Improving Pistol Marksmanship

you know what has helped me a ton? a quality Airsoft.. I can shoot in the house, draw from concealment & whatnot...

Ok, so I'm looking at these things for the first time and I'm seeing the spring type, CO2, plastic, metal etc.

I'd imagine the most important consideration would be that it be as near the "real" thing as much as possible in size, weight, etc.

Any tips on buying one of these?

I am not a naturally great shot but I know I am a good shot and even better with practice and having a gun that I am comfortable with.

The other thing is I believe I’m going to hit the target every time I pull the trigger. I don’t need to lift my head to see the impact I know I hit it when I pulled the trigger. While this may be more of an issue with shooting clay with a shotgun it is part of any type of shooting and even golf, you have to believe it’s a hit or you’re distracted and moving looking for the impact.

Something I should add here is this is probably most important when engaging more than one target with speed be they plates, bowling pins, or double tapping paper people shapes. If you shoot and move on to the next target it’s a lot faster than shooting watching the plate fall and then moving on. You have to know you hit that plate mentally without getting a visual confirmation.

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 1

Damn! Now I'm going to have to practice with my left hand, I tried some dry-fire with my left and it felt really awkward, I don't think I could hit shit with my left hand right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

I used to help teach CCW classes, and one drill we did was Left-Handed from behind a barricade. Everyone was nervous about that test, but almost everyone had BETTER accuracy left-handed than righty! (I should correctly say "Weak Hand or Off-Hand"!) We instructors always felt it was because people were so nervous about it at first, that they were being extra-careful with their form and technique. Also, the ladies were generally better off-hand shooters than the guys were. Sorry fellas! :)

They are built with a lower center of gravity and they can control their breathing better than we can. When we took our CHL classes I was so glad that my wife didn't out-score me but she annihilated the loud guy who's been shooting his 1911 for 16 years, it's practically a part of him, he's so good with it he doesn't need to aim.pat.gif She proved him wrong, and she had never fired the pistol that she used that day before the test... I was so glad that I tied her score...

• Like 1

A friend of mine and his wife went to CWP class and when the live fire part rolled around he said his wife jumped to the head of the line for loner pistols and when she got the all clear to start firing she started shooting. I think they were only supposed to fire 5 rounds or something at first and when she got started the instructor had to tell her to stop. She got dead into it. She'd never fired a pistol before.

Oh, and the pistol was a Glock 23.