Cheapest Conversion (pics)

This was my cheapest conversion so far at 45 bucks for the internal parts.

Got it all at CSS

AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE

TRIGGER GROUP - SINGLE HOOK G2

DISCONNECTOR SPRING

GRIP SCREW AND BUSHING SET

I guess I'm cheating on the price because I'm not counting the price for the grips or optics hardware but I had them laying around. I reused the original buttstock because its the most comfortable for using with a scope. Taking the time to reuse the trigger guard saved some money too. Instead of buying a new forgrip I just modified the original like some have already done on this site.

I don't know why the hell I waited so long to do the conversion on this rifle but I certainly like it a whole lot more now. The pistol grip makes this much more ergonomic for using with a scope. I would say my personal accuracy absolutely increased not only with the better trigger pull but also the proper ergonomics to hold this type of rifle. If people are hesitant on doing a conversion because it might breaking the bank, this is a good example.

IMG_7049.jpg

I just sighted this puppy in at 100 Yards today and this was my best grouping I could get. Ammo was 150gr. FMJ Wolf. Good day at the range beer.gif

IMG_7046.jpg

Looks good! Did you use the BHO lever (I can't tell from the photo)? How much grinding etc., did you have to do to the trigger to get it to work well?

I decided on not reusing the BHO. The BHO spring was difficult to to manipulate and by the time I had it seated it just looked like it would cause problems so I removed it. I actually like not having the BHO sticking out and it was never used before so it seemed unnecessary, one less part to fail.

I did have to grind down the bottom of the G2 hammer on the bottom triangular side because the hammer was not reaching the bolt. It was being stopped by a pin on the bottom of the receiver. I do believe you can order modified G2 triggers that are already made to drop in yet if you study the parts this should not be difficult to attempt yourself. All you need is a dremel or grinding wheel.

Looks great to me. My 22 incher was a factory wood model originally. I really liked the feel, and tried going that route, but after I put on a regular stock, I couldn't get past how neato it looked. I still have the factory wood. Never know when my bad brain might switch. If I thought I had the wood talent, I'd just reshape it, but I know I'd ruin it.

But about the really important picture: sweet group!

• 9 months later...

I did mine for a mere 5 bucks for a trigger

and I traded an ar15 mag for a csspec 15 round mag. Also I paid 20 bucks for a tapco grip and screw and nut. so I'm in it 25 bucks and a ar mag. I got a wood stock for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine will be cheap, but not likely the cheapest...

Finally getting around to converting my 16" .308

I've always kept leftover parts from my AK collection and I have several stocks and pistol grips to choose from. I even have a spare PG screw and nut. So it's looking like the only part I will have to purchase is an un-modified FCG, if I can make the factory trigger guard work...

You CAN make it work. Heck I used JD weld and the trigger guard is sandwiched between the pistol grip and the mag release so as long as you leave it totally in tact it will go underneath both the msg release and the pistol grip.