Cycling issue after polishing bolt and carrier

SOLVED: extractor spring was the culprit in my case. sunnybean, thanks for mentioning about it! More details in my last post below.

Hi,

I need help to figure out/fix my cycling problem.

From the beginning it was working fine. I have a MD v-plug (just a plug) and regular slugs (remington) were cycling without issues on "-" setting. Low recoil winchester slugs were cycling fine on "+" setting.

After getting my carrier and bolt polished regular slugs cycling properly only on seeting "4" (close to the "+") and low recoil slugs don't cycle at all, even on "+" setting.

Please help with advise/solution.

Thanks!

Edited by mnemonik23

My neighbor's saiga also shoots slugs in closed gas plug just fine. There was even a post somewhere to use closed position for slugs to avoid quick led build up in gas plug chamber.

I think the culprit might be that bottom fixed extractor tooth (last picture), which is polished a bit more from one side. Maybe not... I have no idea. I'm not blaming Pauly or anything as he has done an amazing polishing job. I just need ti figure out how to fix it...

Well, it's not because of Pauly's work that's for sure. I find it odd that the weapon functioned on the first setting of the V-plug beforehand since that setting basically shuts the gas system off... mighty perplexing indeed...

Edited by mnemonik23

Just to recap our phone conversation;

1- Use the port gauge/cleaners provided to clean the ports. make certain .07" can fit in, then try to work .08" in.

2- Test with the factory gas plug & puck. (setting 1 for slugs, setting 2 for low brass)

3- Test with no optics or quad on. (especially no optics over the ejection port as this can cause a seeming FTE if the shell bounces off the optic & back into the weapon)

4- Test with the Factory 5 round mag.

(pretty much get back to basic Russian parts & then re-add parts as you test to troubleshoot.)

5- Make certain that the chamber is clean.

6- You may want to have other brands or lot #'s of ammo on hand to test.

7- Although I have never heard of an issue with the tuned extractor spring, I do include your original in the bag with the port gauges.

If you would like to test with the original, simply tap the pin out of the extractor with a pin-punch and hammer & swap in your original. (I do seriously doubt that's going to make a difference, but I try to return your original parts for potential future troubleshooting)

8- Keep me posted.

As I said on the phone, the only time I've ever heard of a performance reduction after GlassBolt was with a customer who had dirty ports although he thought he had cleaned the weapon well..

At first, when I was speaking with him on the phone the .07" would not fit, then he worked it in. Then he worked the .08" in. He said he saw a lot of debris in the barrel after cleaning the ports with the gauges provided with GlassBolt.

After he retested he reported that it worked great again.

Using the right size port cleaners ensures all built up carbon/wadding/lead is able to be removed from the ports.

Other than cleaning the chamber, everything above can be done at the range with simple tools so you don't have to shuttle back & fourth.

GlassBolt does not alter the lugs, timing, or do anything other than keeping power in the cycle through resistance reduction.

• Like 2

Thread jack, "port cleaning gauges" how can I get some of these, will OA tip cleaning kit work.

Never mind the tip cleaning kit will work

Thanks for the idear Pauly.

I spent some time at the range today and tested all possible scenarios that Pauly provided and even more. People were looking at me like I was some crazy dude that was converting a shotgun on the fly. I went with all factory parts except stock, pistol grip of course big_smile.gif and of coutrse I did not chanage the extractor spring - FTEs were still happening with low recoil slugs. The good thing I brough hammer and puches and replaced the extractor spring with original. And that was it! super_man.gif

It shoots both slug types just fine now.

Thanks to Pauly I learned how to take off a gas block and enlarge gas ports (which helped btw, as I can feel the difference!) - those ports were so tiny that even .07 pick would not fit...

I am happy now big_smile.gif

• Like 4