Choke Options

Okay, here's my dilemma:

I want to chop 4 inches off of my barrel to make it 18", but I really like the pattern the fixed full choke shoots. Is it impossible (Moneywise) to chop it and get it threaded for external choke tubes? If so what does it cost to get the tubes? Is there some sort of non-saiga solution to this problem? I just want to be able to hunt with this bad boy, and still shoot slugs as well.

Okay, here's my dilemma:

I want to chop 4 inches off of my barrel to make it 18", but I really like the pattern the fixed full choke shoots.  Is it impossible (Moneywise) to chop it and get it threaded for external choke tubes?  If so what does it cost to get the tubes?  Is there some sort of non-saiga solution to this problem?  I just want to be able to hunt with this bad boy, and still shoot slugs as well.

You can chop it off and have it threaded for rem chokes and or a threaded poly choke, or you can have a poly choke permanently installed.

I've been holding off on the choke issue also, but the more I think about it the external thread might be the way to go. This is my first shotgun so it's kind of a learning project. Can someone comment on-can you get a true cylinder bore and still use internal threads? The only real point is that some specialty rounds will only work in cylinder bore configuration. At first I couldn't understand why the SWAT version didn't have a choke, but as I've been looking at different 12ga

ammo I think I'm starting to see why as it's kind of the right tool for the right job kind of weapon. With the screw on flash hider, you have the option to take it off and install an external choke. The only draw back is that the standard metric threads might be hard to find a local smith to cut and I don't know about the availability of external chokes in SAE/Machine threads. If I'm not mistaken you can get a flash hider, several different chokes, and a paradox choke for the factory external Saiga 12 threads that makes it a very attractive thing if you can get someone that can cut the threads properly.

I've been holding off on the choke issue also, but the more I think about it the external thread might be the way to go. This is my first shotgun so it's kind of a learning project. Can someone comment on-can you get a true cylinder bore and still use internal threads? The only real point is that some specialty rounds will only work in cylinder bore configuration. At first I couldn't understand why the SWAT version didn't have a choke, but as I've been looking at different 12ga

ammo I think I'm starting to see why as it's kind of the right tool for the right job kind of weapon. With the screw on flash hider, you have the option to take it off and install an external choke. The only draw back is that the standard metric threads might be hard to find a local smith to cut and I don't know about the availability of external chokes in SAE/Machine threads. If I'm not mistaken you can get a flash hider, several different chokes, and a paradox choke for the factory external Saiga 12 threads that makes it a very attractive thing if you can get someone that can cut the threads properly.

The SOLUTION to your DILEMMA is SIMPLE... (although it WILL add length to your barrel...)

CUTTS COMPENSATOR

Look it up... do the research... external... mounted to the barrel...acts as a vented compensator...interchangeable choke tubes, from spreader ( more open than cylinder bore), to XX full and all in between, as well as rifled too, I believe...

This guys got the BEST prices and the best "in stock" listing... give him a call...

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/cuttschokes.htm

I got mine from him, Very fast shipping...

:smoke:

I know I sound like I work for Poly choke but I plan on getting one when I get the cash. According to their webpage it will go from X-full(closed) to 2 settings past cylinder bore. I just think these give the most versatility of any chokes. Here check out their page:

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

As faras shanes question about who to have open up the gas ports I am unsure. You could do it yourself or find a gunsmith to do it. I dont think there are many AK friendly Gunsmiths out there but I could be wrong.

Hey Indy, that's $40 for the body, is that installed, or did you buy and take it to a local gunsmith?

Can I see a pic?

Hey stockstad, no, there aren't any AK friendly gunsmiths, especially here in Central Texas! I just giggle at them and thier muskets! (Mossy's)

Edited by shaneman153a

Another solution is to get the barrel threaded for win-chokes and get the Gunner's Choice extended tubes from Brownell's. They are internal tubes extended with an external thread for a screw-on compensator. With this system you can use any comercial screw choke like one for steel shot, or a 'paradox' extended tube or use the Gunner's choice tubes and compensator. Not cheep, but best of all worlds and no compromises!

