Unregistered firearms. Don't worry they'll show up with the perps in future felonies. The police will be able to cross check the serial numbers against the massive list that Walmart and other gun shops will be able to compile based on what was shipped from regional distribution centers to particular stores that were shut down and looted. Everything will come out in the wash. A few hundred citizens die in the hurricane, a few hundred in the turbulent aftermath, a few dozen are born as the cycle of life moves on.

There will be a big buzz for awhile but 12 months out this whole thing will be old news, no one will be responsible and you can flip a coin on who wins the next election because nothing will change anyway. The masses will once again fall into complacent slumber and the mega rich will continue to slowly siphon our blood until we are owned. The politicians will continue to lie, we will continue to pay our taxes while reasoning it is not worth raising our blood pressure over since there is seemingly nothing we can do about it all as an individual. After all, you can't fight city hall and who the hell wants to go to jail or prison for doing something rash in challenging the established status quo. Things aren't that bad.........yet, right? So let's all watch the news and do nothing but go to work, obey the law and pay our taxes because really nobody was responsible for what happened in NO or anywhere else in the continental US, right? "They" did there best. Those "refugees" otherwise known as citizen got water on day five or six. Hell, we could all go at least a week without clean water couldn't we? Besides some of those dumb bastards could have got out but chose to stay so what obligation do we have to them? We can sort those out from the others pretty easy just by asking right?

Well, now that I have shared a little sarcasm I'll get to my point. The truth is no one will be held accountable and nothing will be done to prevent this or something like it from happening here again because that is the nature of the beast as we have allowed it to evolve. People expect leadership to lie and have lousy ethics intead of insisting on accountability and integrity. Professional politicians and huge campaign contributions are a curse to the system our forefathers founded. Both lead to special interest which is always driven by wealth and power. We have relinquished our rights, our freedoms, our standards and expectations through apathetic acceptance.

What if there had been no hurricane but instead the release of a dirty nuke in three places in the country one of which is where you live? How much help do you think you would get in the midst of the chaos? What if the government quaranteened your area but didn't provide food, water, medical care or the basics as is now being done with many still at the stadium? The authorities won't allow these people to walk out because they cannot assure their safety or tell them where to go. So instead armed guards will not let them cross the bridge and leave the stadium where they are left with nothing but stench. This is the best we can do? No one is accountable? Why have Homeland Security and FEMA? There Is no command control to centralize direction and communication. Does it take a genius to determine that a centralized coordination of relocation would be necessay to facilitate providing the necessary basics and relocation of thousands of people? Our response was hack at best.

I am a conservative but I must say that contrary to some others opinion on the forum I do find fault with our government's response. There are specific people responsible for emergency preparedness and response. I also find fault with those who could have left the Gulf Coast but failed to exercise that option. I feel sorry for the victims. I think the looting beyond food, water, necessary clothing and medication was ridiculous. And those shooting at others should themselves be shot. I say screw rebuilding NO at 200 feet below sea level. It does not make good economic or safety sense. Invest the money in relocation and housing elsewhere. I don't want to pay for the same kind of crisis again in the future just because it is politically correct to rebuild it now as salve for the wounds of a poor response following the devastation.

http://www.pubs.asce.org/ceonline/ceonline03/0603feat.html

So enough rant already. The only way things will change is if enough common people rise up out of their catatonic apathy and demand the change with the threat of social upheavel. Absent that history proves the only other way is through violent overthrow which I do not anticipate in this country. We'll compromise first as it is easier and less risky. Besides the State would squash anyone trying an overthrow like a bug.

Peace gentlemen. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Wolverine :smoke:

Edited by Wolverine

Wolvie! You are a sarchastic, jaded, cynical old fart! GOD I ADMIRE THAT IN A PERSON! There is hope for the conservatives yet! You are right on target. The only way to have change is for the average joe to get pissed off enough to THINK before they vote. (a bit of research woulden't hurt either!)

Political activism and radical ideas-- an American tradition for over 300 years!

G O B