Safety lever wouldn't clear BHO after concersion

I was trying to finish my S-12 conversion and couldn't get the saftey lever back in. I used the dental floss method of putting my bho back in. I tried putting the safety lever back in and it hit my bho. I ended up having to put the safety lever in first before the trigger group. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought you were supposed to put the safety in after the trigger group. Am I missing something? Thanks,

Danny

Edited by im_n2_vws

I got stuck on that also... I was able to pull the pin that holds the front of the BHO out a little, then push forward on it so the safety would go in.

Very frustrating, but I had a hard time with both springs and the shepard's crook, too. Got it done, eventually! :)

(Some NSFW language was used in the process also.)

Did you modify the BHO or did your purchase a modified one? When I did my conversion I modified mine and when I first tried to put the saftey lever in I couldnt get it to go all the way. Then I realized that I hadnt removed enough material from the BHO.

That explains it. I really didn't realize that anything changed in the safety/ bho area. Is it necessary to modify the bho or since I got it together will it function properly? Thanks,

Danny

Edited by im_n2_vws

I took it back apart and put the safety in first then dropped the trigger back in. It wasn't modified at all.

I will probably end up modifying it, just curious if it needed to be modified to function properly? It seems to when cycling it by hand, and the safety works.

I didn't have to modify mine. But I have to follow a different procedure.

I install the hammer with the legs of the mainspring zip tied to it. Install the front axis pin with the front of the BHO lever in place.

From there, I have enough room to rotate the BHO lever up out of the receiver. It's a tight fit along side the rail, but it works for me.

Edit to add... It's not going to be rotated all the way up out of the receiver... just enough to give you clearance for the safety later.

I drop in my trigger, and start the rear axis pin.

Then I grab my BHO spring, grip the top of the loop with needle nose pliers, and push it down into place and finish inserting the rear axis pin.

From there I go ahead and drop in my FCG retainer plate (much quicker for me than the shepherds crook) and lock it down into place.

Then I insert my safety lever (while the BHO) is still rotated up out of the way and set it into place.

From there I drop the BHO down into place... grab a flathead screwdriver, and lift the BHO Spring up into place on my BHO lever.

Then I cut the zip tie and put the legs of my hammer spring into place.... good to go.

After typing that I realized that I have more room for play on my BHO lever because the tab that sticks it is actually ground down to the point that I have pretty minimal exposure, so it's out of the way of my trigger finger. Also cut a little notch on the tab for the spring so that it stays in place (not sure why I never modded for the safety lever looking back now). So this method may not work for those who haven't done that. But, if you're in the process of modding it, you might as well make it easy on yourself and mod it for safety lever clearance as well.

Edited by danklab

I didn't have to modify mine. But I have to follow a different procedure.

I install the hammer with the legs of the mainspring zip tied to it. Install the front axis pin with the front of the BHO lever in place.

From there, I have enough room to rotate the BHO lever up out of the receiver. It's a tight fit along side the rail, but it works for me.

Edit to add... It's not going to be rotated all the way up out of the receiver... just enough to give you clearance for the safety later.

I drop in my trigger, and start the rear axis pin.

Then I grab my BHO spring, grip the top of the loop with needle nose pliers, and push it down into place and finish inserting the rear axis pin.

From there I go ahead and drop in my FCG retainer plate (much quicker for me than the shepherds crook) and lock it down into place.

Then I insert my safety lever (while the BHO) is still rotated up out of the way and set it into place.

From there I drop the BHO down into place... grab a flathead screwdriver, and lift the BHO Spring up into place on my BHO lever.

Then I cut the zip tie and put the legs of my hammer spring into place.... good to go.

After typing that I realized that I have more room for play on my BHO lever because the tab that sticks it is actually ground down to the point that I have pretty minimal exposure, so it's out of the way of my trigger finger. Also cut a little notch on the tab for the spring so that it stays in place (not sure why I never modded for the safety lever looking back now). So this method may not work for those who haven't done that. But, if you're in the process of modding it, you might as well make it easy on yourself and mod it for safety lever clearance as well.

Your last sentence says it all. Just notch the lever, it's much simpler.

The dental floss method is not needed. First take your BHO lever and rotate it to a 90 degree angle so its facing up (no notch). Every time I've put the BHO in (which is numerous) I just push the spring down with my index finger until it lays flat, then I push the axis pin through. Matter of seconds. Once it is in there, pull your BHO lever down into its orginal location, and either with a pick, screwdriver, whatever, pick up the end of the BHO spring leg facing the rear of the reciever, and place it on the BHO notch. I don't notch a hole for the safety lever.