Bullet Guide broke on my Saiga!

Hey everyone,

I went to the range to pop my 7.62x39 Saiga's cherry the other day, (love it by the way). I got home to break it down and noticed the bullet guide went MIA between the range and my place. I checked the rifle bag it was in, and nothing there, so it must've squirted out on the range somewhere... I bought it from Atlantic already converted (no it isn't the Red Jacket one). When I first got it, I inspected the rifle and it all looked well done, until I looked at the bullet guide. It seemed to me that it was just some clear epoxy squirted into the hole in the guide. Maybe it was the light or something, but that is what it looked like to me. No screw holding her in place or anything like that. But I figured that these guys do the conversions all the time, they must know what they are doing... The pic attached is what I was left with after it broke off.

The rifle comes with a 1-year warranty, but needless to say I am very hesitant to send it back (especially after I further modified the rifle, pics once the BG is replaced). I figure if they mess it up the first time by taking shortcuts and half-assing it, I don't want to send it back to them. So I purchased the round BG kit from CSS and will be doing it myself this coming week when I have time between work and school. Has this happened to anyone else? I figured I would put a heads up out there in case folks are looking at this rifle, knowledge is power.

TG

post-21056-0-96202000-1319290611_thumb.jpg

DIY is the best course of action in my opinion, I too wouldn't trust'em to fix it right.

Key points on doing the BG are, indexed to the left of the chamber face step, use lots of lube on the tap and taking your time tapping (do not flex the tap, 1/4 turn in, back it out, repeat).

Edited by ChileRelleno

I got the BG kit already on the way from CSS. I will definitely make it a DIY. Slow and steady with y'alls advice and the video from CSS on how to do it should make it simple enough. Once I saw the trunnion after the weld broke, I figured it was a crappy weld job. I have to dremel the rough stuff outta there to smooth it out before I drill and tap. Thanks for the tip ChileRelleno.

TG

Indeed just a bad weld from the looks of it. Must have been Friday at quitting time. I DIY job will indeed probably be your easiest fix. But mind you, if you fubar it i doubt they will fix it as they would right now.

Anyhow, its easy, shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

So, apparently the weld penetrated the trunnion a tad because I couldn't get the drill to well, drill. So I emailed Atlantic and they gave my information to the conversion company who called me the next day. Turns out their welder had some temperature issues, which accounts for the crappy weld, and a few rifles squeaked out before they caught the issue. Long story short, FedEx will come and pick it up, Atlantic will pay for the shipping and I should have my rifle back next week at no cost to me.

TG

• Like 1

sounds like I have the exact same problem...

IMG_20111028_221113.jpg

Just got mine recently and I dis-assembled, inspected, and flipped the gun over in my hands... the BG fell out on the floor.

um...

hasnt seen one round

I got mine from Alantic as well.

what the heck, over.

Loosey

**EDITED to state that got in touch with someone from Atlantic and they will replace it and handle shipping.

I could just get the darn kit but I fear I might end up the same as the OP with a weld spot that I cant tap or something... anyhow I have a friend whos a really good welder I wonder if he could assist?

Edited by Looseyfur
  • Like 1