East German Ak-74 ( 5.45 x 39) mags

Here's the issue. I live in New York State. New York law basically follows the old ( and subsequently repealed) Federal "Assault" rifle law language.

As such......pre-ban assault rilfes (with any number of "evil" featrures) can be legally owned, being "grandfathered" into the law langauge....as long as the gun was built pre Sept '94.

Same goes with mags. New mags are limited to 10 rd capacity. HOWEVER.... I CAN legally have 20-30 rd mags if they are built prior to Sept '94.

There seems to be no "date stamps" or date "code" on the various Russian, Chinese, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, etc mags...although realistically most are likely built before '94. Problem is.....can't tell for sure.

So....my solution is this----> I'm looking for "East German" mags. Seeing that the country was dissolved and re-united with West Germany in 1989-1990.....would make this an easy way for me to "prove" build-date compliance. There was no "East" Germany after 1990 so it would HAVE TO be built prior to '94.

Brings me to this---> where can I find East German AK-74 ( 5.45 x 39) mags?....and who would have the best price?...as I presume these beasts will be expensive. Also...are there ANY distinguishing features, stampings, lettering, code, or manufacturing "details".... that can help prove these are indeed "East German" ??

Thanks all !!!

Edited by IPSC45

Whatacountry.com 40 bucks basically all 74 mags are preban except for the green and plums and newer bulgarian circle mags still being manufactured for K-var. U should be good with any bakelites russian plums and tantal steel and polymers.

I am still consider my self a noob so if i am wrong some one correct me.

Edited by Jbanda1213

That's all very nice.....it seems you're saying most of these were manufactured before '94......but if BATFE comes knocking and asks for proof....what do I say?.....simply that guys on the web say so? Not trying to angle for an argument or anything.....but do you see the dilemma as to offering some sort of proof or reason for how to validate my answer ?

Are there markings of any kind that indicate date? And more-to-the-point......are there markings , colors, or build-characteristics that differentiate E. German from the rest? I think the E. German angle will be the most "convincing" way to go........since the country itself ceased to exist after 1990

????

Edited by IPSC45

When the batfe kicks in your door keep your history lesson regarding the cold war written down. I'm sure they will step back over the door they just smashed and go home. Google the history and version and production of different magazines.

I will sell you some magazines for 100 bucks a piece they will all have production dates written on them in sharpy with papers that back those written dates up.

I suggest you google "comcast ak74 magazine" click the first link then thank me for leading you to the cheapest soarce for east german mags.

Let me say from the outset....I did not make up the laws...so don't lambaste me for asking what I think are reasonable "proof" questions......whether jack-booted BATFagents ask about it.....or *whatever* authority asks for it under more normal "checking" circumstances. I better be prepared with an answer if the law is written the way it is. I have no control over that.

That said, and out of the way....yes......thank you very much for the link.....it helps by showing visual differences and markings.....essential to help differentiate the mags.

Edited by IPSC45

ak 74 mags where made in the following stages (esentially)

1 bakelite - replaced in early '80s with #2.

2 shiny plum

3 matte plum

4 true black

i doubt youll find any true blacks, but if you do, then they are current production and have been since around '92 or so. they have a "4" inkstamp up top by the locking lug, and plum mags have an "M". even some of the matte plum ones may be from the same time frame. stick with 1 and 2 and you shouldnt have any worries.

and the above only applies to russian mags.

I talked to US Palm the other day and they said they have no plans to manufacture AK74 mags. I hear their 7.62x39 mags are good. That would have given us a cheaper supply.

I watched something on diamonds yesterday. The video stated that DeBeers has stockpiled THOUSANDS of diamonds to control the supply/demand of them. Maybe that's the importing game we're playing as a country with these AK74 mags. Just a thought.

At least in my situation....and the topic of this thread.....newly manufactured US mags in excess of 10 rds would have been of no use to me....illegal in my State. So the Palm story has no relevence in this regard.

