Cleaning up surplus Ak mags.... Cosmoline

Since most people agree that the European surplus are the best, i just ordered seven of those and waiting. But it seems like most of those come covered in cosmoline so i got to be ready to clean. Some guys boil water to get the cosmo shit out, others clean with chemicals. I want a quick and effective clean so i can have more time a the range. conversion of my 7.62 almost done.

haha.gif

How and what you guys clean cosmo out with

I use the dishwasher on potscrubber setting - no detergent, just heat, steam and water

oil all bare metal immediately afterwards though.

just dont let the wife know.

Edited by Venom

I use the dishwasher too, it's an old POS that we don't use for dishes because it takes too much water and I have a couple of kids still living at home that wash the dishes...

Now on my old Mosin parts, I have an old canning pot that is just for my shop uses, I boil water and toss whatever it is that needs 'de-cosmo'd" in it for about 15 minutes, take it out, most times it dries instantly from the heat but I blow it out with clean, dry compressed air then wipe it down with a rag that has a bit of CLP on it, then reassemble.

Mineral spirits dissolves it immediately as well, I bought some of those mags as well and was looking at them tonight, they have some super-sharp edges on the lips that I want to clean up a little, so I'm thinking a good wipedown with an old rag soaked in mineral spirits instead of the dishwasher this time.

I just take them apart. Run the sink as hot as it goes. Fill a big bowl with soapy. Scolding hot water and let the bodies. Springs. Followers. And floor plates soak for ten minutes or so. then wipe them down with paper towels. Give the springs and inside the bodies a very light coat of gun oil then reassemble.

The ones I have gotten from aimsurplus were very clean and didn't take much to get spotless. The ten I got at the gunshow last week. Well. Those were packed with Cosmo.

My wife has one of those Shark brand hand held steam cleaners. That is what I use to clean off cosmoline from Mosins to mags. Come to think of it, I probably use the steamer more than she does. It works great, parts come out clean and the heat makes them dry quickly then a normal oiling GTG!

Edited by Bigtwin

I did mine from AIM today, they weren't bad at all, just a little bit of cosmo at the top. Took the floorplate off, spring and follower out, ran hot water over it, scrubbed with Dawn and scrub brush, blew it dry and a quick wipe with some Remoil and put them back together and loaded them up. I'm torn between buying three more or buying ammo, and I'm thinking the ammo is winning...

My way:

Soak in a bucket of kerosene.

Spray with Simple Green and let soak.

Spray down with HOT water.

Spray down with Ballistol.

Wipe off excess.

Load.

Test fire.

This works with both soft (heavy grease) Cosmolene and hard Cosmolene. The hard kind looks almost like a plastic. I've cleaned rifles and parts covered with the stuff this way. Works great. No scrubbing. No rust.

Edited by patriot

I just break them down, take an old rag and wipe off all parts to eliminate heavy cosmoline build up. Then take some cleaning solvent and use an old tooth brush on internals and hard to get spots. Then wipe again with rag & reassemble.

Takes about 5 minutes a mag.

• Like 1