Warning! This is a Useless topic!

But

Did you know that the factory handguard (rifles anyway) is STEEL reinforced? I was not aware until I took one in on trade that had been milled (for ventilation) and in the cutaway, you can clearly see the steel. I know most guys trash the factory handguards, but for those who don't, just thought you might like to know.

So the factory mags aren't the only polymer parts that are steel reinforced.

I had read on one of the "customizing the saiga factory handguard" threads that they were steel reinforced toward the front of the HG, and that you needed to be careful when cutting through the front area. I did not see any reinforcement when I vented my 7.62 HG, but I never got close to the front either. I just assumed that it was reinforced in selective areas.

The factory handguard is stronger and a lot better made than most of the crap people replace it with! They are metal reinforced at the front .

Absolutely well stated. I have cut Saiga rifle hanguards very short and the re-inforcement stops about 3/4" rearward from the center of the front screw hole. I'm not sure where it stops in a shotgun handguard, but I would assume it is centered at the screw hole.

I love factory handguards. I have melted a couple, but it really took an insane amount of nonstop rapid fire to do it. I had to put a metal insert in one of them at the attachment point and it is still used with no issues. The factory units look like they belong on the weapon, MAGPUL RVG rails can be easily added for mounting a grip or light, and they can be bobbed to look a little better. I actually prefer the Saiga rifle handguards over any aftermarket offering. It matches the lines of the weapons and actually does it some justice, unlike tri/quad rails and those KVar handguards.

post-22401-0-63193700-1347110523_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...