I bit the bullet and bought some East German 30rd mags from the source cited above.....being East German,they couldn't have been manufactured later than 94 so they fall under the "grandfather" ruling and are therefore legal for me in my State. Newly made mags would be limited to 10 rds for me.

That's all very nice.....it seems you're saying most of these were manufactured before '94......but if BATFE comes knocking and asks for proof....what do I say?.....simply that guys on the web say so? Not trying to angle for an argument or anything.....but do you see the dilemma as to offering some sort of proof or reason for how to validate my answer ?

Are there markings of any kind that indicate date? And more-to-the-point......are there markings , colors, or build-characteristics that differentiate E. German from the rest? I think the E. German angle will be the most "convincing" way to go........since the country itself ceased to exist after 1990

????

All surplus 5.45 mags are legal in NY. Now finding a vendor that will sell you them is another story. What a Country will, and Copes did until recently (but you can get them as rebuild kits still). As was said, all EG mags are obviously pre-94, as are Chinese 7.62 mags. Others are common-sense pre-94- Russian Plums, Polish Steel...simply because they were not produced after 1994. I think it is safe to say- though it is probably not provable- that all Bulgy 5.45 mags are pre-94 as well. You have to remember that the VAST majority of AK surplus was produced during the Cold War. Just don't buy US-made mags or any of the new K-var mags and you will be fine.

As for the BATFE, they are a federal agency. They don't enforce state laws.

I have yet to hear of a NY resident being arrested or even charged with using a post-94 surplus AK mag. Mainly because it is not provable that they are post-94 because they are not dated. And since 99 percent of all surplus AK mags ARE pre-94, I doubt the state would have much of a case. The NYS AWB is not something that is heavily enforced. It's not like cops are going to ranges to make sure the muzzle brake on your post-94 rifle is tack welded. NY has about 1001 other problems to deal with. Most likely the only way you would ever get charged is if you were arrested for something else and they wanted to add on to your charges. Much like 922r on the national level. Basically laws to scare people and make buying things they don't want you to have more difficult.

Edited by brandywine

Like I said at the outset....not angling for a fight. Say what you will, there *are* laws on the books,...and the vigilance with which the feds or state authorities go after someone....is a separate ( but GOOD) question. But before we get to THAT point of the argument....I want to be prepared with as much factual data as I can muster, and then act (buy) accordingly.... "just in case" I get called to task, ....for whatever reason....and under whatever circumstances....I may be called to task. If that day should come, I don't want to be fumbling with words like " well....most of this stuff altogether is pre-ban".....that won't cut mustard.

At this level of thought and preparedness.....I bought East German mags. East Germany ceased to exist after 1989-90, once it re-unified with West Germany. No way that the parts, then , could have been made after '94. I also have a well-documented and researched reference list of all AK mags, with pics and text ( idea came from a poster Jbanda1213 above re: the "comcast" data search).....that show the various build architecture of the mags,to prove that they are what I say they are ( Example, EG bakelite mags have a "mold number" on the lower/RIGHT side of the mag body, whereas other mags from other countries, have an arsenal mark or symbol there.,etc.

Truth-be-told....as I first encountered the whole Assault rilfe legal mess,and the associated "922r" parts count fiasco.....that indeed was my first reaction. Who will ask?......how many cases have (already) gone to court?.....under what circumstances?.

Indeed, I may be needlessly preparing for a judgment day that will never come.....but being prepared just takes a little more effort and noodling, ...good insurance in my book.

Edited by IPSC45

Hey, can't blame you for wanting to be safe about it. As a fellow NYer I feel your pain. To be honest that is one of the benefits of the AK over the AR in NY- lots more pre-ban stuff available, and for cheaper prices. Enjoy your EG mags, I have a few and they are nice. Just wish I had bought more back in the early 00's when they were $5! And that's when the whole country was under the same AWB, so it was way easier. If it was for sale, you could buy it. No state-to-state BS.

• 4 weeks later...