What a difference a V-notch makes.

I was reading on another forum where a guy V-notched his rear sight on his WASR, and had a better sight picture. I had mine off to take care of the rear cant anyways, so i cracked out a triangle needle file and commenced to filing. It took a grand total of 30 seconds to do the modification, and the sight picture is a definite improvement. My eye wants to naturally center the post in the V, much like using the peep on my AR. In drill after drill, I was able to acquire the target faster than the traditional U notch, even in low lighting. After I finished the mod, I cold blued the entire rear of the sight. I'll try to get a few pics up tomorrow when I get home from work.

PS: no more rear sight cant, either. See my other thread on this.

I have been thinking about doing this (I must have read the same post). When filing, did you file into the lowest part of the U?

Here I drew some pics... Did you file like the red line in the first pic?

AKSight.jpg

If so, you want to keep the front sight level with the rear leaf like this...

AKSight2.jpg

To ME... I would instinctively want to line the sights like the below pic, causing my POA to be too high.

AKSight3.jpg

Thanks, Straydog. Kid has my camera, so stay tuned for mine.

The needle file I was using is in the set Harbor Freight sells. It was just the right angle and depth to hit the bottom of the U when the trailing edge was flush with the top of the rear sight. I plan on using some glow paint on it later for some cheap night sights.

Pyzik, my notch in the rear sight was just wide enough to line the front sight post up in before the mod. The needle file is a perfect triangle, so it becomes a 60 degree V only a shade over 1/8" wide at the top. I was taught to focus on the front sight, so it just "drops" right into place when i throw it up. When I shoot the pic, I'll have to remember to use my white background board.

Edited by Lone Eagle

Just thought I would post the mod I did on my sights. I widened the gap on the rear sight and added a second lower notch. This notch helps me line up the post quickly and perfectly. The wider gap greatly increased my sight picture. I also sanded down the front post to a slimmer profile. It may not be some people's cup of tea, but this complete profile greatly increased my ability with the irons. I even ditched my red dot in favor of this. To each their own. I just wanted to give you another design idea. I'm lovin' it!

post-35579-0-68070500-1339729414_thumb.jpg

pyzik, your bottom illustration is exactly how it is supposed to work and you will have to adjust your front sight to accommodate, that is how typical express sights work and i much prefer them to any other type of irons, they are faster than any other irons for me

Yeah, the more I have been looking at the pics and thinking about it, I think I am going to do just that. I'm gonna make the V and re-set my front sight.

Just making the U wider so that you can see the sides of the front post makes a big difference for old eyes!

Lets face it guys, any mod that helps you aquire the the target and front sight quicker is an improvment over the stock irons.

• Like 1

I might try this on a spare rear sight leaf that I pick up cheap.. but I can't bear to file the ones that came with my rifles.

I'm sure it will allow for faster target acquisition, but in a way, I'd rather train until I can use the standard notch n' post that much more quickly. I'm a big believer in learning to better use standard irons and other AK parts, (e.g. the safety lever), rather than modding them to suit you.

I do find that the 47-type slanted stocks allow for faster and more natural target acquisition, (as well as a better cheek-weld), than the later design used on the AKM and all newer models.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I have a tendency to look at the center of the front sight assembly, especially when the sight protectors are similar in thickness to the post. If they're a single unit like on the M1 or horizontally centered like on the AR, that's not a huge deal. AKs, on the other hand, take me another heartbeat to get my eye right on the post if it's not exactly centered, and I don't know how to fine tune for cant.