I agree....and if Mr. Haley there says its a good training alternative I'll listen. And like he said, don't just go to Walmart and pick one off the shelf. The Tokyo Marui guns are metal and are very good clones.

Some here are vehemently opposed to anything but the real thing. Me? Whatever helps you improve your skill set is a plus.

Long ago in a land where you could still play. BB gun wars were fought by children. Things like camouflage, flanking, ambushes and being behind a tree was much better than hiding behind the bush were learned at an early age.

Airsoft is just a evolution of that. Better to learn these things when it just stings..............

• Like 1

Some here are vehemently opposed to anything but the real thing. Me? Whatever helps you improve your skill set is a plus.

Long ago in a land where you could still play. BB gun wars were fought by children. Things like camouflage, flanking, ambushes and being behind a tree was much better than hiding behind the bush were learned at an early age.

Airsoft is just a evolution of that. Better to learn these things when it just stings..............

Sounds like a good lesson on the difference between "cover" and "concealment"....lol

• Like 1

Sounds like a good lesson on the difference between "cover" and "concealment"....lol

.50 BMG turns cover into concealment.

I used airsoft for training... When my buddy would slow down to early in the corners on his racing lawnmower. TING TING TING TING Strange how it worked, smile.png it did lead to some horrific roll overs, but he learned.

Edited by akastormi
  • Like 2

.50 BMG turns cover into concealment.

ALL training has it's limits. Unless you're using actual enemy combatants as training "partners", lol. Besides, it's a great way to teach the honor system since no one wants to play with a cheat. Also learned with BBguns as a child.

• Like 1

A large murder of crows recently started hanging around my area for a bit.... They were getting around the dogs's food.

Being as crows are a predatory bird and they, being vectors were posing a health hazard, by law they can be shot ... Issue is, I live in the city. Well, just so happens I still have that Red Ryder that my sister wouldn't let me give my niece.

So I'm plinkin' crows for a day (It really isn't unlawful, :) I checked with the police as well as fish & wildlife first).... I hit every one I shot at (even if I had to take multiple shots, because they just stay there when you miss & egg you on)...

Well, I was getting pretty good, until the last one. A large group was up in a tree about 175-200' away from where I was shooting from the sitting position & I ended up scoring a head shot, knocking one dead right out of the tree.

The rest of them bitched for a bit until I hit another, then they all took off & won't come back.

Looks like my backyard air-gun training is done. :(

I hear them a few blocks away, but they just won't stop by.

At least the dogs won't get sick & it's much quieter.

• Like 1

Ok, I don't train with airsoft and don't train with paintball either. I don't train anymore. My friends and I have all been there and done that. We can sharpen up when the shit hits the fan. Pretty sure we will still know how to use signals and flank the enemy.

If you want to use airsoft, do yourself a favor and practice wearing only your issued boxer shorts, shoes and a pair of sun glasses. That way, when you get hit, it will sting like hell and you wont go all rambo. Once you are hit, have your friends beat the ever loving shit out of you for letting the team down.

Eventually, you will start low crawling and using cover like normal people. If you don't use this method, you will become comfortable with sloppy technique and will end up dead thanks to your rambo techniqe burned in your brain from your airsoft and paintball adventures.

I played airsoft a few times after getting out of the Infantry. I was kicked off the team for butt stroking a cop who shot me after I hit him center mass and threw a simulated grenade (stick) into his fox hole. Still have a pretty bad temper.

That's not the point Mr Haley was trying to make with this video. He wasn't saying go out and play a simulated battle with airsoft guns. He wad saying that if you don't want to spend thousands of dollars and and trekking out to the range. You can practice fundamentals in your basement or garage...get good habits and techniques down before you send 200+ rounds of 556 or whatever down range. You could even practice when its too wet/cold outside.

• Like 1

Ok, I don't train with airsoft and don't train with paintball either. I don't train anymore. My friends and I have all been there and done that. We can sharpen up when the shit hits the fan. Pretty sure we will still know how to use signals and flank the enemy.

If you want to use airsoft, do yourself a favor and practice wearing only your issued boxer shorts, shoes and a pair of sun glasses. That way, when you get hit, it will sting like hell and you wont go all rambo. Once you are hit, have your friends beat the ever loving shit out of you for letting the team down.

Eventually, you will start low crawling and using cover like normal people. If you don't use this method, you will become comfortable with sloppy technique and will end up dead thanks to your rambo techniqe burned in your brain from your airsoft and paintball adventures.

I played airsoft a few times after getting out of the Infantry. I was kicked off the team for butt stroking a cop who shot me after I hit him center mass and threw a simulated grenade (stick) into his fox hole. Still have a pretty bad temper.

You and your friends have paid your dues, no doubt. However there are plenty of people who haven't had military training who could benefit from this. Anything is better than nothing.

You make several excellent points though. While I realize the difference in paint and lead (unless we're talking Chinese) some may not. It should also be established in advance as to whether this is a game or training. Big difference.

BTW, I always just wear cutoffs and tennis shoes when playing. Gotta draw the line on sunglasses though. Goggles ensure that I don't lose an eye. That would suck if I ever needed it in the future.

• Like 2

You and your friends have paid your dues, no doubt. However there are plenty of people who haven't had military training who could benefit from this. Anything is better than nothing.

You make several excellent points though. While I realize the difference in paint and lead (unless we're talking Chinese) some may not. It should also be established in advance as to whether this is a game or training. Big difference.

BTW, I always just wear cutoffs and tennis shoes when playing. Gotta draw the line on sunglasses though. Goggles ensure that I don't lose an eye. That would suck if I ever needed it in the future.

Check out the new sunglasses on the market. They will have a rating or an OSHA stamp on them. Then you can see in the sun again!

I was a marksman before I was a shooter and my opinion is that without the recoil and weight of your actual weapon, you're just shooting plastic pellets and getting the muscle memory which will translate into a bad habbit shooting. Either for marksmanship or field training, airsoft and paintball are pretty much shit.

We used miles gear, blanks and lasers, grenade simulators, etc. If you got shot, your key turned off the screaming buzzer on your shoulder. You were ashamed and probably ended up with some kind of punishment if it was an 8 up mistake. Later on, you trained with live ammo and if you fucked up, you didn't get a second chance. If you could train yourself with that same discipline using airsoft, you may learn something.

As far as marksmanship there are many variables missing, your trigger pull is not the same, there is little to no recoil, poor accuracy, less weight. Other than just having fun and popping holes into paper in your living room, you will get even less out of your training and will acquire muscle memory that will hinder your performance with your actual weapon.

Just my personal opinion. I could be wrong, but what the heck do I know! I'd just hate to see shooters get all warped from shooting some chinese piece of shit thinking it will help them.

If it aint rainin it aint trainin.

Personally, I like air-soft better than dry-fire drills or snapping in...

it ain't the be all end all.. but it will fortify your basics.. especially for EDC, drawing from concealment, etc.....