Which Gun Auction Site?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What gun auction sites have you used?

• Auction Arms
    • GunBroker
    • Guns America
    • Other (please post)

Question: I'm considering selling some of the other shotguns from my collection, and I have never used any of the gun auction sites before... Does anyone have experience with this? What are the best practices?

I am primarily concerned about properly/legally shipping the gun, and hoping to ensure a gun I sell goes to a legal buyer. Would it be a good idea for me to only ship to an FFL and have them handle the transfer?

Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated! I've bought and sold a couple things from Ebay before, but have not sold a gun online yet...

Post them on here. What do you got??? when you sell on one of the auction site you must ship to a FFL NEVER to a personal address. Make sure you state that their dealer must accept guns from a privite seller with a copy of you driver lic. or if you have to have your dealer ship it to their dealer it will cost extra. ALWAYS get a signed copy of the FFL lic. form the dealer you are shipping to and ONLY ship to the address on that lic. You can use the ATF EZcheck website to verify that the lic is current and not been tampered with. If anything seem shady do not ship the gun. Make sure all moneyorders or checks have cleared before shipping don't let them try to get you to ship it at the same time saying " I got a hunting trip this weekend" there are alot of shady people that like praying on a new seller this is the best advice I can offer.

• Like 3

Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated! I've bought and sold a couple things from Ebay before, but have not sold a gun online yet...

Schultze has some good info.

I've sold one gun through Gunbroker and bought two. I've also sold a couple guns through this forum. Haven't had any problems so far, knock on wood.

As an individual seller, I would make sure of a few things:

1) take photos of your gun for the auction and for your records

2) make it clear in the auction that the gun is sold as-is and once it transfers, it's non-returnable, non-refundable

3) get complete payment in a non-disputable form (read: deposit it in your bank account and don't do discreet Paypal with strangers) before you ship anything.

4) be as prompt and thorough with everything -- communication, payment, shipping -- as you possibly can. Basically, Golden Rule.

As an individual buyer, I would take a hard look at feedback and purchase through credit card. I seem to recall Gunbroker offers $500 of purchase protection on every transaction. Don't take my word on that, though.

Edited by Koljec

Cleaned a couple of the shotguns and got pictures of them... Then it occurs to me that none of these have been fired for ... decades. Literally.

I'm going to take them out this weekend and run some rounds through them, so I can say for sure that they actually work! unsure.png

They are all in good condition, and well taken care of.

* What is a good way to set a decent price for a used shotgun? I've looked up similar ones on a couple of the auction sites, should that get me close on a starting price?

Edited by Ronin38

Remember that there are fees involved using the auction sites, so you can usually sell a little cheaper on a forum and still get the same amount of money, a win-win. Also, try and look at completed auctions to see what they actually sell for, sometimes people list way too high and you will see that listing for months, because nobody will pay that much or it.

^ Thanks! I can't always find completed auctions, but I do check for ongoing auctions that are still open and have several bids, so I can see what they are bidding for. ;)

No, I don't try to place a value on an auction with NO bids.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, one of the guns I posted here has sold! :)

FYI: I got a nasty-gram from Paypal concerning the payment, apparently they are anti-gun or something (or at least their lawyers are...)

Under the Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal at its discretion, may not be used to send or receive payments for (this list includes but isn’t limited to) ammunition, firearms, certain firearm parts or accessories, or certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law. For a more complete list, please see our Help Centre on firearms and weapons.

I will make sure in the future, if a buyer uses Paypal to NOT say anything about the payment being for something firearm-related! ;)

I will make sure in the future, if a buyer uses Paypal to NOT say anything about the payment being for something firearm-related! wink.png

Paypal is a great convenience when it works (arguably better for the buyer than the seller), but it claims its percentage, and there can still be grief. If you do Paypal, I would make sure it's with a party you trust because you won't be able to leave an enforceable paper-trail through Paypal. And in the email/receipt only put something like "per email dated...".

Edited by Koljec