Hopefully my brain can come back :/ (rescue please lol!!)

I have been reading , reading , and reading to the point I want to vomit lol.

Just got a Saiga Sporter .223 , Leigon Arms is the importer. I didn't have much saiga knowledge and didn't even intend to get this guy -- I was shopping for an M&P1522 , and they had this guy (last one) for $450 so I got it ...

When at the LGS .. my gun guy showed me the SGM 30rd mag and said this goes right in and I'm g2g. Well , the weekend came and he was off -- and I stumbled upon the 922r stuff you guys prob. hear newbies asking about a million times a day (I read too many threads to count)

I passed on the $50 mag and ordered it online for $31 shipped and just got it today... I called my guy at the LGS a few hours ago and here's the convo ..

"Hey mike , so what's all this "922" stuff , and what's the easiest way you can add another US part (I know the SGM counts as 3 per the card that came with it) ? My heads been hurting trying to figure this one out

(he laughs)

Mike : Are you counting the stock ?

Me : No I thought it was Russian

Mike : Nope , that's why we added it -- for that specific reason , your fine to shoot it.

I don't have the desire to change anything on my gun I like it the way it is .. It came with an "UPGRADED STOCK" (per reciept) and from what I've read -- it's an SVD style polymer stock. I thought it was Russian but I guess I was wrong ... It has no markings on it other then "OTK 31"

So am I good to go? I love the stock and love the rifle -- but sooo many back/forth info and opinions it drives me crazy so I thought you guys could clear my head up.

Tried to post a pic but it didn't show up .. hmm

post-44020-0-89574700-1345668669_thumb.jpg

Edited by Minkman

edit: you know what, fuck it. I deleted my whole post.

I don't mean to be rude, but there is a whole bunch of 922r info available on the top of the forum in the sticky posts. Look at them and you will probably get this figured out.

As it stands, your rifle is probably not compliant if that stock is US-made. It is especially not compliant if you are using 30-rd SGM mags.

Edited by mancat

Ughhhhh

I've read all the 922r info ...

The question was the stock , im sorry if you took me coming off as ignorant ...

30rd mag (3 us parts) + us stock = 922r compliant , which is why I posted -- I wanted to confirm the stock was us made

Guys the real issue is that I live alone in a single room studio , I own 0 tools -- and am about as handy as a 90year old woman ...

So can someone tell me what the easiest thing to get the one more part is ? I'm guessing handguard (I like the sock) , but if I can get a trigger for $30-40 I'd pay a smith $50 to just put it in , but I don't know which "drop in" trigger to get for my setup.

Please ignore my ignorance -- I've read a lot to try and avoid posting , but I can't get a good answer on some questions (and I am aware fully of 922r , I just can't install anything and confused)

It's not a problem to ask your questions. Most folks here are only too willing to help a newbie. 922r can get pretty confusing.A US handguard would work for you as an added part. Yes, you can get a US trigger assembly in the price range you mention. I'm not sure what a smith would charge to make the change, though. If you change the trigger group, yoy will probably find your buttstock to be unwieldy.

I know this doesn't resolve anything for you, but keep noodling this over and you will figure something out. I am sure others will add more info for you.

It's not a problem to ask your questions. Most folks here are only too willing to help a newbie. 922r can get pretty confusing.A US handguard would work for you as an added part. Yes, you can get a US trigger assembly in the price range you mention. I'm not sure what a smith would charge to make the change, though. If you change the trigger group, yoy will probably find your buttstock to be unwieldy.

I know this doesn't resolve anything for you, but keep noodling this over and you will figure something out. I am sure others will add more info for you.

Actually your response was very helpful ! You answered a question I couldn't think to ask (re: new trigger and the current stock)

I luckily got in touch with someone with vast knowledge who's willing to help , so again -- thank you for your reply !

I'm sorry if I offended anyone , I am truly just seeking some help...

I have a gunsmith that can install a trigger ... Is the arsenal trigger with Bulgarian hammer okay with my setup?

Nobody is upset with you.. Sorry if I gave that impression. It's just that there's way more info in the top of the forum, and the legal subforums, that it's almost worse for you accuracy-wise if we just sit here re-posting it from memory.

You need to convert the FCG to standard AK config before you can drop in any normal AK FCG. The only thing that is swappable in the factory config is the hammer, but most hammers will have to be modded to either make clearance on the right-hand side of the trigger axis pin "sleeve" for the BHO lever, or if for some reason you cannot mod the hammer, you will need to remove the BHO lever and lose that feature.

Most people here will probably tell you to do a conversion on the rifle to get the benefit of better ergonomics, standard AKM parts compatibility (especially FCG), and satisfy your US-made parts count in order to use hi-cap mags.

Edited by mancat

Thanks Jet I'm going to get one right now (plus free install)

Then I'll be saving $500 for a slide fire stock , and FCG so she's really ROCKIN' and Rollin'

Thanks guys

The SlideFire just turns money into noise, as fun as they are. A good trigger job would be a better bet.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of my 223. Second build ever, Have done 12-15 rifles , and 6 S12's since. Guys at work keep bringing them over to be converted.

Edited by Jetmech
  • Like 1

Awesome looking AK JET !!!

Well , I was going to pass on the SSAK stock , but I found this on google , and it seems like a great deal ... I have a little extra money so for $350 I get the SSAK stock / Aresnal FCG and since my quote was $35 for the trigger, and $35 for the stock/grip install ... I think I'm goinna pull the trigger on this package.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-conversion-kit-w-slide-fire-solutions-bump-fire-stock-p-2777.html

I just got my rifle back as well with the new handguard !

post-44020-0-22054300-1345852119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Minkman

I'm going to on Monday capt' !!!

I can't wait ! Do you guys know a source for 50rd or 35rd mags ? All info I see is from 09'-11' ?

Side note : Buying 500rds of .223 can't wait to post a range report -- I hope I like it how it is !! The stock is growing on me and I'm thinking I may keep her how she is and just shoot the snot out of her !!!

it'll shoot fine out of the box. you dont HAVE to convert these, most of us here just prefer to. i noticed a difference in accuracy and trigger pull with my saigas that i have converted. my ex - x39 seemed to benefit most from it, as the linkages in the trigger were rougher than on my .223 for some reason. but as long as your content with how it shoots, then thats all that matters.

whether you convert it or not, sounds like you now have the AK disease. it will get worse.

• Like 1

Lol yup I'm hooked ! And captain thanks for the best reply yet lol !!

Going ammo shopping and going to hit the range once the hurricane leaves Florida !!

LGS has 500rds .223 in a sealed case thing for $180 ,

Is that a good deal or should I find ammo online ? It seems good to me but im wrong a lot

P.S. I would suggest you do a trial of Tulammo or Herter's .223 before you buy a batch of it. I have never had any luck with it in my Saiga. It's weak and will routinely jam in the chamber due to out of spec cases. There are tons of people with similar problems with this ammo all over the web. My rifle will eat anything else, just not the current garbage that they are packaging in those Tulammo/Herter's boxes.

Edited by mancat

i ran some tula through mine, but it was only about 50 or 60 rds, but fed fine. i was still expecting to have trouble with it, from all the horror stories ive herd. im going to pick up some more this weekend and see if it keeps feeding ok. though i dont expect it too, if it does than cool.