Finally decided to get another wheel gun. 4" stainless Ruger GP-100. It got back-ordered, but I'm hoping to pick it up Friday or Saturday.

The stock grips seem nice enough, but I kind of want something different. I've looked at the grips available from Hogue and I see a couple that I like, but I haven't found anything in gray laminate like the Badger SP101 grips. Anybody have any leads on this?

Also looking at night sights. Metroprolight is the standard and runs ~$120 per set. I've found XS sights for ~$80, but I'm not a fan of their rear sight. Any other options I'm not aware of?

And the tough one- holsters. Seems like the good ones have to be custom. So who's got a leather guy that won't charge me an arm and a leg? Not looking for EDC with this big bastard, but I'd like to have a decent lined leather holster, if only for the range.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/RUGER/GP100-4

Copy the part number for the model you want and search for it on Amazon for best pricing.

Desantis makes nice holsters IMO. I have the lined thumb break models for my S&W 625 and my FNP45 and i'm very pleased with the quality vs. price point.

I'm no help for the grips question.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/RUGER/GP100-4

Copy the part number for the model you want and search for it on Amazon for best pricing.

Desantis makes nice holsters IMO. I have the lined thumb break models for my S&W 625 and my FNP45 and i'm very pleased with the quality vs. price point.

I'm no help for the grips question.

I do like Desantis! I've got one for my S&W Sigma that I love. So far, they seem to be the best option out there under $100.

What's getting tough now is setting my priorities. I figured with no mags to buy, this gun would be cheap!

...silly Jonny. There's no such thing.

By the time I add the cost of the gun, sales tax, night sights, grips, and a holster; I'm over the 1K mark without a round through it.

Perhaps it's time to rethink this hobby...

Pfft! Like that'll ever happen..! :)

Was drooling over SS GP-100's for a while and finally bought one used but NIB unfired for $425 (4" barrel) on Gunbroker this spring. I really wanted a 3" barrel but for the price I had to jump on it. The stock Hogue grips had to go though. Got a set of the old style stock grips with the rosewood inserts and it looks much better now.

Only thing that's a bit disappointing is that deeply rolled "Read the manual...." on the side of the barrel. Really not very attractive. The newer lasered or etched message is much better looking.

I almost talked myself into selling/trading it off against the Wiley Clapp..... too friggin' much money though, and I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Here's some ideas on grips:

http://altamontco.co...Ruger_gp100.php

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

Since you asked, I'd suggest you leave it alone and use it a bunch. You will find that it works perfectly in a stock configuration. I have used mine for years completely stock in the worst conditions. I use it while prospecting in the rivers of Montana. It's used to fight my way back to the shotgun when the bears come in and see what you're doing in their river. I prefer the .357 for bear since the .45 is slower and has more surface area when it hits the thick coat. The .357 is fast and punctures the coat much better than a .45. I have actually shot bear with both. I'me sure some city slickers will start popping off on how their caliber is better.

This pistol is completely abused. It gets cleaned up after every trip. She gets soaked and full of sand, mud, water and then gets coated with a nice moon dust after we tear down the gear and pack it back out. I was concerned with the wood inlay. Figured it would warp or crack. I rubbed a lot of mink oil and bee's wax on it to treat the wood and it still looks almost new. The stock grip gives grip even when the thing is wet. The rear sight blade is nice and bright. Not sure if they have changed anything over the years. I doubt it. I've had some instances where I just shook my head after hearing the sight get bashed on "rock or something hard". Not once did it get marred or move around. It's a super accurate pistol still to this day.

The holster I have is very safe. It was designed for police work. It locks the pistol in and the strap comes over the hammer and locks it in nice. It draws pretty quick if you have a holster belt on. It prevents most hits to the weapon and wont allow any snags. If you have any give on your belt you need to use two hands. This is an old BUCHEIMER CLARK C9-3 M. It fits the pistol like a glove. AN unbelievable fit.

SAM_1568.jpg

• Like 4

Here's some ideas on grips:

http://altamontco.co...Ruger_gp100.php

Cool! That's more like what I was looking for. Thank you!

Since you asked, I'd suggest you leave it alone and use it a bunch. You will find that it works perfectly in a stock configuration. I have used mine for years completely stock in the worst conditions. I use it while prospecting in the rivers of Montana. It's used to fight my way back to the shotgun when the bears come in and see what you're doing in their river.

The holster I have is very safe. It was designed for police work. It locks the pistol in and the strap comes over the hammer and locks it in nice. It draws pretty quick if you have a holster belt on. It prevents most hits to the weapon and wont allow any snags. If you have any give on your belt you need to use two hands. This is an old BUCHEIMER CLARK C9-3 M. It fits the pistol like a glove. AN unbelievable fit.

SAM_1568.jpg

Wow! Now I feel like having this as a range toy is wasteful... Where can you find a holster like that?

I have a set of the black Badger wood grips on my SP101. I just checked their site and see that they don't offer the same color for the GP100 grips.

But I would email him and see if he can do it. Worst he can say is "No".

I think it was your thread on the SP101 that started this whole thing. Those grips make me drool! :)

I might just have to contact them...

• Like 2

I have a set of the black Badger wood grips on my SP101. I just checked their site and see that they don't offer the same color for the GP100 grips.

But I would email him and see if he can do it. Worst he can say is "No".

I think it was your thread on the SP101 that started this whole thing. Those grips make me drool! smile.png

I might just have to contact them...

Those grips are very drool inducing!greedy.gif

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/74371-just-picked-up-the-sp101/page__hl__sp101

You can find the Clark holsters at army surplus stores and at pawn shops. They were standard issue to police and MP so there were a ton of them out there. They were made in Commiefornia and are top top notch leather. Everything fits like a glove. I picked mine up dirt cheap at a pawn shop in Kalispell Montana. Over the Hill Gang. Totally awesome unknown shop that has lots of good equipment and a really nice stash of precision iron sights for competition made before my time. Love that shop!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

After a MONTH of waiting on my usual guy, I got fed up. When I'd finally had enough of the waiting game, I went over to ask him what the hold-up was. Only to have him disappear for a week...

I hated doing it, but I gave up and went to a bigger shop. Walked in, browsed for 30 seconds, paid an extra $100 over what my guy quoted me, and walked out with the exact gun I wanted when I wanted it. Kinda sucked the fun out of it, but now it's mine!

post-32852-0-12376700-1348292305_thumb.jpg

post-32852-0-48859500-1348292344_thumb.jpg

Disassembled, deburred, removed factory oil, polished engagement surfaces, replaced hammer & trigger rebound springs (10 & 8lb, respectively) with WC spring kit, relubed, reassembled, ran ~200 rounds through it, and got my mind blown. Tack driver!

Picked up a Bianchi 'Black Widow' holster for now 'till I decide on a better one. Although somehow, even though it dwarfs my 1911's

post-32852-0-13374200-1348292324_thumb.jpg

it has become my new EDC! Did not see that coming.

• Like 2