Saiga 12 buttstock questions

Hi, I'm not very active on these forums but I read thru them from time to time and have answered many of my questions without even having to post. Unfortunately this isn't one of those times... So my question is this... I have a saiga 12 I converted my self. It currently has a tapco t6 stock on it with a limb saver recoil pad. I also have a pws mk114 AR with a magpul moe buttstock. What I want to do is remove the magpul stock from the AR, replace it with a slide fire stock, and put the old stock onto the saiga in place of the tapco. I also want to remove the recoil pad from the tapco and put it onto the magpul. Is any/all of this possible(mostly in reference to the saiga12), and what parts would I need.

Thanks, Jeff

Your check list is right. MAA and CSS price close to eachother ship immediately and both offer a 5% forum discount. MAA seems to support the small innovators very well, so they get my money.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the prompt answers. Typically all the questions I have can be answered with a bit of forum/google searching so I don't really post much on the forums. As far as answering other peoples questions, their always seems to be someone on here more insightful on the issue so I just let them handle it. lol Anyways, as far as pics, I sent out a lot of my internals to get them reworked so its a bit disassembled atm, but once I finish up doing everything I want to do to my saiga, including the new stock, I'll definantly post some pics. BTW, does anyone know if my limb saver recoil pad would fit on the magpul after I took off the stock spacer?

The first thing I was thinking when I read your post was 'why would you need all that hardware', but you've already found one of the answers. You would need most of that hardware if you were going to make a folder or use a different style stock, but just to add a tube to an AK you can do it with one piece.

Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.mississip...rber-p-580.html

I have one, works well, there are also non-shock absorbing polymer and aluminum versions available in case you are worried that the shock absorption will effect your cycling, and it can if your gun is borderline cycling with the shells you are using. I was actually going to get one of the non-shock absorbing versions from CSS, but they just happened to be out the day I was placing my order, and I ended up with the Mako as a last minute alternative.

The Mako tube is commercial spec, at least thats what they told me when I called and asked before I ordered. At one point I had a commercial spec Magpul stock on it and it fit perfectly. Currently running with a Mako GL shock stock.

hpim0169.jpg

Edited by fauxknight

Thank you. I like the MBUS sights, I tested them a bit on my 15-22, but I haven't had a chance to sight them in yet on the Saiga. They were bought specifically for the Saiga though since they cowitness with the Eotech. After finally getting my rail in and putting the sights on it I was having trouble getting them to cowitness with each other at home, I think the rail jigs a little to the left when locked down (it locks down tight, just a little off center...likely the gas block isn't on perfectly straight) and I might have to move the rear sight forward a bit to a place where it is more centered. Long story short, I need to pick up some slugs and hit the range to really know whats going on there. They are high, like any AR style sight, a little too high for the AK platform, hence me replacing the stock I was using with one with a riser. I did also replace the front post with a fiberoptic front post, which has worked out great so far. The only thing I don't really like on them is that the rear sight doesn't have an elevation adjustment, which means you have to do that at the front sight, but the front sight has an awkward little rod you have to use to lock it in place, which is a pain to remove/reinsert and I'd never want to do it at the range because I'd lose the rod for sure.

I will also note that while the Mako tube and GL Shock do absorb a lot of recoil, they also allow more movement of the gun, slowing down follow up shots a bit, even with lighter ammo. So they're a little counter productive with light loads bewteen the cycling reduction and the longer time to get back on target, but it does take a lot of bite out of slugs and other high brass loads.

Edited by fauxknight
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda raising this post from the dead, but i thought i would be another relevant question... So Im going to change the internal receiver in my saiga 12. I plan on ordering that, a pig nose adapter, and a new mil spec buffer tube for my mil spec moe stock. My new question, would a buffer tube lock ring castle nut be necessary. Why or why not, and if its not necessary what would the benefits be? Thanks

• 2 months later...

i have a question regarding the tapco t6 buttstock

i got that installed and bought a magpul ms3 gunsling at ebay

what i did not know was that the mountpoints on the tapco stock are way too bulky for the ms3 to get attached to.

what do i need to mount my sling to the buttstock as close as possible to the reciever ?

2nd question:

what cheekrests does the tapco T6 accept ?

would this one fit ?

http://www.caatactical.com/viewProduct.asp?ID=132&catID=11

kindest regards