Okay okay im cooling down(pics coming)

Even though I am in Miami, thousands of miles away, and have just gone through another hurricane, I am still very afraid of entering this assylum with no guards. :lolol:

Just in case anyone cares about attaching a PG properly: If you are using the SAW grip as many of us have, beware of the "length of pull," so to speak between the web of your hand and your index finger on the trigger. Standard AK PGs have a pre-determined distance in that regard that accommodates most guys. If you attach the SAW grip flush to the trigger guard, that critical distance will be very short. Measure the distance from the web to the trigger on another AK with a standard PG. Then attach the SAW grip with that same distance, or even more if your hand is big. I went standard length, which required my putting some epoxy putty in the "gap" between the rear of the trigger guard and the front of the PG. Without the putty, the bguard will cut your middle finger to shreds.

I used a 1/4" carriage bolt to hold on the PG. I bedded the bolt head with epoxy putty to lock in the position and address the angle of the bolt head, which is not flush with the receiver floor. I'll repost this pic to illustrate the proper distance back for the standard length of pull for your hand. Another upside of this process is that you don't need to cut a lug hole in the receiver floor. The square part of the carriage bolt head fits the factory slot perfectly.

28817selector_stop-med.JPG

Edited by inparidel
Even though I am in Miami, thousands of miles away, and have just gone through another hurricane, I am still very afraid of entering this assylum with no guards.  :lolol:

Just in case anyone cares about attaching a PG properly:  If you are using the SAW grip as many of us have, beware of the "length of pull," so to speak between the web of your hand and your index finger on the trigger.  Standard AK PGs have a pre-determined distance in that regard that accommodates most guys.  If you attach the SAW grip flush to the trigger guard, that critical distance will be very short.  Measure the distance from the web to the trigger on another AK with a standard PG.  Then attach the SAW grip with that same distance, or even more if your hand is big. I went standard length, which required my putting some epoxy putty in the "gap" between the rear of the trigger guard and the front of the PG. Without the putty, the bguard will cut your middle finger to shreds. 

I used a 1/4" carriage bolt to hold on the PG.  I bedded the bolt head with epoxy putty to lock in the position and address the angle of the bolt head, which is not flush with the receiver floor. I'll repost this pic to illustrate the proper distance back for the standard length of pull for your hand.  Another upside of this process is that you don't need to cut a lug hole in the receiver floor.  The square part of the carriage bolt head fits the factory slot perfectly.

28817selector_stop-med.JPG

Nice! What kind of paint do you use to fill the safe/fire letters?

I used acrylic artist's colors from tubes. Degrease. I used Mil Comm degreaser. Use a roller of sorts (I used the silicone grip of a pen) to roll on a film of release agent on the area of the receiver, but not in the recesses of the letters. I used Mil Comm gun grease (teflon based). Then apply the paint with a paper clip and squeegee on an angle with a car windshield squeegee. Then, after it sets, gently clean the area up with a damp nylon stocking.

Edited by inparidel