you guys are gonna be mad at me

Holy crap man! :eek: You gonna kill my old mag too?! Damn and I packaged it so carefully like it was a little china doll and assured it that it would be loved and given a swell new home! :cryss: Did you hear the sound of a thousand screams as you fed into the bandsaw? :lolol:

Dude, At first I figured that your efforts were ging to end up going nowwhere like all the others who talked about making saiga mags. Now I see that your serious that or seriously demented. Wait when talking about Saigas I guess the two are the same :super: . Good luck with your project.

Rip .... and ROLL!

FYI, the finish gunsmith mentioned he planned to get superb reliability by developing a follower that utilized a ball bearing. Just a thought, but I'm hoping that reliability will NOT kill this project!

BTW, Thanks a lot for the pics, interesting to see the metal reinforcement placement ...

Just curious about mag springs.

The 5 rd mag spring is very long and strong.

1)Has anyone put a 5 rd spring next to a 8 rd spring?

2)What is the difference in length?

3)Has anyone put a 5 rd spring in an 8 rd mag and tried their weapon with it?

4)What were the results? Reliable or Not?

With this in mind could a 8 rd spring possibly work in a 10rd mag?

Just for testing and development purposes at this time.

With 10 rds the spring actually never has to advance the 10th rd up but only has to hold the 10th rd snug up against the top rim retainer. Once the 10th rd is stripped the remaing issue is if the spring can push up the 9th,8th,7th,etc..

Too much spring pressure and resistance will cause a stripping problem.

I have noticed that the shotgun shell rim is pushed tightly against the sharp edge of the rim retainer. Maybe a slightly different rim retainer could help.Different radius on the contacting edge,etc

All members Brainstorming surely can make a difference.

All these things plus much much more are being taken into account aleady. This isn't my first Prom.

I'm looking at all the reworks and hand finishing that goes into these 8rnd mags. I'd have to say the Russians built these things with a lot of trial and error and not much engineering. Not that anything is wrong with that, in the end all that really matters is if it works 100%. But being able to take what they have 'figured out' works and starting from that point to make one homogeneous assembly, gives me such a huge advantage.

We all know the AK platform is designed to be built easily with crude tooling, and is reliable by design not dependant on precision made parts. I think that simply is the Kalashnikov greatness. He made them idiot proof to be built by unskilled labor. Compare that to an AR15 receiver. Every dimension on an AR has to be perfectly machined by a highly skilled machinist, with multiple difficult operations. That is kind of 'the American way' of building things. Now combine the skill and ability of those US manufacturers and give them an idiot proof job to do like build a Saiga-12 mag. That's why I am fully confident that my mags will be as good if not better than factory.

Kevin

Just in case anyone else is wondering about comparison, here are some pics I have posted before showing the differences between the two and their components. Notice the difference in the followers and the curve of the follower groove in the body. These are key to sucessful feeding of that many shells stacked up. Kevin I know you are already aware of this.

post-1293-1124286555.jpg

post-1293-1124286576.jpg

post-1293-1124287006.jpg

Just in case anyone else is wondering about comparison, here are some pics I have posted before showing the differences between the two and their components. Notice the difference in the followers and the curve of the follower groove in the body. These are key to sucessful feeding of that many shells stacked up. Kevin I know you are already aware of this.

Pedal,

The reason the Russkies use 8 rounds is that most if not all CQB trained operators in Russia train with 4 sets of double taps for room clearing, HRT, etc.. the Makarov, Tokarev, and other pistols use 8 rounds, and when the Izmash people went to the Defense Ministry, they basically said, 8 is enough..the laring exception to this is of course the AK, but they only use the AK for SERIOUS work when they know the shit will hit the fan (Chechin terrorists, etc).

I heard this from a buddy of mine who was from russia, prior service (army) before he came to America and joined up w/ the US Army.

Thanks, a lot of good info on this board. :super:

Z1500 - you came to the right place. Hope it helps get those mags produced. :smoke:

Here's a spring idea: What about a spring that is wound so that every other wind has a smaller diameter so that when it is completely compressed, half of it will "nest" within the rest of it to reduce the height?