I was online and saw some vids on people having problems with serpa holsters, and I've heard they've been banned in a number of classes. I've got one and really like it, anyone have one/have issues?

I also heard Tex had a serpa when he shot himself.

I think when they hit the release, if there's any hang up when they're pulling out their finger can hit the trigger. If there's no safety or a trigger safety...BANG!

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 2

any holster that has you engaging your trigger finger to release the weapon is dangerous IMO...

I agree with Juggernaut. Seems like a bad plan to me to have your trigger finger hitting the release and being right next to the trigger on the way out of the holster.

It seems like one of those things that works better in theory than in practice. It's also possible that BLACKHAWK!'s execution was flawed and their patent precludes better, similar designs from being introduced by competitors.

Serpa holster problems are Internet Bull. I have been using Serpa's (1st for my Glock now S&W M&P) for years as well as every other co-worker in my section. I have used it for numerous dept. training classes as do our SWAT guys without any issues whatsoever. I call Bulshit on this one.

• Like 3

Serpa holster problems are Internet Bull. I have been using Serpa's (1st for my Glock now S&W M&P) for years as well as every other co-worker in my section. I have used it for numerous dept. training classes as do our SWAT guys without any issues whatsoever. I call Bulshit on this one.

That was my first thought. I've never had problems with mine, and if a douche like Tex shoots himself, that alone doesn't mean anything. But then why are classes banning them?

i beleive the serpa holster is designed this way to already have the trigger finger at the ready when the weapon is drawn if i remember correctly. classes are prolly banning them cuz most people in classes are novices and not experienced gun handlers. trigger discipline and practice goes a long way.

• Like 3

Why are some classes banning them?

I've met a number of Firearms Instructors who were plain full of shit, and just as gullible as others as to believing & perpetuating all sorts of bullshit.

I've been OCing and range training with my Serpa for a couple of years now, now problems.

My finger comes off the release and right onto where I normally index on the side of the frame.

I've fumbled the release mechanism/draw, a few times when doing draw/fire drills, haven't slapped my finger on the trigger... Yet.

I can see the potential, but that is why we drill.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 6

I've met a number of Firearms Instructors who were plain full of shit, and just as gullible as others as to believing & perpetuating all sorts of bullshit.

i agree with this ^^

That was my first thought. I've never had problems with mine, and if a douche like Tex shoots himself, that alone doesn't mean anything. But then why are classes banning them?

Furthermore, Serpa holsters are becoming a lot more prevalent for uniform carry, rapidly replacing issued Safariland holsters.

i beleive the serpa holster is designed this way to already have the trigger finger at the ready when the weapon is drawn if i remember correctly. classes are prolly banning them cuz most people in classes are novices and not experienced gun handlers. trigger discipline and practice goes a long way.

Inexperience and "high stress"... a recipe for disaster...

a serpa with a thumb release would fix everything..

Inexperience and "high stress"... a recipe for disaster...

a serpa with a thumb release would fix everything..

....Banging head on wall......that would defeat the whole purpose and beauty of the design! How about if you are not intelligent enough to use a certain product, you do not. And do not talk shit (not you Juggernaut) about something you are inept in using.

Edited by RedChallenger

It's just a holster.. no more, no less.. not an orgazmo sex robot that cleans your house for ya or anything.... Ya like it or ya don't. I personally don't.

It don't make ya inept just because ya dont like it... end of the day, use what works for YOU!

(ETA: there are fifty million different holsters out there, I have yet to see ONE that is better than all the others.. if you are Issued a piece of gear that you HAVE to use it's one thing.. If not, I'm sure their is one out there that will meet most peoples personal on/off duty or EDC holster needs if ya look for it)

Don't know why folks get in such a twist about gear on the interwebs..

If I had multiple students have an "accident" that resulted in injury due to improper operation of ANY piece of gear (if I taught a class), I'd probably want that piece of gear outta my class for liability reasons alone..

