I have been working with the Magpul teachings with my support arm extended to the front of the rifle. Does anyone know of any handguards that go even or past the gasblock? I had looked at the MI extended rail, but it only covers the bottom half out that far. I have seen the TWS and the ultimak tri rail, but damn they are expensive. I am not displeased enough with my Ultimak and stock Saiga handguard to drop that kind of coin so far.

So for visualization sake, here's all three you mentioned. Looks like the more the gas block is covered the more you're going to pay. FWIW, the three you mentioned seem to be the only ones around.

Midwest Industries.

akssx.gif

Here is the railed version installed.

mi_ak4774Xpu_49.gif

UltiMak Multi Rail Forend System

ACR2-SLinst.jpg

TWS Kalashnikov Extended Hanguard Long: Warning! Nearly impossible to source at the moment.

TWSTSDAK5451.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor linked removed per policy.

I have the Ultimak rail and have found that it really only works well with the standard KVAR style handguard. Unfortunately this puts my support hand too close to the receiver for comfort. My support hand elbow is cramped. Is there any other lower handguard mount that works with the Ultimak rail? Alternatively, if I were to sell the Ultimak, is there another rail system that would allow cowitness with my Aimpoint micro the way the Ultimak does?

The Midwest industries rail with aimpoint top cover looks intriguing.

Edited by lunker

Sorry to thread jack, but im looking for an extended forearm to mimic the stock handgaurd but would allow me to use a magpull afg. What "extended" forearms fit a saiga? Do the universal ones work?

Which Saiga do you own? Standard AK handguards fit only after adding an handguard retainer. Try CSS, linked above.