Saiga 12 not cycling MD arms V-plug, drum, and new twister puc

I modified my Saiga 12 to cycle any ammo or what I was trying to accomplish. I bought MD Arms V-plug and am using a new after market twister puc. I took it to the field and it does not cycle. It is not the drum because the mags will not cycle either. I played iwth the gas adjustment a little but figured i would ask before I jacked up my Saiga. Thanks for any help.

J

Some other info you might want to include--is it a converted Saiga or factory? What kind of ammo would it cycle previously? What were you using when it didn't cycle? When it did? Number of gas ports? Obstructed or not? Did you try replacing one item at a time or both the plug and puc at the same time?

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! beer.gif

If your Saiga cycled before you added the parts, switch each part back to factory one at a time and shoot it. If it didn't cycle reliably before, check your gas ports for obstruction and number. There should be 3 or 4, depending on when it was made. I agree with tritium that a bit more info would help.

• Like 1

I actually just fired it that weekend for the first time and it is a factory saiga out of the box. So I actually added the twister puc and the V-plug which has five ports from MD arms before I fired it with factory parts. I read a little about the weapon not cycling as stock so I bought these items and installed so I would not have this problem, but did. I was using winchester 00 buck at the time. I am just going to change it back to stock and work form there on whtat works and what doesnt the next time I go to the range. Maybe I can find the problem then.

If it's 5 ports it's not factory new.

That's an importer trying to avoid warranty work.

Who's the importer?

5 ports is a hell of a lot of gas there, even id they're .078... Utilize that V-plug to choke it down if the importer didn't enlarge the hole in the gas block in the wrong direction to fit the 2 extra ports in which would render your gas plug noneffective...

But first, try it with the factory puc would be my advice as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pauly,

The five ports are offered by MD arms Called the V-plug. It offeres 5 ports instead of two to be able to shoot high and low brass with the so called "twister puck" supposidely. But I am just having issues with it cycleing as of right now. Shooting it this week to see the outcome. Starting from scratch and see what works. Will post outcome just incase anyone may have this issue in future.

SFHunter,

Pauly thinks you have 5 ports in the barrel. The "V" plug has notches that you are calling "ports".

If you remove the plug, look down into the gas block at the barrel, you will see holes drilled into the barrel.

There are 2, 3 or 4 ports. Mine has 3, I dont know what size, I use the factory plug, and it took 70 plus rounds to get Her to shoot well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

mine is doing this too. fires one round and no ejection? has v-plug and drum and has 2 rounds through it. basically brand new. and it has three ports one looks like the gas tube is turned a little and is not as out in the open as the other two ports. and has the factory plug. is there a break in period where it doesn't funtion well? the first two rounds didn't eject.

Edited by Obamasucks

Thanks red. hey do you know how far do yo back out the v plug when adjusting it from dead flush? do you just go on or two notches or a couple turns to the correct notch or how do you do this? do i want the big notch over the port or the small one to run low brass, or should i like in a earlier post just run high brass until she gets used to spitting out casings?

I dont use the "V" plug, but The larger grove will let more gas by.

Use wally world bulk 20 to 22 dollars a 100.

Shoot the HELL out of it till it start to work.

But first, what do you gas ports look like?

Some say hand cycle till your arms fall off.

Then check the wear spots and put on some lube, gun oil of some type.

Edited by RED333

thanks red your a big help, thank you so much!

I dont use the "V" plug, but The larger grove will let more gas by.

Use wally world bulk 20 to 22 dollars a 100.

Shoot the HELL out of it till it start to work.

But first, what do you gas ports look like?

Some say hand cycle till your arms fall off.

Then check the wear spots and put on some lube, gun oil of some type.

theres three, gas ports two in the open and one close to the edge but open.

I recently purchased my saiga-12. i installed a v-plug and basic conversion kit (trigger group, stock, pistol grip.) I brought it out for the first time and it wouldn't cycle the cheap rounds on any setting. In fact it would only cycle the high brass expensive stuff on setting 5 ( according to MD Arms setting 5 is for bulk cheap low brass ammo and setting 1 should be for the good stuff). Please help