My Vepr only weighs about a pound more than my SGL in the same caliber. Its a non issue for me.

Well, im paying a few hundo to drop about 5 ounces off the front of my AR, so a full un-needed pound is a big deal for me. Ounces=pounds=pain, eh?

Great deal on a sit-and-shoot rifle though, my dad bought one of the 20" today.

My Vepr only weighs about a pound more than my SGL in the same caliber. Its a non issue for me.

Well, im paying a few hundo to drop about 5 ounces off the front of my AR, so a full un-needed pound is a big deal for me. Ounces=pounds=pain, eh?

Great deal on a sit-and-shoot rifle though, my dad bought one of the 20" today.

I can see that.

Buds has them in stock again, as of 2 days ago. $399 for 7.62x39 (IZ132). No tax (unless you live in KY), and free shipping. Saiga's are demand related. When they come in, they flood the market, so prices drop due to competition.. when they are in the "waiting for import" stage.. prices skyrocket. I laughed at a few dealers yesterday at a gun show when I saw a WELL used (beat up) 7.62x39 stock Saiga going for $499. I told him, "I could get this new at $399". He scowled and said, "yeah.. good luck finding one!". I pulled out my Iphone and showed him that the new shipments are in and showed him the Buds lising for $399". He walked away. lol

Some dealers are just scumbags and will jack up the prices if they think you'll pay it rather than wait (even if it's just months).

Edited by Brian M1

If I had a shit ton of money I would open a joint venture Saiga factory in the US making real saigas, with real Russian engineers and specs, but with more reliable supply lines. Anyone want to give me a shit ton of money?

Yes I do, but I just checked my wallet and don't think 8 bucks would do the job.

• Like 1

Just bought three 7.62x39s @ 405 per. These are 2012 models so a shipment had to have come in.

Yay!!! Congrats Tim. I haven seen any in my neck of the woods, though I suppose I will here before too long.

Thanks. I'm thinking they are finally here but if you see (and want) one I would suggest not hesitating. My FFL has a very good rapport with distributors so is as likely to get a first shot at them as anyone, IMHO. He also said a few of the big companies are buying them up to do basic conversions so the shortage may not be alleviated to any great extent.

Just bought three 7.62x39s @ 405 per. These are 2012 models so a shipment had to have come in.

Eh, seems the going price lately. I may jump on one is they hit $350 before christmas.

You may not be doing any jumping then.

Any noticeable differences between 09 & 12 models?

Threaded barrel ?

Just a quick cursory glance so far, but my initial impression is that they are a little better in quality than the 09's. All the stampings (on mine, at least) are crisp and straight. That goes for the serial numbers too. Paint looks good which may be because they don't have that accursed rectangle to paint over. No canted sights and the welds looks great, again, on mine. The FSB/muzzle end is one piece so I would assume it isn't threaded. Seriously, they look somewhat better than any I have bought before. Importer is RWC Group LLC, Tullytown, Pa.

Two of mine are sequentially numbered. Does that mean they should be set up as twinkies or salt and pepper? I'm leaning toward the latter. A matched/mismatched set sounds intriguing.

• Like 3

One other tidbit, concerning Veprs. Matt said he's heard from more than one distributor that Vepr won't be staying in the US market. This isn't his opinion, nor mine. It's just a persistent rumor that's out there on the distribution level, for what it's worth. Frankly, I was surprised to hear such as I thought Vepr was just starting to try for a larger market share.

One other tidbit, concerning Veprs. Matt said he's heard from more than one distributor that Vepr won't be staying in the US market. This isn't his opinion, nor mine. It's just a persistent rumor that's out there on the distribution level, for what it's worth. Frankly, I was surprised to hear such as I thought Vepr was just starting to try for a larger market share.

That'll just make the VEPR a great investment.

• Like 2

I plan on picking up another Vepr as it is. Their starting to grow on me. Bad. And according to K-var, they should be carrying spare parts anytime.

But if they dont stay in the market, they may just come in to country in much smaller batches. I wont worry about rumors until we get some solid proof. Things seem to change alot in the gun market. Izhmash is retooling their plant for the AK12, so they seem to be cutting down on production of the Saiga's. Seems like anything can happen.

Eh, seems the going price lately. I may jump on one is they hit $350 before christmas.

You may not be doing any jumping then.

Yer right. Probably as unlikely as $500 VEPRs. Inconceivable!

You might know more than me on the subject, then again, you might not. I scoured the internet looking for 7.62x39s recently and paid 450 and 465 (total) for the last two I got. These were also the less popular 20 inchers. Most everyone here knows they were becoming scarce before the latest shipment. If Matt is correct about major players buying them up to do basic conversions then the price will not go down. If you realistically expect to get one for 350 before Christmas I'd wager it isn't going to happen. My FFL paid 360 per gun and IMO the only people who will be able to get a better deal than that are the big boys, buying substantial quantities. Seriously, if you can beat that, I would appreciate a PM.

Thanks,

Tim

That'll just make the VEPR a great investment.

I agree wholeheartedly. I probably won't be buying one anyway and will once again state that it's an unsubstantiated rumor. It's just what Matt has heard from the distributors he deals with.

I plan on picking up another Vepr as it is. Their starting to grow on me. Bad. And according to K-var, they should be carrying spare parts anytime.

But if they dont stay in the market, they may just come in to country in much smaller batches. I wont worry about rumors until we get some solid proof. Things seem to change alot in the gun market. Izhmash is retooling their plant for the AK12, so they seem to be cutting down on production of the Saiga's. Seems like anything can happen.

I'm thinking you're right. There is a lot of fluctuation due to so many things we're not privy to. Personally, I don't see why they would try to get into the US market in the first place only to bail out. Then again, Mikhail Kalashnikov has never answered my e-mails either. You think it may have helped to translate them to Russian before hitting the send button? smile.png

• Like 1