I dont know what kind of a hit this car can take from a drunk driver in an old pickup but if you're after gas mileage, room, no bailout check out the Ford Escape hybrid 4cyl. Have not heard many bad things about them but we do have a few at my job. All are former NY state vehicles and we get them with over 150K miles and they are still chuging along. NYC cabbies use them too. Those are up over 300k and not much problems.

Owned one, hated it. There great for the city but as soon as they hit the country the backroads just eat these things alive. They also have a really odd center of gravity so any kind of turn feels a little tipsy, this could be because of the independant suspension. The trans also sucks balls.........mine was a 2005, maybe things have improved drastically

I dont know what kind of a hit this car can take from a drunk driver in an old pickup but if you're after gas mileage, room, no bailout check out the Ford Escape hybrid 4cyl. Have not heard many bad things about them but we do have a few at my job. All are former NY state vehicles and we get them with over 150K miles and they are still chuging along. NYC cabbies use them too. Those are up over 300k and not much problems.

Owned one, hated it. There great for the city but as soon as they hit the country the backroads just eat these things alive. They also have a really odd center of gravity so any kind of turn feels a little tipsy, this could be because of the independant suspension. The trans also sucks balls.........mine was a 2005, maybe things have improved drastically

That the thing about asking for car advice on a form. Everyone has different comfort levels and expectations. For instance im not in the city but its urban and i rarely see dirt roads around here and when i do its not much. A mile or so and then asphalt again. To me it comes down to reliability, resale value and gas mileage. If i could afford a Prius i would drive that. If the Excursion got me at least 25mpg city id drive that. But 99% of the time im the only one in the car so for me a Smart for 2 is fine or even a BMW Isetta (sp?) :)

Currently i have a 01 4cyl Toyota Solara (2 door camry) with 210k miles. Bought it a few years ago with 81k. I drive a lot and would rather not spend much money on gas. It gets 20mpg city and thats becoming unacceptable.

Edited by Arik