Any of the steel cased ammo pass a magnet test?

Was going to use my S308 in a 3 gun match next weekend and they do magnet tests to ensure no AP rounds get into the mix and tear up the steel targets.

I pulled a bullet from a Brown Bear 145gn FMJ round and low and behold it sticks to a refrigerator magnet.

Anyone know if any of the steel cased stuff (FMJ or SP) will pass a magnet test on a pulled bullet? I'd like to take the S308 out for some run and gun matches, but the lack of a steel cases round that doesn't have any steel in the bullet may make that an impossibility.

Thanks

Eric

Edited by towerofpower93

I havent pulled any steel cased bullets, but I know that all the cartridges I have will not. I have pulled some of my surplus rounds and those will not. I will pull some of my Tula rounds and see how those go, but I will likely not be able to get back as to what those do until tomorrow. Maybe someone else can give you a heads up before then.

My understanding is that all Russian rifle ammo is bi-metal.

With exception of ammo that is made for the California market, Many ranges only allow copper jackets so they make a special run from time to time. I only ever saw that for 7.62x39 but maybe some of the other calibers have it.

it's when those steel gongs get put into a match that the magents come out.

.308, surplus south african are not bi-metal, it's coper jacketed lead core. I know this for a fact because besides passing the "magnet test", I cut one in half and it's all lead core. it's pricey, but if you want to shoot metal targets it's either that or look for commercial lead core ammunition, which is still going to be pricey.

but, you know the old saying : if you wanna play you gotta pay

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

.308, surplus south african are not bi-metal, it's coper jacketed lead core. I know this for a fact because besides passing the "magnet test", I cut one in half and it's all lead core. it's pricey, but if you want to shoot metal targets it's either that or look for commercial lead core ammunition, which is still going to be pricey.

I got some Portuguese and DAG that both attract magnets, dont think we have much SA in my area anymore. 308. surplus seems to have dried up in my area

I got some Portuguese and DAG that both attract magnets, dont think we have much SA in my area anymore. 308. surplus seems to have dried up in my area

Do you have a link for the Portugese ammo? I'm looking at some for pretty cheap right now that's brass cased, but if it's what you're talking about and it doesn't pass a magnet test then it's a moot point as it obviously has something ferous in it.

Here's what I'm looking at:

https://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-nato.html

and some cheap Czech surplus:

https://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-308-win.html

Do you have a link for the Portugese ammo? I'm looking at some for pretty cheap right now that's brass cased, but if it's what you're talking about and it doesn't pass a magnet test then it's a moot point as it obviously has something ferous in it.

https://www.samcoglo.../Ammo-nato.html

https://www.samcoglo...mo-308-win.html

I dont have a link, but it appears to be the same one. We cant buy ammo online here so I happend to come across some battle packs in the shop one time and picked some up. Case stamp on mine is "FNM 82-21", which mean it is of the same production year as those are advertised with. I pulled some of the bullets from cases that looked more corroded than others and when placing a magnet on the bullet it did attract. I'd buy the Czech if I could get orders from online, that doesnt sound too bad for a crate and no warning of corrosion*

Edited by VR6Shooter

https://www.samcoglo.../Ammo-nato.html

https://www.samcoglo...mo-308-win.html

I dont have a link, but it appears to be the same one. We cant buy ammo online here so I happend to come across some battle packs in the shop one time and picked some up. Case stamp on mine is "FNM 82-21", which mean it is of the same production year as those are advertised with. I pulled some of the bullets from cases that looked more corroded than others and when placing a magnet on the bullet it did attract. I'd buy the Czech if I could get orders from online, that doesnt sound too bad for a crate and no warning of corrosion*

Thanks, I'll give the Czech stuff a go and see how it does before stocking up.