Shortened Trigger Hook?

Hello, after searching around and not finding anything on it so here goes.

With all the polishing of the bolt and hammer going on, wonder if anyone looked at

shorting the trigger hook to hold the hammer lower thus keeping the bolt from making

contact with the hammer during cycling.

Understand some of teh bolt material removal is for keeping the top round in made from being deformed and makes loading the rock and lock mags easier.

Just figure throw this out and see if it has been done before...

Thanks, Layback

I think hes asking about the trigger hook actually holding the hammer lower on its axis. If you remove BCG assembly and have the hammer in the cocked position (hooked), there is still downward travel present when you push down on the hammer with your finger. Hes asking about shortening the hook, or adding material to the bottom side of the hook so it holds the hammer down farther on its axis, reducing upward tension or drag on the bolt carrier.

I dont know if the shortening that hook, or adding material to it to hold the hammer lower, will still allow the carrier to push the hammer down far enuf to actually engage the hook. I understand what hes asking but i dont know at what point it becomes an issue, for any reason.

• Like 1

keep in mind that during live fire, that hammer will be released and brought back to the disconnector by the cycle.

having a trigger hook that is lower will only affect the cycling after the hammer is cocked and the trigger is reset.

only times where that will be useful is getting a shell out of the chamber when the gun is ready to fire, or on the second half of a live fire cycle if your finger is really fast.

keep in mind that during live fire, that hammer will be released and brought back to the disconnector by the cycle.

having a trigger hook that is lower will only affect the cycling after the hammer is cocked and the trigger is reset.

only times where that will be useful is getting a shell out of the chamber when the gun is ready to fire, or on the second half of a live fire cycle if your finger is really fast.

I'm not understanding what the above comment is trying to say. Is it saying that during rapid fire the hammer is released to fire from the disconnect?

no.

The hammer is ALWAYS released from the trigger hook or sear when firing.

agreed.

lemme try and clarify:

keep in mind that during live fire, that hammer will be released from the sear and brought back to the disconnector by the carrier during the cycle.

having a sear that is lower will only affect the drag on the cycling after the hammer is cocked and the trigger is reset.

if your trigger finger is fast enough, you can let off the trigger and have the FCG reset while the carrier is still in contact with the hammer.

make sense?

Yeah, it makes sense, I'm just not seeing the entire point of the post. You said it will only affect the cycling while the fcg is reset, the fcg always resets after firing. It must reset so that the next round can be fired. The carrier still presses the hammer down far enough to catch the disconnect anyway, having a shorter sear will reduce lock time and possibly decrease trigger creep...

You said it will only affect the cycling while the fcg is reset, the fcg always resets after firing. It must reset so that the next round can be fired.

agreed.

the FCG is not reset until the sear is holding the hammer. most of the time, I let off the trigger after the cycle (extraction, ejection, feed, bolt lock) is complete. if the FCG is not reset until after the carrier has come to rest, the sear height has no affect on the cycling as the disconnector is holding the hammer.

The carrier still presses the hammer down far enough to catch the disconnect anyway, having a shorter sear will reduce lock time and possibly decrease trigger creep...

having a sear that is lower will actually increase lock time all other things being equal.

...I'm just not seeing the entire point of the post...

I think a few of us might be thinking the OP meant to shorten the trigger hook as in lowering the height of the sear. I'm included here.

Others might be thinking he meant to shorten the trigger hook as in having less engagement between sear and hammer. As in, shorten the length of the hook in the breech-to-muzzle direction. That's the only way your comment about creep makes sense to me.

The only time what you're talking about would matter is when you charge the action without having the trigger pulled (assuming I understand what you're saying). To affect the drag on the bolt when firing, the easiest mod is polishing and maybe slightly removing material from the hammer face. Just don't remove so much that the carrier can't press the hammer into engagement with the disconnector. That could be seen as an attempt to make your firearm full auto, though the protrusion on the rear of the carrier prevents the hammer's access to the firing pin until the action is almost completely closed.