 922 part

Edited by Arik

Yes anything US made goes towards the 922. So if you put the Krebs stock on you have one 922 part

that might be a little confusing as written. if the parts are counted on the 922r sheet, and they are american, they count toward it. stocks, pistons, mags, etc do, things like the tromix oversized charging handle, do not.

Well I took my rifle to a gunsmith today and they inspected it and told me it has been modified. When I asked him about the whole 922 thing he said it is fine so I guess since it feeds/cycles/fires with no real problems I won't worry about it. Also is Yugo ammo really that good? Most name brands cost around 18-20 dollars for a box of twenty, the stuff I get is about $4 for a box of fifteen.

post-36695-0-02604100-1317167412_thumb.jpg

post-36695-0-38434200-1317167422_thumb.jpg

Edited by AaronPerson

The Saiga Rifle out of the box is not compliant with magazines in excess of 10 rounds

Soon as you put a standard ak47 magazine in that rifle it is illegal!!!

First off your gunsmith is WRONG.....That gun has only had a rail mounted on the gas tube and modified the stock handguard for it to fit.. TheTRIGGER GROUP is stock and not modified. You have NO BULLET GUIDE installed.. Which is why your having feeding problems. That BULLET GUIDE helps feed the rounds into the chamber.

Thats why you must use Surefire magazines which have a lip on the magazine that acts as a bullet guide...Standard ak47 magazines dont have this because its installed on the rifle. Its how they can ship the rifles in from russia. BECAUSE they cant accept 30rnd magazines and dont have a pistol grip . Also check your magazine catch to see if its been modified to accept surplus ak47 mags.

For 922r compliance parts, you must bring the foreign parts count down to ten or less with use of a magazine in excess of 10 rounds in a Saiga rifle.

Saiga rifles after fully converted like any other well built ak47 will eat up and spit out any ammo you can throw at her!!!

YUGO ammo is corrosive!!! which wont be a problem if you clean your rifle every time after you shoot it. Ak's are designed to shoot steel cased ammo. That more expensive stuff is most likey brass. Walmart stuff.. Its fine but more expensive.

Theres lots of places online that sell cheap 7.62x39 ammo. Id stick with Brown Bear and Wolf. Both under $5 for a box of 20. ive shot lots of yugo ammo also without any problems. On occasion with wolf you might get a bad primer but its good stuff for the price. I prefer Brown bear green box.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABB76239FMJ&name=Brown+Bear+7.62x39+123grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=39

First off your gunsmith is WRONG

dont get in trouble over misinformation. 922r only allows up to 10 foreign parts on a rifle with a 10+ capacity magazine or pistol grip. a standard saiga has 14 foreign parts and does not fall under 922r since it comes factory with a 5 round magazine. but by adding a magazine with capacity over 10, you then need to comply with 922r standards. the gas tube does not count toward 922r. therefore, you have 4 parts to many. its up to you if you wish to risk your freedom over it or not. i would spend 100 bucks to get a couple parts and just know that its safe to go out with.

Yugo ammo is cheaper because, amongst other things, its made in the 70s & 80s and they have warehouses upon warehouses of this stuff stored. However once its gone its gone. On the other hand new production ammo that's made here is made at todays prices for metal and employee wages. Just look at what happened to the 7.62x25 ammo. Until recently it was almost as cheap as .22 and then the surplus dried out and now its expansive.

Your rife is not 922 compliant.

So the gun can feed (but occasionally fails to feed) without the bullet guide? Also what if that is the magazine that came with the gun when I bought it? Is it still my fault? And I think I now get the whole 922 thing. And yeah the gunsmith I went to didn't really look at it much. Just a glance and "Yeah this looks alright". I may just have to buy a standard 10rd mag cause this is just becoming a headache. That or (god I really don't want to) sell the thing for an american made rifle that comes with a hi-cap magazine. I mean I love my Saiga but (pardon my French) Damn! Anyway thanks for any and all help given. I will try to figure out what I'm going to do.

even easier, you could buy a quad rail fore end (american) or a surefire tri rail. you could use those in conjunction with surefire, tapco, or (the dreaded) promag magazines. all of which are american and between the mags and foreend, you will have your four parts for your 922r compliance. the forend is 1 part, the mags are 3 (body, follower, floor plate)

Edited by GregM1

I see. I think I will either just get a factory 10rd mag till I can afford anything more complex. My work hours just got cut down so I can't afford too much right now. Where would be the best/cheapest to get factory mags. And just to make sure: Having a 10rd or less magazine will automatically make the gun 922 compliant. This isn't too bad as I like the sporter style (it's a bit more like the very sexy SVD sniper rifle).

• Like 1