Side Optics Rail Removal

I have my S-12 all torn down and the "velcro" pretty much smoothed out. I want to remove the side optics rail (I think that's what it is). I saw a post on this forum a while back but can find it now. Can anyone link me up to it.

Seems to me you just drill out the front two rivets and weld the holes. The rear rivet get reused or replaced. I think to salvage the rear rivet you would just grind the head off and punch it back or out to remove the rail then shorten it up and re-peen the end of it. Am I on the right track here.

Thank

Arlan

I remove the rail on most of my Saigas.

There is not need to remove the rivets completly. I drill them enough to pop the rail of and then I sand them flush with a 90 degree router and a 100 grit sanding disk.

I have never had a rivet come out or loosen up.

Well, I got side rail removed this morning. It did make me a bit nervous but seems like all is going well. I drilled out the front and middle and drilled the rear just enough to remove the rail. Then I kind of reaccessed the holes a little for the welds. That was not necessary but what the hell. I made backing plates for the welds and now I am in the smoothing process. The rear trunnion rivet remains in place and is welded so I hope I never break it. Love this damn gun.

Picture of removed rivets with holes.

Holes welded up! I have ground them as smooth as I could and am waiting for the primer to dry. I hate waiting for paint to dry.

post-40745-0-30423500-1335208661_thumb.jpg

post-40745-0-75735000-1335208977_thumb.jpg

So far I've only removed one rail but like Boba Debt, I just ground the rivets down without removing them. Welding works too of course, it's just more involved than what I feel is needed for a good job.

And whats the purpose of doing all this work aside from any cosmetic considerations? I dont see the point.

If you're going to run a top rail the side one is redundant. If you prefer no rail at all, then the side rail is superfluous. It can also get in the way of a left side charging handle.

And whats the purpose of doing all this work aside from any cosmetic considerations? I dont see the point.

Somethings are just done for the challenge involved. I was never going to use this rail so I thought, "I wonder if I have what it takes to remove this thing. Sure would make painting that side easier. And since it's all apart, why not remove the gas block and drill just one of the three ports." So that's what I did and it's been fun. Not work at all. Fun, yeah that's right. Keep telling yourself that. Fun, fun fun.

Well the rail is removed and gun painted. I can say with certainty I am not happy with what I did with the paint. I listened to someone on this forum who said the primed their gun when they painted it and it came out soooo much better than his friends did. Priming was stupid. I can see myself redoing the finish in the future. It chips really easy.

post-40745-0-16110300-1335381616_thumb.jpg

Well the rail is removed and gun painted. I can say with certainty I am not happy with what I did with the paint. I listened to someone on this forum who said the primed their gun when they painted it and it came out soooo much better than his friends did. Priming was stupid. I can see myself redoing the finish in the future. It chips really easy.

+1 priming is stupid. Pakerizing would be better than primer, but if you are parkerizing, you probably won't be using spray paint. Just blast it with brake cleaner and let it sit a while, then spray paint.

• Like 1

+1 priming is stupid. Pakerizing would be better than primer, but if you are parkerizing, you probably won't be using spray paint. Just blast it with brake cleaner and let it sit a while, then spray paint.

That's what I did.