New to reloading, some questions

I have spent the past month researching tools round cost etc. and have some questions.

1. I am looking at a lee classic cast turret press with a 9mm carbide die kit, auto powder measure and auto prime feature for around 250 inlcuding shipping, Would this be a good starter because I can take out the indexing rod and essentially run it as a single stage too learn the steps, also I figure being able too switch turrets between 9mm and 40 which is going to be the bulk of my reloading. Or should I look into another manufacturer hornady, or lyman?

2. i plan on shooting mostly hard cast bullets out of my m&p's is leading going to be a huge issue I am probably only going too shoot 300 rounds a session as this is as much as I need for an hours shooting. also I plan too do this twice a month so 600 rounds or so a month, would a single stage be a better starter.

3. What other essential tools are there, tumbler obviously, caliper, digital scale, etc. what extras are good too have around for checking load specs and such.

4. What companies can you get primers and powders from and pay one 25 dollar hazmat fee, I have heard some companies charge by every thousand primers and every order of powder and some do not, ie wideners seems too only charge a one time fee.

Any other info or suggestions would be great, I have a lee modern reloaing manual 2nd edition on the way so I can start reading up and learning some more.

If you are running cast get a lee case mouth expanding die. It will keep you from shaving lead as you load the bullets into the case. The classic turret press I believe is one of the best presses made by Lee. Just don't but the other lee turret press that comes in a kit. It doesn't have a good spent primer disposal system like the classic turret press does. Lyman has a great cast load manual that should be included if you intend to shoot lead. Also, check out castboolits.com for great information on shooting cast bullets, and custom molds if you decide to cast your own.

xacex

Also, size lead .001 larger than your bore to prevent or reduce leading. For example, size to .309 for a .308 bore. 9mm bore can be all over the chart from .355 to .360. It would be best to slug your bore to measure what size you need in cast.

xacex

I was really hoping too find some 147gr. Cast round nose and buy in bulk, I may get into casting later on but right now buying them pre made is easier to get started. So far though cast bullets seem to be scarce, wideners carries 145gr. Lrn but does not have them in stock, I could go with jacketed and it would still bring rounds in right around 12 to 13 cents a piece which I am usually getting them at 21 to 22 cents a piece, so 50% ain't too bad. With cast rounds I am looking at 9 to 10 cents per round.

I was really hoping too find some 147gr. Cast round nose and buy in bulk, I may get into casting later on but right now buying them pre made is easier to get started. So far though cast bullets seem to be scarce, wideners carries 145gr. Lrn but does not have them in stock, I could go with jacketed and it would still bring rounds in right around 12 to 13 cents a piece which I am usually getting them at 21 to 22 cents a piece, so 50% ain't too bad. With cast rounds I am looking at 9 to 10 cents per round.

Or these..... http://www.berrysmfg...m_147gr_RN.aspx

Load them as you would cast bullets.

Edited by Yeoldetool

Thanks for the website 1 mile, school me on how too pick bullets cast vs. plated vs. jacketed, I understand the basic differences construction size and weight but how would you load a 124 gr. RN cast vs. plated or fmj would I want .357 in cast and say .356 in plated or fmj. School me on the basics of picking bullets and such, I seem too have the whole idea down as far as powder charge and case depth and OAL but the bullet sizing and types are making my head spin.

Thanks for the website 1 mile, school me on how too pick bullets cast vs. plated vs. jacketed, I understand the basic differences construction size and weight but how would you load a 124 gr. RN cast vs. plated or fmj would I want .357 in cast and say .356 in plated or fmj. School me on the basics of picking bullets and such, I seem too have the whole idea down as far as powder charge and case depth and OAL but the bullet sizing and types are making my head spin.

They are made to be the right size depending on how they are made... Whatever weight you want in cast is .357... plated will be .357, and fmj will be .357.

Order the bullets for what you want to reload they will send you the right ones. Thats their business. :D

they make the bullets so they are the right size for you to load... no fuss no muss. dont try to make it harder than it is... cause its not. 032.gif

000.gif

If it makes your head spin maybe you should stick to buying boxes of ammunition. Do not assume you can treat a plated or cast bullet the same as jacketed when it comes time to reload. If you didn't check out the G spot I mentioned earlier to get your bullets for half of what Berrys cost you missed out.

I just spent my first bit of cash on the press kit and tumbler, once I get the the book in I will go ahead and order some bullets, powders and primers I can get locally fairly cheap. I understand fmj is different than plated and cast and needs to be sized smaller than the plated.

Hope to get started soon got time too burn and brass sitting.