mag release modifications?

I do not love the factory mag release on my saiga. tried to search the topic with no luck. does anybody have any ideas? The factory one is not very ergo and I just want to tweek on my gun, so this is #1 on my list. I want to modify it in lew of ordering another new part. money is scarce these days

+1 also on the RAM. To be honest though the design is a little poor and needs to be modified slightly to make up for the fact that there is nothing keeping the thing from bending too far forward and possibly snapping off at some point...JB weld? Silver solder? Tack weld? Something....I can bend mine quite easily...and if that bad boy snaps off downrange you are in some deep shit.

I've seen folks cut a cross bar for the existing mag release and rivet it on... or weld it on... or screw it on.... almost universally looks like hammered ass... if I was going to fiddle with the mag release

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-600/RAMS-SAIGA-AK47-TACTICAL/Detail

GREAT kit... I have one on all 7 of my AKs, its one of my standard mods, along with a Krebs safty and a Tromix chargeing handle. Note however, the install can be tricky unless you have 3 hands.

and Foxtail, I have one of those EMA ones... they are plastic, torque when you try and use em, and IMHO not worth the cost of the packageing they came in... if you want one PM me bro, i'll send ya this one and save ya the headache of figureing out how bad it is on your own dime. They actually require 2 fingers, one on each mag tab side to release the mag makeing mag changes harder and slower rather than quicker and easier... utter junk with a masters in fail.

Edited by datrowl
  • Like 1

I am thinking of putting the dang mag lock on there as well(unless I am ok putting some type of paddle on the dragunov stock) will these work with the mag lock?

I've seen folks cut a cross bar for the existing mag release and rivet it on... or weld it on... or screw it on.... almost universally looks like hammered ass... if I was going to fiddle with the mag release

http://store.carolin...TACTICAL/Detail

GREAT kit... I have one on all 7 of my AKs, its one of my standard mods, along with a Krebs safty and a Tromix chargeing handle. Note however, the install can be tricky unless you have 3 hands.

and Foxtail, I have one of those EMA ones... they are plastic, torque when you try and use em, and IMHO not worth the cost of the packageing they came in... if you want one PM me bro, i'll send ya this one and save ya the headache of figureing out how bad it is on your own dime. They actually require 2 fingers, one on each mag tab side to release the mag makeing mag changes harder and slower rather than quicker and easier... utter junk with a masters in fail.

thanks for the offer but I will take your word sir.

http://store.carolin...TACTICAL/Detail

Glad to hear about your experience. I guess I'll try something else, thanks datrowl