Klimovsk Ammo?

Couple of posts on several boards that say if it aint corrosive it's as close to is as you can get, they experienced rust in the bore and had to "pogo stick" the bolt open. I'd shoot it as corrosive, clean the bore with windex followed by your regular cleaning routine as soon as you can after shooting.

And it supposedly stinks rather badly...

Edited by mogunner

I shot up 500 rnds of that a couple years ago that I got fairly cheep... Took me about a month to shoot it all. I treated it just like brown bear, golden tiger, or wolf and ended up with rust in my gas tube for the first time ever. At the time I'd typically go out once or twice a week and empty a couple mags. Every other outing I'd wipe out my receiver and run a bore snake through the barrel and leave it at that... little oil where needed. Point is, I'd leave my gas tube untouched for a month or 2 at a time, like I'd do with non-corrosive. That ammo was my go to range round while I had it, and by the time I finished it off the rust showed up.

I can't recall the smell of the ammo when shooting, It was strong though. To be safe, I'd probably do a good cleaning and take care of the gas tube after a day at the range.

Thanks for feedback guys. I like trying different ammo when it's on sale.

Want to keep my plinking ammo stocked so I don't have to get into the Golden Tiger or Mil Classic HP's.

Do know what you're talking about regarding the smell with corrosive. The 7N6 has a strong ammonia odor. Didn't make the cat piss reference cause I'm a dog guy, but I get it.

May reserve this case for the hard chrome mini draco.

Here's how a milsurp nut put it to me.

"If you shoot it, and it smells like cat piss on a hot day, it's corrosive."

The odor is the trace ammonia in the salts cooking off. You want cat piss stinky, shoot a couple of hundred rounds of Yugo M67.

I have some 'sapson' brand ammo, with the 8m3 bullets, and it smells like that. I kinda figured thats what it meant.

post-31894-0-34493000-1346694758_thumb.jpg

I usually clean my saiga every 1000rds or so. usually just a quick wipe down between range trips. i shot 500 rds of that stuff and my bolt rusted closed, there was rust at the holes on the gas tube and at the end of the barrel. It sat for maybe 2 weeks without wiping it down. So id say its semi corrosive. ive shot over 4k rounds and never had any issues till this ammo. My uncles saiga had the same problem with the bolt rusting.

For you guys that have shot this and beleive it to be corrosive: Do you recall or can you check to see if the primers are gun metal gray or if they are brass colored? I have read that gun metal colored ones are corrosive and the brass colored ones are not. Is this true?

I have an unopened case of this I bought late last year and I am curious as to whether all of it is potentially corossive.

For you guys that have shot this and beleive it to be corrosive: Do you recall or can you check to see if the primers are gun metal gray or if they are brass colored? I have read that gun metal colored ones are corrosive and the brass colored ones are not. Is this true?

I have an unopened case of this I bought late last year and I am curious as to whether all of it is potentially corossive.

Is this just for 7.62, or Russian ammo in general? Pretty sure all of my M67 and 7N6 have brass-ish colored primers.

This is interesting...dialog gives me an excuse to take a few pics. The case is supposed to be delivered 9.11 (appropriate).

I'll break out a few different brands I have (5.45 included) and document the primers.