Just my Saiga .223 update

Well since you asked nicely here she is so far.

I still have some work to do and should be getting to it soon. I'm cutting off the FSB and putting on one from an AK 74. I just picked up a 74' brake at the last gun show and will be adding that as well. Also might have to put my new Kobra on there and try it out. I'll put up some better pics when I'm done.

Your's is lookin' awesome and sounds like it's just as accurate as mine! These babies rock!! :super:

post-1293-1125499721.jpg

Your's is lookin' awesome and sounds like it's just as accurate as mine! These babies rock!! :super:

Funny you should mention the accuracy. Last Tues night we had a rifle/pistol match. The COFs were a variety of steels at about 50 yds. The 4" square hangers got the AR crowd to throw hundreds of rounds down range. We had to put three rounds on each. EoTEchs, ACOGs, Aimpoints and irons. The steel just hung there and laughed at them boys until the AR forends looked about to melt. I dove prone and just as pretty as you please, PING, PING, PING, and so on. The director actually moved the targets up about 12 yds., and I got to reshoot because of the course change. Same shit all over again. Too funny. I was one proud SOB. As I walked past the group, I said, "never send an AR to do an AK's job." I have a Colt M-4, so it was cool to say it. Too cool! Too proud!

About the accuracy comment: That's great inparidel!

"Never send an AR to do an AK's job." I love it.

The last time I had my S223 at the range, I was shooting at some clays that somebody else left on the berm at 100 yards. I was frustrated because it seemed to be taking multiple shots to hit the things, and I know it can do better than that. I found out a few seconds later from someone else watching through a spotting scope that I was knocking little peices off of them. He thought it was intentional, commented on my good shooting, and asked if I was just trying to "whittle them down". So, after talking to him for a bit, I held the sights a little lower and started taking off much larger peices (about three shots per clay).

It's odd. I seem to great with small point targets, but grouping on paper? Much more difficult. Anyone else have that problem?

Oh, nearly forgot. That's got to be the most accurate bump firing I've ever heard of.

Oh, nearly forgot.  That's got to be the most accurate bump firing I've ever heard of.

No biggie since I learned how to do it from the shoulder using the sights. Just aim as usual, then take the butt off your shoulder a bit, then support the gun on your trigger finger. Pull forward with your left hand until you find the "sweet spot" and keep maintaining the same forward pull and use the sights. It's awsome.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I thought that I would finally post a few photos of my creation. Mine is not as neat as many that I have seen, but I have really just started to make mine my own. I have spent most of my time to work on making the rifle more accurate. I started by adding the scope but had a hell of a time getting it to work for me. So I finally gave up and went to the iron sights.

I found that at 100 yards the rifle was shooting a good quarter inch group. I was really amazed, since I have never been able to do that with the scope. I fired about 60 rounds through the iron sights and each time I had the same grouping. Since my sight is not that good and I can not get the same exact sight picture each 3 round magazine, I felt that a grouping of five inches overall with a few fliers was pretty good.

So I tried the scope again. I moved the target to about 10 feet away to see where I was hitting the paper. I fired my three rounds. I had a very close pattern (2 in the same hole and 1 clipping the hole.) I adjusted the scope. Fired. It hit the same area. I made massive adjustments. Fired. Struck the same location. Shoot!!!!!!!!! After all this time working to make a good rifle for prairie dogs, it was the scope that was the problem.

Needless to say, I need new scope.

Hope you learn from my mistakes, use the iron sights first to see if your rifle is accurate. Then get a scope that works.

:wub:

post-411-1126471473.jpg

saiga69-

thats a sweet lookin' rifle you got there. Sounds pretty accurate too. Ive been wanting to get an s223 for a while now. The more posts i read the more i feel the need to get one. I love the paint job! You do that one yourself?

awesome looking saiga bro!!

saiga69-

thats a sweet lookin' rifle you got there. Sounds pretty accurate too.  Ive been wanting to get an s223 for a while now.  The more posts i read the more i feel the need to get one.  I love the paint job! You do that one yourself?

awesome looking saiga bro!!

Yes, I painted it myself. I had some scratches on the stock block from the build and since I was broke, borred, and... Krylon take me away. I was painting my mosin and figured what the heck. I actaully liked it a lot. I keep debating about adding a muzzle brake.