Ruger 10/22 promag 50rd. drum problems....

anyone else have them? i got one for my birthday last year and blows ass, but i dont want it too. the feed lips are shorter than the factory 10 rounders and it feeds like shit.

anyone have a remedy for this? i dont want it to go to waste, but it just sucks ass in its current state. am i alone in this?

i stay away from pro junk but this was a gift, and it costs a decent amount for what it is...016.gif

I need to put a 10/22 back into my collection. This is a great topic. I too would like to know the reliability of the 10/22 50 round magazines.

Any that work well? Any tweaks to make the promag run better?

Looking at other places on the web, shooters ridge and tactical innovations get good reviews. Anybody use them?

Edited by Stryker0946

i agree stryker, and this thing has been bugging me for some time cuz i love the idea of it. but i did notice that where the rounds feed from was damaged from shipping when i got mine, so i took a pair of needle nose pliers to them, but it still feeds like shit.

i dont know if i should load and unload it to see if it needs a break-in period, but i dont think its a spring related issue. it seems to be well built, but i cant get it to feed very good.

i also tried it in my buddies 10/22 but didnt have any success. same result.

I need to put a 10/22 back into my collection.

yes you do my friend!!!

I was just reading in another forum, at the ruger site... a guy had a similar problem and they sent him an upgraded unit. Said it still sucked.

Maybe if you used something like cci stingers or green tag. I remember my ruger 22's being picky about how they fed with different ammo.

well at first thats what i loaded it with was stingers. thats what my rifles loves the most, but not so much on the mags. i still have the reciepts and i sent them another email so i hope i hear back from them. but im not going to hold my breath.

and yes mine is picky with ammo as well. it likes winchester, cci and federals. it dont feed so good with any remington rounds.

but fuck. even if there is a mod i can do to get this thing to feed right, ill do it. cuz it looks sick when in the rifle, and i love the capacity. i just wish it was worth the hefty price.

wet_eyes.gif

• Like 1

I bet a good gunsmith could mate up the feed lips perfectly to the rifle for you. If you're good with a file, you could too. I believe the trick would be getting a good level and positive connection between the mag well and magazine so that the feed plate and lips were lined up just right. I remember my dad telling me not to hold the banana clip on the 10/22 when I wasn't much taller than the rifle. If I remember right, the magazine on the 10/22 is floating? Or at least sensitive to movement and pressure. Even my 17 mag seems to float inside the well. It's a bolt fed 77/17 that I always hand feed when shooting longer distances. The mag sometimes damages the soft plastic tips of the .17 round.

Well it's a PROMAG.

The Black Dog Machine drums work great

Here's a vid of a guy doing a mag dump in FA with a SWD M/11 9mm with a subcal 22 upper.

He was n the 5th mag before the gun got dirty enough to have one hiccup.

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

As far as fixing your promag I have no idea accept maybe set it out @ 100 yards and fire away!

Edited by armalite_ar50
  • Like 1

Before anyone starts bashing Pro Mag, I heard bad reviews about this drum magazine. I have Ram Line 50 round stick mags and they work well when they have 45 rounds. My Pro Mag stick mags for the 10/22 works flawlessly so I don't have any complaints about their products.

Drum magazines are a pain. Pete Kokalis wrote that drum magazines are dumb in Shotgun News and he meant them about the PPSh-41, AK-47 and Suomi drum magazines. They are more complex hence more prone to go bad and Kokalis wrote about their disadvantages. One in particular could cut off your fingertip if you stick your finger in while it is in tension. The Thompson submachine gun may be one of them and the US army used stick mags in theirs. That's why I don't own any drum magazines.

Some drums suck, some don't. The MD-20 kicks ass. Russian/Romanian top-loading AK drums rock - I've never had a single feeding problem. PPSH-41/Suomi (same design) drums are somewhat unreliable, but sturdy and functional. Most .22-cal drums are unreliable and somewhat shitty - AM-180 pan mags are surprisingly reliable, although the SMG itself is usually not. Had tons of OOB detonations every time I've fired one...

The worst drum mags I've ever used were these Promag 10/22 turds. I've been looking to pick one up on the cheap so I could disassemble and try to tweak it - at least try to reshape the feed lips and feed tower to more closely match those of a factory mag.

well i herd back from promag. they are giving me an RA number. maybe they can fix this thing. ill keep my fingers crossed.

I did that with them a few times and the last time I sold the sumbitch, new in the package, for half of what it lists. It took almost nine months to get that one back. They are shit and don't work. If you feel the need to have one, get the Black Dog Machine version. If that doesn't work, they will make it right...unlike ProFag.

Edited by master of the bush

I would throw them away and stick with Ruger factory magazines or Butler Creek magazines. We use to stock Promag Ruger 10/22 drums, but we don't know of any that were sold that didn't go back to Promag.

anyone else have them? i got one for my birthday last year and blows ass, but i dont want it too. the feed lips are shorter than the factory 10 rounders and it feeds like shit.

anyone have a remedy for this? i dont want it to go to waste, but it just sucks ass in its current state. am i alone in this?

i stay away from pro junk but this was a gift, and it costs a decent amount for what it is...016.gif

thats kinda what i was thinking. while the thought sounds great, i never had any luck with any of their products for any of my other guns. im just glad that i didnt pay for this fuckin thing. i dont even kow if its going to be worth shipping back to them. and yeah, the bx-25s seem to be the best route.

I've only owned 2 Promags, and both were total trash out of the package.

1. 8 round 1911 mag: First trip out, the feed lips warped, and wouldn't feed for shit. Sent it back, replacement did the same thing. Tore it down and used the follower in an extra mag body I had.

2. 30 round AR mag I found in a box of mags I got at a yard sale. NIP, so I figured I'd try it. Loaded it up, slapped it home on a closed bolt. When I pulled the charging handle, I had 30 live rounds flying out of the gun. I still had the bolt all the way back....lol. Popped it out, and gave it a once-over. Feed lips weren't bent right, and had a wave to the edges. I dismantled the mag, and looked down it. Nice 15 degree twist, Promag. I saved the spring/baseplate and tossed the body in my scrap bin.