Hi Everyone

It has been a year or so since i did a review on one of my firearms and posted it live..I thought i would share with everyone here on my new glock 30 460 Rowland conversion that i did..i made a video on youtube and it tells you the difference between various calibers that i own.Tell me what you think..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQvlrMniiSs&list=UUkznvl5ECCCRkVh5dUC7qnw&index=1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE6nn8djStQ&list=UUkznvl5ECCCRkVh5dUC7qnw&index=2&feature=plcp

you need a light and could use some scripting so you walk through what you say quicker, and maybe trim it. Either way, great info and decent enough video. It's hard to self film and pace well though.

questions I have is, why not a longer barrel?

For hunting here you have to use at least a 5 inch barrel. I am interested in using something like this for hunting, so I'm sure there is a full size conversion and possibly even with a longer barrel?

Also why have a compensator? (this comes down to preference for me)

I know, less recoil, but fuck me that gun has all the sound going right at the top of the lane and back onto you at the range, and for hunting it's going to not make friends *shrugs*

I had a 32C (.357 sig) and that gun was more annoying to everyone then my .41 mag with crazy loads, I can't imagine the 460 Rowland...

My thing on compensation on a pistol, I'd rather have the sound and fire going more in the direction of the bulllet and deal with the recoil *shrugs*

Hi..Thanx for the reply..Sorry for the long video but its hard to get most of the facts in quick enough without boring too many people with a long video.The reason for compensation on the gun is to reduce the recoil factor on the polymer pistols and also to ease the wear and tear on the glock frame.. I was doing some research on the pressure levels of the 460 rowland loads...and they got it vamped up to 40,000psi v.s the standard 45acp at 21,000psi..you can also get the glock 21 conversion kit or 1911 kits that will give you the barrell length you are seeking..I chose the glock 30 because of its size and form factor..

• Like 1

Like the video, I personally wouldn't put so much emphasis on a pistol myself. I'm fine with a .40 and a rifle, if I gotta take a hog I'm going with a rifle before I opt for a pistol. In a SD situation, I'd find the .45 or .40 to be equally as efficient at stopping someone with less $ per round. I love ballistics and all that but just because something proves to be more powerful, doesn't always make it better. Shot placement is best in the end, caliber always comes second to it.

Yes in the glock pistols the tolerance levels are high enough to withstand the powerful 460 rowland cartridge.You can also Shoot 45 super out of it and 45ACP..So you have 3 calibers in one gun haha.gif .According to wikpedia here are the ballistics for the 45super ..45acp and 460 Rowland

Maximum Average Pressure is: 45 ACP (21,000 PSI), 185 gr (12.0 g) Silvertip JHP, (1,000 ft/s) (411 ft·lb) 557 J

Maximum Average Pressure .45 Super (28,000 PSI) 185 gr (12.0 g) JHP, 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 694 ft·lbf (941 J)

Maximum Average Pressure .460 Rowland (40,000 PSI) 180 gr (12 g) JHP 1,560 ft/s (480 m/s) 1,000 ft·lbf (1,400 J)

$35?

the site is 50 for $50

No if you buy it from Georgia Arms or JDs custom bullets they cost 35.00 for 50 rounds.. 460rowland.com website are little more expensive.

• Like 1

According to their site (for the XD's) they use a storm lake barrel and RE CHAMBER it for the .460. It says they use a custom barrel but I'm thinking this only means thread aftermarket barrel, NOT reinforced for the .460 by storm lake. Otherwise they wouldnt have to re chamber it.

So basically their taking a standard 45 barrel and DOUBLING the pressures. This cannot be safe, Im no re loader so I dont know but I'm pretty damn sure those barrels arent designed to handle those pressures.

Also I couldnt find any mention of the brass they use?? Is it like the .45 super with reinforcement to handle the pressures or some other case necked down????

yes the barrel is reinforced and the walls are thicker.when compared to my standard 45acp glock barrel and 1911 barrell..spoke to the customer service over there and they have to reinforce the barrel for it to handle the 40,000 psi pressure of the 460 rowland cartridge..or the gun would eventually blow up..The brass they are using is made by starline..and the 460 is not based off the 45super...check out the history on wikpedia or better yet give them a call and they will tell you it..here is wikpedia site info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_Rowland

• 1 month later...

Ok so i have an update on the wear and tear on my glock using the 460Rowland conversion... After 300 bucks worth of ammo and 920rounds later..the glock frame has proven itself all over again..It still remains ontop of its game..i have not had any pieces fall off or shown any major signs of wear and tear..I have had a few misfeeds but no failure to eject.the loads i was using were the full powered 185gr Nosler Jacketed hollow points rated at 1550fps loaded to 39,000psi..I have included a few pics of my glock below

post-16872-0-97040900-1349403081_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-62589300-1349403147_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-11423600-1349403180_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-08744100-1349403229_thumb.jpg

• Like 1