Another Choke and Barrel question

So, I have a Saiga 12 with a 19" barrel and no threads. I've heard that the models with the 19" barrel AND threads are not choked, and that the models with 22" barrel without threads is FULL CHOKE.

So, my question is, with my barrel being 19" with NO THREADS, where does that put me as far as choke is concerned? How can I tell if its choked or not? Thanks.

So, I have a Saiga 12 with a 19" barrel and no threads.  I've heard that the models with the 19" barrel AND threads are not choked, and that the models with 22" barrel without threads is FULL CHOKE.

So, my question is, with my barrel being 19" with NO THREADS, where does that put me as far as choke is concerned?  How can I tell if its choked or not?  Thanks.

Measure it, or better yet, go shoot it. If it's full choke it's VERY full and your pattern will show it very clearly.

Send it to me and a case of shells, no make that a case of birdshot, buckshot and slugs (for your other post) and I'll take care of it for you :killer::super:

Two quick notes on this...shoot birdshot to see the spread. The heavier pellets (buckshot) will not spread much with or without chokes. Also, be sure you've "mastered" the gas system. Not much to master, but I still mix it up: 2 is for light loads, 1 for magnum. I know it sounds simple, but I'm forgetful so pleasant reminders are always appreciated. Have fun

Well, I like the idea of an adjustable choke. I was looking in the new Cabella's catalog and spotted this one called Pollychoke, its adjustable from Xtra-Full to cylinder bore and says it handles slugs Heavi-Shot and steel. If I get my barrel threaded I can go with that. I'm just not sure which type of threads to go with. Remmington, Browning, Mossberg, etc.

No one thread is better. They only happen to be different as shotgun manufactures didn't standardize early in the game.

If you have another shotty, match that so you can swap chokes.

If not, will you ever buy one of these three shotguns, if so which is likely?

If not, do any of your friend have a Browning,Mossberg or Remington?

If none of these, then I'd say get a Rem threading as they have a larger market share of shotgun ownership.

Isnt that trick used for 20ga?

Maybe so... but then you are trying to compare a choked 12 gauge on a 20....

since that makes no sense, I will refrain from posting a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on its head...

Seriously, a choked 12 gauge with a full choke will NOT allow a dime to drop in the muzzle, however a looser choked 12 WILL let a dime slip in...

thats the "poor mans quick way" to check choke restriction...

no dime = full

dime = less than full...

simple as that... as far as a 20 gauge goes... I got no idea what you could use for a gauge tool...

:smoke:

A quick question about Kmoore's post which I hate to even bring up since he has much more experience than I, but aren't Win-choke threads the most common? I thought Mossburg, Winchester, and Browning all used Win-choke, and ONLY Remington used Rem-choke. Thus, most shotgun manufacturers have the threading for Win-choke and this will be your most available choke tube. Anyone know more than I that can second Kmoore? Thanks

I haven't gotten to shoot much with my new chokes, but from everything I can tell Tom did a great job. My zero is perfect (or as perfect as adjustable sites can be), so I'm more than happy. I just want to shoot some more. And thanks for the info Dinzag...might be better to go with Winchoke for versatility and availability.