Last night was one of the proudest moments i have had so far as a father. Along with a lot of guns i have a three year old girl. While we were watching some TV last night one of the characters, a woman, pointed a gun at another person on the show. Suddenly my little girl blurted out "she is not supposed to point a gun at people". That's right, at three she is already learning proper gun safety. There are a lot of guns in my house and before we had kids we discussed how we where going to keep the kids safe with them. Along with keeping them out of reach from the kids we decided we were going to take the mystery out of firearms. She has been around guns quiet often with me and i make it a point to include her and let her learn about them. well i think it has payed off so far. For a three year old to recognize one of the basic rules of gun safety at three i think i am doing a good job. i don't know if she will get in to guns and be a shooting buddy yet but she will know how to handle them safely.

• Like 12

thanks guys for the support. I am a firm believer in educating my children and not just telling them to leave them alone. its great to see others sharing the hobby with there kids as well, keep it up Chris. hopefully she listens this good when boys start showing up! eh, on second thought i think if they get a good look at the saiga 12 they will get her home safe. thank god that's a long ways off.

Last night was one of the proudest moments i have had so far as a father. Along with a lot of guns i have a three year old girl. While we were watching some TV last night one of the characters, a woman, pointed a gun at another person on the show. Suddenly my little girl blurted out "she is not supposed to point a gun at people". That's right, at three she is already learning proper gun safety.

Well done, sir!

The other day I walked into the dining room and found my son staring at my converted Saiga (that was laying on the table). When I gave him permission to handle it he said that he just wanted to be sure it wasn't loaded before he even touched it. I've got my first pistol when the kids were toddlers and we taught them at an early age how dangerous they can be. I remember telling them that, "if they even touched one, that they could be gone forever." How do you convey "death" to a child?

I grew up with an anti-gun mother and no father, but got into gun collecting in my 20s.

Good on ya for exposing your kids and taking the mystery out of the subject.

Edited by Sim_Player