Since you're not talking to Juggernaut, I figure you must be talking to me.

I have had SERPA holsters, and I never had an issue drawing from one. I just decided I did not care for using my trigger finger to realease the weapon form it's holster and have said finger next to the trigger as I drew the weapon.

I don't see how my thought on the matter and decision makes me inept since I don't care for them and think they are a bad idea. I don't think my sharing my thoughts means I'm talking shit either.

Personally I like leather holsters better, sorry my opinion is different than yours.

I have had SERPA holsters, and I never had an issue drawing from one. I just decided I did not care for using my trigger finger to realease the weapon form it's holster and have said finger next to the trigger as I drew the weapon.

I don't see how my thought on the matter and decision makes me inept since I don't care for them and think they are a bad idea. I don't think my sharing my thoughts means I'm talking shit either.

Personally I like leather holsters better, sorry my opinion is different than yours.

Not directed at you or anyone else on this forum,, only at those that have shot themselves using a certain type of holster or shot themseves otherwise. Firearms are not necessarily for everyone.

Edited by RedChallenger

Not directed at you or anyone else on this forum,, only at those that have shot themselves using a certain type of holster or shot themseves otherwise. Firearms are not necessarily for everyone.

Fair enough.

Chile,

Frontsite has banned them. I think I saw that Larry Vickers doesn't allow them either, but can't find the exact text. http://www.frontsigh...ht.asp?Letter=I

Another related article from Marien Corps Times

http://www.marinecor...olster-092611w/

And thanks for all of the input. I have one and like it. Never had problems but I know there are a lot more guys out there (and on this forum) with a lot more training and a lot mroe trigger time. That's why I'm asking.

Edited by mizombiekilla

I saw all this a bit back, took it with a grain for salt.

I have a SERPA and have not had any trouble, I have not carried long.

I do get out and practice (unloaded) and am getting better, but I have not had to draw

in a real situation and hope I dont ever have to. I will keep up the practicing

no matter how good I get.

my reason for not getting one has nothing to do with fear of shooting myself.. but fear of the release mechanism failing somehow at the worst moment..

K.I.S.S... I know just as many people who love 'em as those who don't...

My issue came with pulling up on the pistol before my finger hit the release button and needing to jerk on it. Then I heard of things getting stuck under the button and it was enough for me to move to another platform. **That's me.

I now use a Raven Concealment holster.

i dont mind the serpa. i went from that to a safariland 6378 als, and from there to a desantis fams with a thumb break. and it was mainly for edc in and out of vehicles often and offered a higher ride than the previous, resulting in much more overall comfort for me. alot of it is about preference.

I've used a serpa on my duty belt for several years now. I won't use any other type of retention holster again.

You'd have to be a complete moron to squeeze the trigger as you drew from one, and if you do, you deserve what you get and should not own a gun anyways.

Do you need level 2 retention (I believe that's where you need to both press/move something, then pull the gun out; excuse me if my vernacular is wrong). If not, I've never wanted another action to pull out my gun. My BladeTech holster (molded kydex) holds the gun so it'll never fall out (you can shake the gun violently upside down and it won't fall out), and it's so much simpler to get the gun out, just pull it! no other movement needed. I would highly suggest something like that.

• Like 1

I think that the possibility of jamming up the Serpa release mech with debris to the point where the holster has to be destroyed to remove the pistol is a bigger problem than the location of the release button, but I agree that it's best to K.I.S.S. when it comes to holsters.

With that in mind; it's hard to get much simpler than the Clipdraw..

glockclipdraw.jpg

^ Pretty tough to fuck up or forget.. and a lot more comfortable than any paddle design, imo.

I have no idea if they're "approved" by the big-name instructors/schools, and I don't much care.

ymmv.

Personally, I'm talented enough to shoot myself without relying on any particular style holster. I do realize others may need a little help though.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

Thanks Tim, I needed a good laugh today.

• Like 1