SBR Length Opinions..

In the process of moving to free America and at some point would like to take a little off the end of my Saiga.. I have converted a bunch of the rifles and am very familiar with them.. now I know it varies from shotgun to shotgun.. and people have all kinds of different experiences... gun as it sits today is factory... that is changing shortly and I am trying to develop a game plan.. gun cycles heavy ammo fine.. has some issues ejecting super light ammo.. I mostly just shoot heavy ammo anyway.. but may look into things like low brass reliability kit once I am SURE the gun is FULLY broken in and if the inability to shoot light ammo gets to be annoying.. gas ports are present and clear (3 ports).... generally speaking.. and I know there is no general.. but how much can i likely take off the barrel without loosing functionality and without greatly altering the gas system..

I understand the legal aspect of this and would jump through those hoops..

My SBS was cut down to 12.5" without shortening the gas system. The only gas work involved was adding 1 additional port and opening the 3 factory ports. Cycles everything. I have also reprofiled and polished the bolt, carrier and hammer to reduce friction.

My SBS was cut down to 12.5" without shortening the gas system. The only gas work involved was adding 1 additional port and opening the 3 factory ports. Cycles everything. I have also reprofiled and polished the bolt, carrier and hammer to reduce friction.

great.. I reallly just want a little off the front.. 14-15 in would probably do it for me.. just want it a LITTLE smaller..

sounds great.. does a brake or other muzzle attachment (besides a choke) cause any change in ability to cycle?

Someday, I plan to do a 11.5" and use a Polychoke on it. It think that a choke is the only thinhg that will "simulate" additional bore.

• Like 1

sounds great.. does a brake or other muzzle attachment (besides a choke) cause any change in ability to cycle?

Someday, I plan to do a 11.5" and use a Polychoke on it. It think that a choke is the only thinhg that will "simulate" additional bore.

ok then we are on the same page.. something like a flash hider or brake since it is open.. is likely going to do nothing to add functional length to the barrel..

an 12in with a choke MIGHT cycle like a 14in barrel..

a 12in with a brake is going to cycle like a bare 12in barrel..

That'd be a sick little gun. 027.gif And you're right, chokes help a S-12 cycle light loads.

All NFA rules apply. I cut down my Saiga 12 barrel from 19" to 15". No gas port changes. Now has a 4 position gas regulator and the changable pucks; low, medium and high. The shotgun works 100% with WW 2.75" 2.5 drams equ. and .875 oz. #8 birdshot light loads all the way up to the warpdrive 15 OO buckshot 3" mag. Cool. HB of CJ (old coot...with a tax stamp)