Accellerated break-in?

My recent conversion went well with my gun handling Federal birdshot like a boss with over 400 shells through it with zero malfunctions. The only FTE I had was in the first mag when I had it set to 1.

But having it set to 1 for some slugs, I forgot to change it back to 2, and it ran 100% from the shoulder. Then messing around me and my buddy were hip shooting it. Realizing it was running from the hip I bumped it for 2 mags with zero failures.

Can I contribute this to a break in period? Or is my gun horribly overgassed? My last S12 never achieved this kind of reliability with many many more rounds down the tube.

PS- Don't be an idiot like me and try and bump a mag full of 3" Super-X buckshots.

Edited by Chirpinsquirrel

Breaking in is not what ever really needs to happen. It doesn't do much after the first few cycles of the spring.

Reliability Mods vs. "Break In" vs. "Quick Fixes" - forum.Saiga-12.com

To clarify are you saying that it runs federal bulkpack birdshot on #1? What ammo specifically? Federal makes hot birdshot too, so brand and shotsize is not the whole equation. Federal "100 round value pack" 3 dram 1 1/8" Oz shot should not run on #1. Birdshot loads over 3 1/4 dram or so might be OK but that would still be fairly gassy.

That may be over gassed, in which case, an adjustable gas plug such as Gunfixxers or an autoplug is the obvious solution. Just dial it to the weakest setting that will run your ammo.

If I were in your shoes, I would verify the ammo, then pick up an Autoplug and probably a blackjack buffer to be safe. Lots of people would disagree with me about the buffer, but it is $10 insurance. If it causes problems just take it out. Otherwise it is softening all the impacts for no harm done.

Edited by GunFun

Well I took it out yesterday to see what's up. It ran good, but I decided to throw it in the mud for the 3rd time without cleaning it ever (emphasis on ever) and I actually got it to gum up with birdshot. So 300 walmart bulk, + assorted high brass, + being thrown in the mud every 100 rounds and getting extraordinarily dirty every time WILL slow a S12 down. But not with buckshot.

I should have specified Walmart bulk pack. I'm going to take it out another time to see what it does.

There is no such thing as "Wal-Mart" bulk pack. Theres Winchester or Federal bulkpack sold at Wal-Mart but Wal-mart does not manufacture ammo that Im aware of. I dont know what that term means.

Well I took it out yesterday to see what's up. It ran good, but I decided to throw it in the mud for the 3rd time without cleaning it ever (emphasis on ever) and I actually got it to gum up with birdshot. So 300 walmart bulk, + assorted high brass, + being thrown in the mud every 100 rounds and getting extraordinarily dirty every time WILL slow a S12 down. But not with buckshot.

Not if you have an autoplug...

It didn't gum up from the gas ports, they were fine. It was so much mud and carbon and grease gunking the recoil spring. It was difficult even pulling the carrier back enough to chuck a shell. Now comes the spray can blasting of the entire gun.

I should have specified Walmart bulk pack. I'm going to take it out another time to see what it does.

Try some Winchester Universal on setting 1. If it feeds the whole bulk pack in a Md-20 without a flaw while on setting one, you may need to invest in an Autoplug

Oh, to cover that gap, I made sure to get crap in there, I let it marinate. It functioned for 2 mags then must have become overwhelmed.

About the autoplug, I hear it isn't recommended for use with 3" shells, and I use LOTS of 3" shells, so I think a V-plug or something manually adjustable will have to do.

Yeah, it's called the autoplug...

You can get the V-plug, for more adjustability you could get the DPH plug.

Personally, I'd run the auto and a buffer, you ain't gonna hurt the autoplug by running 3" shells. TAC-47 over engineered it, you can't hurt it.

A V plug wont block anymore gas than your factory plug. I think a buffer would be a good idea.

I don't have any experience with a V-plug, but I have tested a Gunfixr plug and found it does restrict gas more than the factory plug.

managed to test out the S12 today.

Izhmash FCG, puck and gas plug:

1. with the plug bottomed out and backed off to position 1, 00B FTE 20% of the time. 016.gif
  2. backed off to setting 2, 00B ran beautifully, lo-brass FTE 100% of the time. 016.gif
  3. backed off more to setting 1 like Spartacus suggested and 00B ran perfectly. thanks Spartacus. beer.gif

then I changed out the factory gas plug for an original Gunfixr plug:

1. position 1-, 00B FTE 100% of the time
  2. position 1+, 00B FTE 100% of the time
  3. postion 2, 00B ran perfectly, lo-brass FTE 100% of the time
  4. position 3, lo-brass FTE 100% of the time...

From that one test with that one gun, I conclude that in order of most gas restriction to least:

Gunfixer 1-

Gunfixer 1+

Izhmash 1

(not enough data to keep going)

Final thought, I have a distant, vague thought in my mind that the V-Plug is the result of MD Arms taking over the Gunfixr plug business and updating the design. Any truth to that, or did I dream it?

• Like 1