EAA vs. RWC vs. Other Importers?. Any difference?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of a new old-stock Saiga-12 imported by EAA, or a more recent import from somebody like RWC? I've heard some of the more recent imports have started coming in without a scope side rail, but other than that, any reason to pick an older import over a newer one?

I'm sure this has come up before, but I can't seem to locate any threads on it by searching. If it has been discussed, maybe a link?

My only experience so far with Saiga's is a 7.62 x 39 that I recently purchased and converted myself. Came out great. I've caught the bug, and want to do a Saiga-12 next.

The 7.62 had the 'velcro' import marks obliterated on the right side and US Sporting goods on the left.

Here it is, semi-completed.... Would still like to add a flash hider, scope, AK style fore-end, Tromix/Ace folding stock, etc.

i-dXfD6jL-M.jpg

Edited by pfbz

Don't know about specific importers, but 2011 S12 receivers built without a scope rail (IZ-111s) tend to be "crimped"where the scope rail was left off, and can bind the bolt carrier during cycling causing predictable (and correctable) FTE issues.

...2011 S12 receivers built without a scope rail (IZ-111s) tend to be "crimped"where the scope rail was left off, and can bind the bolt carrier during cycling causing predictable (and correctable) FTE issues.

Interesting. I assumed that the lack of a scope rail meant, well, just that it had no scope rail! And that I could either add a scope rail or use one of the dust-cover or foreend type scope mounts if I wanted to scope the 12.

Buds has two different S12's. One listed as EAA (presumably old stock), the other as RWC (presumably new stock). They are effectively the same price. I tried to call and get more details on the differences from Bud's, but the call center really couldn't tell me anything other than what the description on the web site already said, and even the retail store couldn't tell me anything additional, and didn't want to open the boxes to actually check them out.

To make things a bit more confusing, the descriptions a week or so ago on both S12's said 'scope rail', and now neither one says scope rail!

I guess I'm going to order the newer one.... Or the older one... Or the newer one....

We've built with both, all, virtually every model. The one you want is an "IZ-109". It's got the standard AK rail mount configuration, and whatever other issues you may encounter - the bolt carrier binding during cycling due to a "crimped" receiver is not likely to be one of them.

My first S-12 is an IZ-111 with the import marking of TGI - Knox, TN. The one I got from Dan Clark over the Memorial Day weekend is an IZ-109 imported by RWC. He still has them priced at $599 which from what I've seen, is as good a price as you'll find.

My first S-12 is an IZ-111 with the import marking of TGI - Knox, TN. The one I got from Dan Clark over the Memorial Day weekend is an IZ-109 imported by RWC. He still has them priced at $599 which from what I've seen, is as good a price as you'll find.

I've built with them, and initial receiver bolt carrier clearance issues notwithstanding, the the price is great!

Most of the IZ -109s we have been getting in lately come from K-Var. They have around 220 left, and according to K-Var, once they're gone, they're gone.

Just ordered from Bud's. RWC IZ-109 $616 shipped, plus my $20 local FFL transfer fee. I didn't see the post about clarkearms until after I placed the order... He is actually a couple of bucks cheaper. I'll update when it arrives.

Lone Star, just checked out your website. Some beautiful Saiga builds! Probably a bit beyond my current budget though :-)

Edited by pfbz
  • Like 1

I just got an RWC IZ109 and 2 SGM 10RD mags from a dealer in MD for $692 incl. shipping...

My first Saiga, but I am very much looking forward to a long and reliable life out of it:-)

Am still trying to figure out 922 stuff, but am reading all I can in here.

...2011 S12 receivers built without a scope rail (IZ-111s) tend to be "crimped"where the scope rail was left off, and can bind the bolt carrier during cycling causing predictable (and correctable) FTE issues.

Interesting. I assumed that the lack of a scope rail meant, well, just that it had no scope rail! And that I could either add a scope rail or use one of the dust-cover or foreend type scope mounts if I wanted to scope the 12.

Buds has two different S12's. One listed as EAA (presumably old stock), the other as RWC (presumably new stock). They are effectively the same price. I tried to call and get more details on the differences from Bud's, but the call center really couldn't tell me anything other than what the description on the web site already said, and even the retail store couldn't tell me anything additional, and didn't want to open the boxes to actually check them out.

To make things a bit more confusing, the descriptions a week or so ago on both S12's said 'scope rail', and now neither one says scope rail!

I guess I'm going to order the newer one.... Or the older one... Or the newer one....

Buy the price when you see it at Buds cuz those prices go up with no warning based on "market value"