Shotgun Wax Slug Physics

A Lee Load-All II press in 12ga would allow you to reload shells and crimp them to the correct length WITH wax added (let cool before crimping).

That will fix your feeding problems and allow you to tailor your load to the job at hand.

For a really destructive wax slug, load an ounce of #12 shot poured into the wax, then let cool and crimp. It hits as a solid, then all 2,400 pellets break loose.

I have made a lot of wax slugs. they are my favorite. fun and cheap. also very distructive. I had a fiew where it the wax drained down into the powder and made a dud or very week shot. I think I had the wax too hot. How do you all think they would do out of a full choke gun. would they still be saif?

I'm not sure how to calculate the pressure for that one. I'd pass.

For a tighter pattern from a full choke gun you can go with unslit wads and a bit lighter load won't spread as much.

Also, a mylar wrap inside the shot cup tightens things up nicely. Precision Reloading has the wraps.

Make a mould to pour the wax/shot into BEFORE inserting into a powder loaded hull... ITs not about how much you can pack into a hull... but having the shot stay together until impact.

:smoke:

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy but this seems half-ass to me.

Given that:

A ) I live in the desert and wouldn't trust the wax not to melt....

B ) The times I would want to use a frangible slug I would need absolute reliability....

C ) Factory frangible slugs will NOT melt, WILL cycle, and are less than a dollar each...

It's not even a question. The factory load would be my choice.

Edited by XD45