G O B

I need to thread my barrel the only question is should I cut it down or leave the same 22 inches?

I like the punch it has with the 22 inch full choke for most of the shooting I do it's the greatest.

I just hate to cut it because I have seen the trouble other people have with them being able to nail targets with light loads.

Hey Indy, that's $40 for the body, is that installed, or did you buy and take it to a local gunsmith?

Yes, correct... it has to go to a gunsmith and be silver soldered on the end of the barrel...

I will try to find a pic for you... they are hard to find though, as they arent that common...

You can ALSO check EBAY... do a SEARCH FOR CUTTS then hit the results... thats where I got this listing... the MIDDLE BARREL has the compensator... mind you this one looks pretty beat... new they are a nice dark blued color... the one shown also has the adjustable choke end, not a specific choke tube...

http://cgi.ebay.com/REMINGTON-MODEL-11-BAR...1QQcmdZViewItem

hope that helps...

:smoke:

Thanks Indy, actually, I just wanted to see your avatar again! tehe.

Topmaul, I'm trying to make that very same descision. I love the way it shoots now, but I just don't think it will look right converted with that big ass barrel! Do you really lose that much punch with a shorter barrel? I keep thinking, "you don't have to cut off 4 inches, just go 2"

Edited by shaneman153a

Shaneman, check out Technical Information to answer the questions about cutting the barrel, CGuns did an AWESOME write up.

Next question, what's your main purpose for the gun? If it's tactical matches or home defense, you'd be fine at 18.5" barrel, and once you start adding compensators/tubes/etc. it will easily add 1-3" to overall length. So if you start at 22, and add some goodies, you're up to 25" which is a long F-in' barrel, so I would DEFINATELY consider cutting it by at least 2", if not 3.5" so it's not as unwieldy.

However, that said, for trap or hunting I'd really suggest keeping the longer barrel, especially if you can do the AK front site post. The longer barrel will make it more accurate and the front site post will give you a greater distance between sites improving aim. Also, the longer barrel means you don't have to worry about fooling with the gas ports, though that's not a big issue if you choose to chop it. If you chose a happy medium at 20", you'd have to see how it cycles with the gas ports as is, you may still have to go in there and open them a little.

Any of the chokes are good, I think it's mostly your personal preference. Poly-choke is very versatile and one model is vented. In the tactical matches here on the east coast, we have close clays (10-20ft) and skeet (30-50ft) in the same segment, so it'd be nice to switch from open bore to modified in the middle of a segment which would be impossible with screw-ins. However, I'm not sure that the poly-choke can handle steel shot which you may want for hunting, if someone knows for sure please educate me. Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the poly-choke. Super-hardcore sporting competitors think you sacrifice something with them, and they go with uber-expensive brownells tubes, however, they also have Kreygovs or Franchis so they may be overly snobbish. For a Saiga, I think the Polychoke would be fine.

You can shoot open bore with any kind of choke, you just have to get that restriction size. The diffusers could also be useful for home defense, but little else, so I don't think I'd spend my money for one of them. Tom Cole threaded my barrel for me for internal chokes (remchoke, but he can also do winchoke). I found most of the choke threading facilities wanted you to just send in your barrel and they'd thread it with a guide, but saiga barrels don't exactly come off the gun, so all of these companies weren't too helpful for my needs. Do a search for Cole's Gun Works, and you'll find the info you need, but I don't know if you need to worry about tougher laws regarding interstate firearms shipping...I'm in state, so shipping wasn't an issue for me.

Anyway, goodluck!

Damn aegis,

Thanks for the great info, I now feel like a choke subject matter expert. You've convinced me to keep the 22". I think the answer is to buy another S-12 to make into a shory. I think that will have to wait for after my upcoming 12-month-vacation-to-the-not-so-friendly-desert!