After conversion bolt carrier seems sticky..

Ok, so I got my FCG installed, and went to install my bolt carrier back into the rifle...

I find that when the loading ramp first meets the top (face) of the hammer it nearly doesn't want to go, however I've successfully gotten it to go forward, and installed my recoil spring.

It's tight..kinda difficult to get the bolt all the way back, and upon release it sometimes hangs up on the hammer.

Is this something that a few magazines worth of 5.45 will smooth out?

Everything seems to be installed correctly, and the FCG and retaining plate came from Dinzag, so I know they're good to go.

Dry fire functions fine, but I'm at a loss.

If you can't tell, this is my first conversion. smile.png

Thanks again,

MGIB

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05

After installing the OE hammer, it functions as it's supposed to and dry fires fine.

So which part do I need to grind? Do I grind at the part that contacts the firing pin, or grind off the little nub that rides above the axis pin?

That's the biggest difference i notice between the two hammers, that nub, but I thought that the G2's that came from Dinzag were supposed to be drop-in?

The two hammers seem nearly identical except for the nub at the front that the Saiga trigger does not have.

Thanks,

MGIB

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05

I ran into this on a gun recently. It was tricky to figure out what was hanging up. I couldn't find anything rubbing in any of the places that it shouldn't.

I figured out that the screw for the new trigger guard was a couple millimeters too long and it would not allow the hammer to fall back far enough for the bolt to move forward or back smoothly. The screw should not make contact with the hammer. I removed the screw and shortened it bit.

Problem fixed.

• Like 2

I ran into this on a gun recently. It was tricky to figure out what was hanging up. I couldn't find anything rubbing in any of the places that it shouldn't.

I figured out that the screw for the new trigger guard was a couple millimeters too long and it would not allow the hammer to fall back far enough for the bolt to move forward or back smoothly. The screw should not make contact with the hammer. I removed the screw and shortened it bit.

Problem fixed.

*THIS* was the culprit. The trigger guard mounting screw had protruded too much inside to allow the new hammer to retract deep enough.

Sent the dremel in (since I used red loc-tite) to do the work, and had it resolved in a few minutes.

The gun will be shot tomorrow.

thanks!

My 308 does this. When I fire a round,it gets hung up all the way back after it ejects it. Then I have to smack the charge handle forward with the palm of my hand,and it then pulls and chambers the next round. I did grind down the TG screw,but maybe now a little needs to come off the back of the hammer. I really cant take the screw down anymore.

Problem fixed.

*THIS* was the culprit. The trigger guard mounting screw had protruded too much inside to allow the new hammer to retract deep enough.

Sent the dremel in (since I used red loc-tite) to do the work, and had it resolved in a few minutes.

The gun will be shot tomorrow.

thanks!

Glad the fix worked. Simple to fix, tough to diagnose.

My 308 does this. When I fire a round,it gets hung up all the way back after it ejects it. Then I have to smack the charge handle forward with the palm of my hand,and it then pulls and chambers the next round. I did grind down the TG screw,but maybe now a little needs to come off the back of the hammer. I really cant take the screw down anymore.

Have tried a thinner nut so you can take the crew down a bit more? I had to take the screw down to being flush with the top of the nut.

How many rounds have you sent through your 308? A friend of mine had this problem with his S308, and it broke in nicely after about 100 rounds.

I had the same exact problem. Was giving me fits until I read this about the trigger guard screw. Ground screw down with Dremel and problem solved. Thanks!

Glad to hear this fix worked for you as well. Now that we know for sure three people have had the same issue with the screw sticking up too high on the new trigger guard installation it makes me wonder how many guys have had the same problem. It would be a shame if they decided to live with it or grind the hammer.

• Like 1