New Saiga .223 owner questions

Hello Everybody:

This is my first posting here! I got a new Saiga .223 (16" barrel) last week and I have several questions. So please bear with me.

The box came with a small black "capsule" containing the tips you put on a cleaning rod. However, no cleaning rod was included. I am not an AK-47 expert, so I ask you guys where can I find a cleaning rod for my Saiga .223? Can one simply use a .22LR cleaning rod, an AR-15's rod, or should I get an AK-47 cleaning rod from somewhere? Are there Saiga or AK-47 cleaning kits anywhere? Just to be safe, is it ok to use Break Free, Hoppes, or RemOil for cleaning a Saiga? Is there anything I need to do before firing this gun for the first time?

I am used to buying and firing American hunting rifles like a good 'ole .30-06. So I am not familiar with the AK-47/Saiga market. I look forward to being educated by this forum site. I got a Saiga because I always admired the AK-47's toughness and reliability, but I like the .223 cartridge's better accuracy. However, I think AR-15s are overpriced. So ... the Saiga seemed to be a great solution and certainly doesn't cost as much. Besides, .223 ammo is less expensive than .30-06 ammo too.

Speaking of ammo, I want to also ask if certain brands of .223 ammo seem to work best in a Saiga. I've gone ahead and bought a lot of Remington UMC .223 55gr. FMJ ammo (in green boxes) and some American Eagle 55gr. FMJ ammo in black boxes. I am aware of several Russian brands like Tula and Bear. Are those any good? Would steel-cased ammo damage the chamber after a while?

I've heard about a 922r compliance issue. Am I correct in thinking that as long as I don't modify my Saiga, I don't have any legal issues to worry about? I am not going to change it to be more like an AK-47. It will remain as it is out of the box. I simply its factory configuration must be legal or it couldn't be shipped to the states.

Thanks guys! This Saiga .223 is a big investment for me and my modest budget, and I don't want to unintentionally damage it. I have two Surefire 30 rd. mags for it, and I have a tactical scope and a side mount ordered too. I can't wait to sight-in this gun, but I want to at least have a cleaning rod for it first.

It sounds like you got a normal AK cleaning kit, but no rod. The cleaning kit "capsule" is normally stored in the buttstock of a standard-style AK, but the Saiga sporter does not have this feature. You also can't insert a cleaning rod into the Saiga sporter stock for storage, so it doesn't make much sense to have it to begin with. Most people that want these parts want them for authenticity on a "classic" AK-47 carbine. Not much use for a Saiga

Also, the steel cleaning rod and tools are hard on the muzzle for repeated use. You're better off using brass/nylon cleaning rods/tools, boresnakes, etc. Anything for .22 should work fine.

Everybody has their cleaning/solvent preferences, but one thing to note is that ammonia-heavy solvents should be avoided. They can possibly cause the barrel's chrome lining to separate from the steel, and can also etch or corrode the chrome if left on for extended periods of time. I think it would take a lot of heavy use of solvent for this to happen, but best to just avoid it altogether.

My .223 so far has not been picky about ammo. I don't trust Tulammo at the moment though, as I recently had a seriously bad batch of 500. For cheap shooting, I've found that Wolf MC works best for me and is about the cheapest available. Silver Bear/Brown Bear .223 also get great reviews (also Russian). For a little bit more accurate plinking, I've had great luck with PMC Bronze, which I've been able to pick up very cheaply here and there.

922r won't be an issue for you if you leave the rifle as-is, without any major modifications. Adding an optic would be fine. However, I do believe that using that Surefire magazine will trigger 922r as it is considered a high-capacity magazine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here?

Congratulations, the Saiga .223 is a great rifle, 100% stock or not.

Also, the steel cleaning rod and tools are hard on the muzzle for repeated use. You're better off using brass/nylon cleaning rods/tools, boresnakes, etc.

+1

Another problem with the standard cleaning rod is that it is just barely long enough. It's better to have one that is too long, for convenience in handling. I picked up a multiple caliber long cleaning rod at Walmart that works well.

I've heard about a 922r compliance issue. Am I correct in thinking that as long as I don't modify my Saiga, I don't have any legal issues to worry about? I am not going to change it to be more like an AK-47. It will remain as it is out of the box. I simply its factory configuration must be legal or it couldn't be shipped to the states.

Thanks guys! This Saiga .223 is a big investment for me and my modest budget, and I don't want to unintentionally damage it. I have two Surefire 30 rd. mags for it, and I have a tactical scope and a side mount ordered too. I can't wait to sight-in this gun, but I want to at least have a cleaning rod for it first.

Somebody correct me if I'm worng and don't take this as legal advice, but I think you need to do some more 922r research before you go popping those 30 round magazines in that unconverted Saiga.

http://forum.saiga-1...uns-and-rifles/

922r won't be an issue for you if you leave the rifle as-is, without any major modifications. Adding an optic would be fine. However, I do believe that using that Surefire magazine will trigger 922r as it is considered a high-capacity magazine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here?

You have a Saiga-7.62x39 and want to use high capacity magazines. Since high capacity magazines are considered “unsporting”, and would be in violation of 922®. Your rifle with mag has 14 parts. Use U.S. made mags and one additional U.S. made part like a gas piston and you are good to go.

Edited by Son Of Jared

http://forum.saiga-1...uns-and-rifles/

You have a Saiga-7.62x39 and want to use high capacity magazines. Since high capacity magazines are considered “unsporting”, and would be in violation of 922®. Your rifle with mag has 14 parts. Use U.S. made mags and one additional U.S. made part like a gas piston and you are good to go.

Change the grip or stock. It'll be an easier, but more expensive option to get the one part you'll need to use 30rnd mags.