Weighing options, need advice

Hello all, I have been lurking here since april when I got my saiga 12 and first of all i would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information here. Without learning from your trials and errors I couldn't have gotten my gun to cycle low brass like all the other cool kids. Anyways, three months and a saiga 7.62 later, and I am getting the itch again. I want to get an underfolder but I can't decide if I want to go the romanian wasr 10/63 route, or get a demilled polish parts kit, a nodak spud reciever, and do a screw build temporarily until i find someone or have the means to rivet it myself. The wasr would only be about 50$ cheaper. What do you think?

You don't want an underfolder. They look cool, but shoulder like ass

The question was "romainian wasr or polish screw build?" not "why don't I want an underfolder?" Folding stocks aren't really built for comfort and the tantal style folders are expensive and hard to find. The underfolder is also more compact.

Edited by thewanderer

Depends on how fast you want to be out there shooting. If you're not in a rush, I say get a kit and do a screw build if you don't have the means to rivet it. I think in the long run you'll be happier with the one you build yourself. Not to mention the basic fun of building. Also, if you check around on the various AK boards I'm sure you can find someone near you that's equipped to rivet and would help you. Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

I responded to your statement "I want an underfolder" If you haven't already, I'd shoot one before you commit to it. The side folders can be made quite comfortable with a cheek riser from amd65tech

The question was "romainian wasr or polish screw build?" not "why don't I want an underfolder?" Folding stocks aren't really built for comfort and the tantal style folders are expensive and hard to find. The underfolder is also more compact.

I responded to your statement "I want an underfolder" If you haven't already, I'd shoot one before you commit to it. The side folders can be made quite comfortable with a cheek riser from amd65tech

I don't now anyone who has one, but it seems there are alot of people who have them and like them. I was gonna save a wire stock build for if I ever get a 5.45. I mainly just want something more compact. I already weighed the other options. So if you had to choose between a wasr and nodak spud, which would you pick? Right now I'm leaning towards the spud.

Have you looked at an AMD 65?

I don't now anyone who has one, but it seems there are alot of people who have them and like them. I was gonna save a wire stock build for if I ever get a 5.45. I mainly just want something more compact. I already weighed the other options. So if you had to choose between a wasr and nodak spud, which would you pick? Right now I'm leaning towards the spud.

Yeah the AMD 65 is cool. But if I got that I would want to put a quadrail and get some cool sights or a lazer and a better grip and I will end up spending way more than I am trying to spend right now. And I want a more classic looking ak and the screw build seems like an interesting project. I guess the real reason i asked this question was because I just wanted to know if there was any major differances between a Bulgarian or a Polish ak.

Nothing wrong with a UF, I built a bastard AK and a S-410 for the wife, both with UF stocks. Folded the UF makes a 'long pistol' and is a lot easier to handle than a side folded stock. The side folders do make a nicer stock when unfolded, the UF needs a but pad and there is NO cheek weld. But The wife has back problems and cannot shoot from the shoulder. With the UF's they are perfect for her, and also usable as a shoulder fired weapon for others.

The polish kits are cheap by today's standards when you compare the other parts kits and their prices. Polish AKs are sweet. Great machining and assembly. The parts kit should have all the holes drilled in the right place. You'll end up with a top quality piece if you do your part.

I'll add this, get a polish 80% blank and build it on that if you can. You'll need to know how to drill holes, spot weld rails/plate and heat treat. If you can't, look into it real hard.

I think you only have to drill some holes for the front trunnion on the nodak receiver vs a blank although that would be cheaper. Now I'm really thinking about the AMD cause of this bug in my ear. I just cant imagine that wire stock being that much better. Are they considered a short barrel?

Yes. The original barrels are less than 16" but you can make a 16" barrel work or perm attach an extension/brake/fake can.

There's a lot more to a blank than the number of holes. It's not cheaper if you have to buy all the bits, reamers, spot welder, tongs, plus however you choose to go about heat treating.

If you're only gonna build one, nodak is the way, hands down. Betcha can't build just one...

http://centerfiresys...AKAGUN-AMD.aspx

You cannot hardly get a matching numbers kit with original barrel for that price, much less the receiver, build, and refinish

I plan to SBR mine

You are quite persuasive I've been thinking about the AMD alot now. Now my question is does the stock stay in place when folded or does it swing around?

Edited by thewanderer
  • 1 month later...