223 magazine options...

I have had a 556 before.. have an S12.. have had 5.45.. not new to Saigas.. but I have finally decided I am done with 7.62x39.. I love the round.. but I have gotten big into shooting my new AR so I want them to be the same caliber (556)...

I live in a free state with no mag restrictions (PA) the gun will be 922 compliant and all that..

so what is the deal currently with magazines?

want something durable..

what is the current state of AR adapters?

thanks in advance..

If I had a lot of AR magazines, an AR adapter would probably be my first choice.

I would be tempted too, but the premier AR mag, the PMag, is vastly inferior to circle 10 AK mags. Which is not to say that it is terrible, just that the best AK mag far outstrips it in quality.

i am going thru the same thing. a .223 Saiga and mag options. i dont like the idea of a mag adaptor which requires grinding trunnions, thats just me. so im going the bullet guide route and just recieved my Danzig guides for both round and flat trunnions. so i just layed the bullet guide into the chamber last night(no glue, no screw) just to see what it would do. i put in a Galil steel 35 round mag and the gun chambered nicely with me working several rounds thru the action by hand. i will be installing my guides today and will get back with results after i go out back and dump a mag or two...

I like the 5.56 Beryl mags. They require a little fitting (similar to what you do for weigers). They have metal reinforced feed lips but the locking tab is not metal reinforced. Why cut/grind on a perfectly good rifle to use an onferior AR mag?

Edited by canoecanoe
  • Like 1

I can echo jbanzai, Circle 10s are awesome and lock up tight. You only have to file maybe 1mm of the top of the front feed lip. (And the interdiction tab on the rifle to accept high cap mags)

I've found Tapco Galil mags to be very reliable in mine.

The Tapco Galils locked into my rifle just fine, but I found the amount of wobble in my rifle to be unacceptable. I am glad they work for you, though.

Edited by canoecanoe

As a weapon, I look for versitility. The capability to use AR mags is a no brainer for me.

Well, you lose some versatility as well. If I'm not mistaken, you can no longer do a mag hold (something that is very natural and useful on an AK), because you might accidentally actuate the adapter's mag release.

Edited by Jim Digriz

As a weapon, I look for versitility. The capability to use AR mags is a no brainer for me.

Well, you lose some versatility as well. If I'm not mistaken, you can no longer do a mag hold (something that is very natural and useful on an AK), because you might accidentally actuate the adapter's mag release.

what do you mean?

He means you may not be able to hold the gun like this anymore...

IMAG0274.jpg

Because you may push the mag release button on with your palm....

(Not my pic)

magadapter-5.jpg

Though I do think they make an adapter with the release on only one side of the adapter.

Edited by Pyzik

I don't get it: what's a problem with PMAGs?

My friends are using them as their preferred choice in the "sandbox", and PMAGs survive everything from the "moon dust" and scorching heat to Hindu Kush freeze.

From my personal experience, they're on par with Soviet OEM "Bakelites".

MagPul designed them using feedback from frontline operators.

PMAG is preferred stuffer for care packages, going into the sandbox.

I put ~750 rounds flawlessly through them using my AR adapter (MSA) and don't share the skepticism about their reliability.

And speaking of accidental drops while in mag hold: I'm doubtful it ever happened, unless you have a grip of steel.

MSA LHS release lever is not that easy to engage by accident.

Just my $.02.

Happy Shooting!

P.S. My friend, just back from the 'stan, said newer aluminum-made GI mags tend to have their locking tab bent easily and fall out the M4 mag well, what never happens to PMAGs.

I only used older style USGI mags (steel made) and they were staying put OK.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

The problem with PMAGS is that they are reported to not lock into the adaptors reliably. Nothing wrong with the mags, just the fit in AR adaptors. I also have experienced with the adaptors. I no longer have an adaptor (I have had both MSA and Renegadebuck). Just not for me. I like commie milsurp mags better.

the last two posts are exactly what is driving me nuts....

I want to use my pmags.. because they are reliable inexpensive mags..

I read one post that says they are fine.. and then I read another that talks about them falling out...

reliability is key.. why am I getting answers that are so all over the place? not bitching just trying to understand why the mag adapter works SO well for some.. but sucks for others..

• Like 1

Vladtepes, I know exactly how you feel. I was on the fence for few weeks at the beginning of the year on whether to order an adapter or buy more mags.

I ended up buying more Bulgy mags. I don't even have an AR (though plan on getting one). I love the idea of sharing mags between two platforms and I even like the way it looks in a Saiga.

My .223 already was giving me some unique problems and I didn't want to possibly introduce more.