Tromix stock mounting holes offset

Hi Guys,

just about to start on my first conversion of a Saiga-308-1. I bought the internal block and the Tromix skeleton stock from CSS, and besides the stock being freakishly short (or me being freakishly tall), I was very surprised by the poor fit of the stock to the block.

I did not plan to use a folding hinge, but to bolt it directly to the internal block.

The mounting holes are centered on the main line of the stock, but offset from the perspective of the mounting surface, if that makes any sense:

offset3.jpg

On the left side, the stock hangs over by about 5 mm :

offset1.jpg

On the right side, the block sticks out by a couple:

offset2.jpg

Is it supposed to be like that ? That looks like total crap.

I assume I would have the same problem with the Universal (no-cut) block ?

I guess I'm picky also. I have the same issue. Just posted this issue last night. Here is a pic. I didn't want a folder but I feel like I need one now to justify the look of my stock. I'm disappointed that I can't run this without a folder and have something that doesn't look cock-eyed.

DSC00938.jpg

Edited by Javagator

I understand your point, hopefully you can understand mine.

We designed the stock for our builds; we never intended to sell it as an accessory item. 98% or our builds have the Ace hinge.

You can see that the mounting holes are on the centerline of the stock:

1d81270e.jpg

And how the flange makes the hinge look better...I don't have a pic with the symmetrical flange, but trust me it didn't look as good.

edd1e958.jpg

70096886.jpg

If you really don't like it you can always hit it on a disk or belt sander, but in any case that's the reason for the design.

Either way, the centerline of the stock should be on the centerline of the gun; it's just that the left side flange is slightly longer to clean up the aesthetics of the hinge. That area is solid resin and can be machined and sanded.

Javagator, I don't know if its just the pic angle or what but it almost looks like its off center.

From the center line of the dust cover to the centerline of the stock, it looks like about 1/4" of offset to the left. WTF????

I ended up taking the stock off and considering my options here. Its not centered and its not straight. The shotgun is square when the stock was removed and it was sitting on the internal receiver block, even checked it with a level. With the stock attached you can easily tell with the naked eye its not straight inline with the gun.

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

You can see in this pic how the stock angles to the right as you look at the pic

DSC00942.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

Edited by Javagator

I understand your point, hopefully you can understand mine.

We designed the stock for our builds; we never intended to sell it as an accessory item. 98% or our builds have the Ace hinge.

This one is directly from the Tromix website without a folder. Does your builld look like mine? If not, is it a different designed stock? I need to make sure I don't have a factory defect or something. If I sand this thing down to straighten it out I'm concerned that the texture of the stock will look different where I sanded it.

S-19-Basic-lrg.jpg

Edited by Javagator

The face you need to sand or file will be flush with the mounting plate. as for the left side, you might be able to replicate the texture with a flap wheel and a bit of oil. Or set it on some 50 grit sand paper and smack it with a rubber mallet to pebble it., then go over it with a buffer wheel lightly to re-sheen.