Barrel removal

I started out removing the gas block to do the Dinzag Arms gas tube mod....

Then I decided to go ahead and remove the barrel while I was in the DIY mood...I had already cut it anyway, and this would allow me to utilize a lathe to thread the end instead of doing that by hand. I was going to press it at first, but just out of curiousity I clamped the barrel/receiver assembly in the vise, using brass jaw covers to keep from marring the barrel...plus you'd be surprised as to how much gripping strength the brass covers provide:

DSCN0340.jpg

Surprisingly the receiver broke loose after only a few taps, using brass square stock and a home made brass hammer:

DSCN0343.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

I cycled a mag by hand when I first got it, and this is what happened a few times...

DSCN0314.jpg

After removing the barrel, I can now see why this is happening:

DSCN0348.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

The extractor slot looks like shit. It is rough and has a sharp edge that digs into the shell upon chambering. This area will definitely be addressed with a Dremel and smoothed out and polished.

Actually you're right...I wanted to inspect my gas ports though, hence the gas block removal. I found that a solid surface to lay the weapon on was essential to the initial loosening of the pins. I used the concrete floor in my garage, and supported the gun and the gas block with brass stock:

DSCN0322.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

The smaller pin was the hardest. I should've used the taper punch to start with. The straight punch did break the pin loose, but the next strike bent it as shown. I then switched to the taper punch to drive it further down as far as I could go, then switched back to a second straight punch to finish knocking it out.

The larger pin came out a lot easier.

• 1 year later...

You just saved me tons of time and headache. I was so worried about removing the barrel so that I can have the local barrel shop chop muzzle and pin my barrel.

I did this in a smaller vise with rubber jaws so it took more than a couple taps but it did come out pretty easily.

I'm assuming you didn't use a press.. just curious how hard it was to get your barrel in and what method you used?

Pressing it back in should be Just as easy. Support the front trunion with some square stock inserted through the receiver and out the magazine well. Install using a press with the muzzle protected. Or you could use the all-thread rod method.

Be sure to use anti seize.

10-4. I don't have a press at home yet but this sounds like a good excuse to get one smile.png The barrel will have a Tromix Mini-monster "permanently" attached... would that prevent me from doing the all-thread rod method if I would go that route? I'm not familiar with it involves but I can search around.

Bigchris: Anything specific you're wanting to see?

I will have the barrel cut and muzzle attached late next week or early the following week. In the meantime I can pick up a press and some square stock and whatever tools I'll need.... but it's going to be probably 2 weeks maybe slightly more before it's a completed job.

I love it, but this method takes all of the fun out of it. When using a press, the sound of that surprise POP when the barrel breaks loose speaks to my soul. I know it is about to get fun when I hear that sound ;)

Bigchris: I'm not going to chop the barrel or anything... I have a great local shop that makes barrels so they will be doing that for me.

sapper: They are going to thread it just like it was... but they will also weld the brake on so I won't have access to the threads. I'm trying to keep this as legal as possible just in case. I still need to look up that method to see what exactly it is.

I was just kind of hoping i could put a piece of nylon or soft metal on the end of the muzzle and tap it back into place lol. If they are willing to do it for me I'll probably just do that.

Would using a larger dia. allthread than the 1/4" be a better idea since we have a larger dia.barrel than the AK? Put a piece of plastic tubing over it if you can't find brass.

Edited by Bizarro

Well I just heard from the barrel shop. The guy is saying he can't duplicate the thread pitch that's on the barrel or doesn't think he can. I kind of have any understanding of what that means but don't understand why it would be a problem. I just assumed with the correct die it makes the correct threads?

I already have the thread alignment tool so I'll just buy the threading die and do it myself. I'm just going to ask if he will cut and crown the barrel to my designed length.

I found this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75992-chop-crown-and-rethread-a-saiga-12-barrel-with-no-lathe/
and it really doesn't seem that that bad. I don't have any type of saw to get a nice clean cut on the barrel or I would have just done it myself and had it done by now lol

I found this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75992-chop-crown-and-rethread-a-saiga-12-barrel-with-no-lathe/

and it really doesn't seem that that bad. I don't have any type of saw to get a nice clean cut on the barrel or I would have just done it myself and had it done by now lol

Even if you have a crap cutting method (hacksaw... steak knife?), you can file your way to victory if you leave yourself enough meat and are willing to put the work into it.

This is the standard time vs. money debate that often haunts us all! In my current tool collection, if I wanted to hack a barrel down I would snag my 4.5" angle grinder w/cutoff wheel, square up my eyecometer, and be prepared to file until my square said I was golden. Maybe not the best method, but about $100 worth of tools.

Even if you have a crap cutting method (hacksaw... steak knife?), you can file your way to victory if you leave yourself enough meat and are willing to put the work into it.

This is the standard time vs. money debate that often haunts us all! In my current tool collection, if I wanted to hack a barrel down I would snag my 4.5" angle grinder w/cutoff wheel, square up my eyecometer, and be prepared to file until my square said I was golden. Maybe not the best method, but about $100 worth of tools.

I love having excuses for new tools :D My wallet doesn't always agree though :( lol

I put the barrel back in the receiver today and pieced together the gun. I'm going to do the barrel cut myself as soon as the threading dies are in stock at CSS. I have a miter saw and some metal cutting blades for it... I've only cut copper pipe on it but it might be the cleanest cut I can get. I have many files, dremels, grinders etc... I used to make rings out of US silver coins so I'm really handy with a file lol

I put the barrel in the freezer for 10 minutes and warm the trunnion with a heat gun... barrel slips in by hand.

It's funny you said that.... I have no intentions of freezing my barrel but I left it in my car overnight (well below freezing). I had already planned on heating up the receiver with some clean burning propane. With the Tromix "Mini Monster" brake being used to protect the barrel I gave it 4-5 pretty firm taps with a hardwood hammer and the barrel went right in. I was shocked to say the least.
I spent more time trying to be as close to perfect in lining up the barrel pin than putting the barrel on. I pressed the pin in as close to half way as I could get then punched it the rest of the way.
Very interesting....can't wait to see how it progresses.

I will have this gun completely apart at least 2 more times. I'm going to duracoat it once I have it how I want and it has a few hundred shells through it. Hopefully I can get the gf to document some of the work... Maybe it will be useful to someone else in the future.

Right now I haven't really accomplished anything with the barrel other than adding a couple inches with the brake making it even longer sad.png

I did change to a Houge grip (awesome), switched from a sheperds crook to a retaining plate, installed a chaos quad rail w/hk sights. I also polished the bolt, rails, etc to a mirror finish. I

As soon as CSS gets the s12 threading dies in stock I will start the barrel chop project (again).

PS: Sorry for the thread hijack. I will start a new thread once new work begins :)

====== Please excuse any spelling / grammar in theses posts... I've been up all night working on guns biggrin.png ======

Edited by justchil